• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

HuggyU2

None
NavAir: when will you be there?

The very first year I was there, I stayed the first night in the dorms, with a room mate.
I realized that wasn't "the Oshkosh Experience" I was expecting. The volunteer that was working with us had offered to let me stay in his tent on the field, since he lived local, and could stay at home. I did that, and it was great. I woke up the second morning there to an SNJ going over my tent early in the morning at full power, with the prop tips going sonic. It was glorious.
Since then, we've rented RV's that folks will tow out there, and tow back when you leave, as well as other options.
The best was a house we rented for about 4 years on the east side of the field, where the backyard was on the eastern show line. I think a couple of AW folks came by one of our parties. When the warbirds did their low passes, we had to cover our Margaritas to keep from getting smoke oil in them. That didn't suck. The house sold last year, so on to new adventures...

As a military guy, pretty much you are on your own for lodging. I think the mantra must be "if you want to be here, you need to figure it out". But that's ok.
This year, since I'm by myself, and couldn't confirm I was coming until late, I grabbed a room in a house about 5 miles from the airport. Not what I wanted, but it will be good.

Most years, we didn't bother renting a car. We never had a problem getting around. We thumbed rides off the airport each day, and met a ton of interesting people in the process. If you are living in the dorms, there's a shuttle and you won't need a car. Just be outgoing and thumb it a lot.

The performers used to go to Acey Deucey a lot, but that seems to have changed the last few years.
Fratello's on the river is great for dinner and crafted brew, especially if the WX is nice.

Plan to hit the Seaplane base for at least a few hours.

There is more there than you can see in a few days, so just pace yourself and have a blast. It's the friendliest half million people you will ever meet.

One more story. Everyone is real nice,... please and thank you's abound. One morning I was at our T-38 on the West Ramp, and told the other pilot that I bet I could leave my sunglasses on the wing all day, then overnight, and they'd be there the next day. There's no way they would get stolen. So, I put my extra pair there. At lunch they were still there. And at mid-day too.
I came back to check on the jet before I left around 1700, and they were gone. Kind of a bummer.
The next morning I got there, and had an idea: I went to the West Ramp HQ and asked them "did anyone turn in some sunglasses?" Sure enough, they were there.

Oshkosh is probably my favorite week of the year.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
"the Oshkosh Experience"
I first went to Oshkosh during my college years as part of my "wages" working for Rudy Frasca who had an FM-2 Wildcat. Later, during my instructor tour at K-ville, we took a couple of TA-4's up to partake in the History of Military Training Aircraft show that year. We took sleeping bags and slept on the floor of the room of one of the Warbird mechanics at the Holiday Inn in Fond du Lac. A few years after that, while in VC-12, I was itching to go back, and so I got "Kraut" to go along. He asked where we would stay. That got me to thinking.....every time I had been there, I remembered seeing a Navy recruiting Winnebago parked close to the Warbird area. So I called the recruiters in Milwaukee and inquired as to whether they would be there that year, and if so, where their accommodations would be. Why, yes they were going to be there, with the Winnebago, and they would have rooms at a motel. Would they mind if we "minded" the Winnebago for them while they were vacant, I asked. Why no, they replied, be our guest. With sleeping bags in tow, we trotted up to the official Naval Air recruiting vehicle upon arrival, took possession of the keys, and made ourselves at home.

The Winnebago was all set up for recruiting...hundreds of info brochures, Fly Navy bumper stickers, post cards with pics of various Navy aircraft, and a film projector (for you younger people, just google it) that projected onto a translucent 4' x 5' panel on the side next to the main door. That evening, after making friends with some Warbird line volunteers and having steak with them grilled on their charcoal grill, we started showing classic films, like the original "Pressure Point", "Ready on Arrival", and "Sea Legs". Before long, we had a regular party going, complete with smuggled-in beer and other adult beverages. People strolling by would stop and many stories were swapped.

The next morning, we went early to eat breakfast at one of the large tents serving bacon, eggs, and pancakes. While sitting at a picnic table eating, we got to talking with a couple of older gentlemen, one of whom flew F4U's with the Marines during WWII. Again, many stories were swapped.

The following year, we made the trek again. One afternoon, while strolling along with the crowd down one of the main exhibit areas, from behind us, we heard a familiar drawl, "You boys fly in your Scooter again this year?" It was the two gentlemen we had met the previous year.

