• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Ryan1234 - figured you were with HMJ - good job you guys do - and good luck with the AF. Although after flying with Snort I don't know how you decided on the AF! :)

Reconjoe

Centennial T-45 from TW2 should be there. If you hear a stud's head exploding somewhere over Fond Du Lac on the radios....

ryan1234

So let me get this straight...you've flown jets in a demonstration squadron, and the air force, in its infinite wisdom, decides to make you a NAV?!

Cool story otherwise, man. Best of luck in nav school.

Hardly anyone in the AF knows or cares what an L-39 is (or any warbird for that matter), I'm getting old...and the AF made a big push for CSOs/Navs in my particular OTS board - if I didn't take it, I would be too old by the next board. I got a 96 on the pilot portion of thr AFOQT, but was arrested when I was 18 for a "potato gun incident"....so maybe that had something to do with it....either way I'm pretty fortunate to get to serve in a flying capacity... And definitely looking forward to all the training. We'll see what the future brings... The old company just acquired about 10 A-4s... So it'll be exciting either way.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Centennial T-45 from TW2 should be there. If you hear a stud's head exploding somewhere over Fond Du Lac on the radios....

I'd be curious to hear from those that have flown in to Oshkosh to see if it's the same, and I know Sun 'n Fun is smaller, but...

I've flown into Sun 'n Fun both on the civilian side and on the military side (both the Wiener and the -60). It was far less hectic bringing a military aircraft in as there is different course rules and they just bring you directly in.

I actually had the entire Sun 'n Fun "show" stop just for me in my little T-34, thanks to a very helpful Airboss. The demo portion had gone longer than planned and we were scheduled to arrive after the demo. I had already stopped once for gas but because of the delay, we ended up holding for almost an hour south of the field. They continued to give us updates, but when I finally said I'd need to go get gas if we were going to wait much longer, the Airboss worked us in right after the show but right before the mass exodus of all the GA planes (when the Tower took over). So there we are, show center making our approach and landing while everyone waited for us. Then we taxied in to our static spot while all the people watched and took pictures and made us feel like rock stars.

Yet another great visit to KLAL.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Hardly anyone in the AF knows or cares what an L-39 is (or any warbird for that matter), I'm getting old...and the AF made a big push for CSOs/Navs in my particular OTS board - if I didn't take it, I would be too old by the next board. I got a 96 on the pilot portion of thr AFOQT, but was arrested when I was 18 for a "potato gun incident"....so maybe that had something to do with it....either way I'm pretty fortunate to get to serve in a flying capacity... And definitely looking forward to all the training. We'll see what the future brings... The old company just acquired about 10 A-4s... So it'll be exciting either way.
Interesting. I was just reading an old IFS thread and came across this:
Dude - forget the civie time, you should consider not doing the accel course. I have pretty much most Commercial fixed wing rating MEL,MES,SEL,SES with a fair amount of acro/warbird/ tailwheel time, blah blah... And I just got my ass kicked by the T-38 sim. Take EVERY study/training advantage you can - seriously! It's different
not trying to be a super duper internet sleuth, just curious why your stories dont seem to match

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I'd be curious to hear from those that have flown in to Oshkosh to see if it's the same, and I know Sun 'n Fun is smaller, but...

I've flown into Sun 'n Fun both on the civilian side and on the military side (both the Wiener and the -60). It was far less hectic bringing a military aircraft in as there is different course rules and they just bring you directly in.
Yet another great visit to KLAL.

Took a Prowler into Oshkosh circa 96 and it went fine. Filed IFR, picked up mil fuel at Scott and hit our arrival time to the minute. Right hand carrier break at max warp to the 6100 foot runway was a bit sporty getting stopped. Great four day though. Stayed at my pilots parents house on the lake and took their ski boat for beers at a local microbrewery.

A good Navy deal overall.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot

not trying to be a super duper internet sleuth, just curious why your stories dont seem to match

Huh? I am pretty slow, but failing to see the inconsistency. He said that the T-38 sim kicked his ass, he didn't say that he was in the sim on a pilot syllabus hop. Plenty of people climb in the sim, to include parents, friends, and kids.

Granted, I don't really know this guy, or care for that matter, just don't see it based on what you posted.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Huh? I am pretty slow, but failing to see the inconsistency. He said that the T-38 sim kicked his ass, he didn't say that he was in the sim on a pilot syllabus hop. Plenty of people climb in the sim, to include parents, friends, and kids.

Granted, I don't really know this guy, or care for that matter, just don't see it based on what you posted.
Like I said, I was just curious, not accusing him of anything. Perhaps I could have worded it a bit better

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I'd be curious to hear from those that have flown in to Oshkosh...

I had flown in twice in college in a C-170B....very intense and need to keep your head on a swivel. First time in the military was what I had mentioned in an earlier post - two TA-4's. We had stopped for the night in Champaign, IL and visited old college friends after getting a couple of X's on our students on the way up. The next morning, we flipped for the lead. Both of us had been to Oshkosh as civilians, but neither of us while in the Nav. I lost and flew the wing. Going in, we both expected to get sequenced in somehow with the civilian traffic. As we were switched over to tower with the field in sight, landing west, I started to take interval on my lead. I was a couple hundred feet in trail when the controller said to bring it in low and fast for a right break over the numbers, "just like you do it at the boat", were his instructions. We figured we were dealing with a former Navy controller so I quickly closed it up and we hit the numbers doing about 325kias. Just as we were approaching the numbers, the controller made a comment about how good we looked and asked us to delay our break till the departure end so everyone could get a good look. We naturally complied and broke over the departure end of RW27 at 800'agl, landed, and rolled to the end of the 6179'. People were lined up watching as we section taxied to our parking spots on the approach end of RW04, right amongst the Warbirds. I remember at that time (1981), Oshkosh was not on the big list of airshows for the military, and we were the only active duty military aircraft there for the two days we were there. We were kings, even though we slept in sleeping bags on the floor that night!

HuggyU2

None
I've flown the T-38 into Oshkosh in '97, '99, and 2002-2010 (save for 2007, when I flew the U-2 in; and 2008 when I flew the U-2 back to Beale... joined up on a Cessna on that one, and made the cover of Flying Magazine, March 2009).
We always get an "IFR slot time". Despite that,... it can get "sporty".

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I've flown the T-38 into Oshkosh in '97, '99, and 2002-2010 (save for 2007, when I flew the U-2 in; and 2008 when I flew the U-2 back to Beale... joined up on a Cessna on that one, and made the cover of Flying Magazine, March 2009).
We always get an "IFR slot time". Despite that,... it can get "sporty".

Do you guys do the break in a U-2?

ryan1234

Met up with Hacker at Vance AFB a few years ago. He was kind enough to let me fly the T-38 sim for the day. At the time it was pretty eye opening. Just a sim, sure...but it was my first taste to the differences in military type training and civilian. Not that it really matters, but there's more than a few people on this board that can validate my stuff ;)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

There's nothing inconsistent about his story.

When he was a civilian, I invited him to Vance for show and tell, and we spent a couple hours in the T-38 sim then. He was all ready a professional civilian pilot at that time.

Subsequent to that, he went to OTS and became a Nav student, where he is now.