I made it several more times after that, and I would just take a sleeping bag and a small tent if I wasn't sure where I was staying. Once I was invited to camp with a group from Topeka who had a C-47. They took me to their favorite watering hole somewhere by Lake Winnebago and I taught them how to play Crud. Like Huggy explained, friendlier people, you will find nowhere. If you like airplanes, there is no better place on earth. Right after I got married, before the Navy, one of my roommates from college and I took our wives to Oshkosh and we flew up in a C-182. After about an hour and a half of walking the lines looking at planes, our wives proclaimed, "Well, you've seen one airplane, you've seen them all." We parked our wives in a shaded area close to food and what "shopping" was available and picked them up at the end of the day.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Wow, a couple days away and you miss all the posts you needed to respond to.

Huggy: We'll be there Tuesday morning and leaving Thursday morning. Not a whole lot of time, but we took what we could get. I'm up for just about anything so we'll see how it goes.

Wingnut: I would say he has a 50/50 shot of flying with me. Tell him he needs to get working on the flight plan.

KBayDog

We'll see if it works.

tumblr_m71vot6fXV1qzozj1.jpg

ryan1234

Oshkosh is probably my favorite week of the year.

Indeed! I snapped a few pictures from last year... what's Oshkosh if you can't do a couple photo flights? I led a six ship into OSH with a Citation 650 (break at the purple dot!)... Where else can you fly a business jet in formation with a bunch of L-39s and MiG-17s... and then jump in an L-39 and fly form off of a Beech 18, Wildcat, Mustang and MX-2?

PhotoFlight.jpg

My buddy snapped this one, prior to us descending to "Warbird Island" (Snort in the MiG):

Everyone2.jpg

Right Above Oshkosh... trying to fly with the camera ship:

KeepingUp.jpg

Oshkosh was some great times! Really bummed I'll miss it this year!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Indeed! I snapped a few pictures from last year... what's Oshkosh if you can't do a couple photo flights? I led a six ship into OSH with a Citation 650 (break at the purple dot!)... Where else can you fly a business jet in formation with a bunch of L-39s and MiG-17s... and then jump in an L-39 and fly form off of a Beech 18, Wildcat, Mustang and MX-2?

PhotoFlight.jpg

My buddy snapped this one, prior to us descending to "Warbird Island" (Snort in the MiG):

Everyone2.jpg

Right Above Oshkosh... trying to fly with the camera ship:

KeepingUp.jpg

Oshkosh was some great times! Really bummed I'll miss it this year!

How'd you get into flying L-39s/airshow circuit type stuff?

ryan1234

How'd you get into flying L-39s/airshow circuit type stuff?

Long Story... basically it lead from flying some semi-unique seaplanes and bar tending at night. A former Navy Hornet guy was a regular customer.. and flew air shows with a CJ-6A Nanchang, he took me under his wing and taught me a lot about flying those type of aircraft, formation, and aerobatics just because he was a great dude, awesome pilot, and enjoyed instructing. After getting checked out in the CJ, went and started taking it to Static displays at various air shows... which led into joining up with a bunch of degenerates who were starting the "Heavy Metal Jet Team" which later became the Black Diamond Jet Team ...who let me fly and get checked out in their airplanes, work for them, and do the air show thing. Everything I've ever done is directly attributed to the generosity of others. Although the air show community has their bad apples, overall they're a great bunch of dudes.... types like Huggy and Hacker.

Most of the dudes I flew with came from a military background and served in combat, etc... so despite how cool the air show environment is to work in (imagine just hopping in a Mustang with your buddy and making "strafing" runs on boats out in the bay one evening just for fun)...
MustangNHMaine.jpg

anyways, I really wanted to get a chance to serve like the dudes I flew with... so I left team for the Air Force, so here I am. Still get a chance to go fly the L-39 and get "BFM lessons" from Snort while waiting for Nav school to start in Pensacola. Can't complain... but those guys have some really cool stuff going on, hopefully rejoin after the AF.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
So let me get this straight...you've flown jets in a demonstration squadron, and the air force, in its infinite wisdom, decides to make you a NAV?!

Cool story otherwise, man. Best of luck in nav school.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So let me get this straight...you've flown jets in a demonstration squadron, and the air force, in its infinite wisdom, decides to make you a NAV?!

Cool story otherwise, man. Best of luck in nav school.

Yeah how the eff did that happen?