• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
tarheel said:
hey guys...thanks for the discussion. I am trying to juggle the difference in lifestyle vs. career. Are there any guys out there that can argue the career aspect of the COD?

What about duty stations...any input? It sounds like we can't lose with these options (Norfolk, North Island, Point Mugu, Japan). Am I correct on these?

Sorry about all the Ensign questions...one more...can anyone speak of the mission of the E-2. I understand it's the first to launch, last to recover, and sticks close to the boat. Any positives on this subject? Thanks guys. BB

What do you want to know as far as the career aspect of COD's go? You don't necessarily have to stay C-2's for your career. If you want to fly E-2's after your first shore tour, that's a possibility if there is a spot open. However, once you go COD's I doubt you will ever want to go Hawkeye's. I only know of one COD pilot to E-2's and it came down to a shooter tour or keep flying in E-2's. He took the obvious choice.

If you want to fly COD's, stay Navy and make O-5, that is absolutely possible. My goal is to retire as an O-5 and as long as I do well during my OIC tour, shouldn't be a problem. Making command will be a bit more difficult (for me at least) and very competitive but possible for any C-2 pilot with a good fitrep record. The first couple of C-2 only guys (meaning never flew anything but C-2's) have now screened for command and may end up making O-6 as their careers progress. E-2 pilots have a bit more available to them as far as career choices go: 7 or 8 squadrons for command vs 2 for COD's, CAG paddles, the CAG position, CO of a ship, special operations command (read: VT's if not selected for VAW command), etc. You have opportunity, it just depends on what you want out of a career. As an E-2 or C-2 pilot, you also have the choice of getting good flight time to hit the airlines when your time comes up. If the airlines were hiring when my time came up last year, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. As it was, my timing as usual was way off.

tarheel

bunk22...thanks for the info. As always, it sounds like I couldn't go wrong either way. The direction that I am leaning changes with the wind. C-2 guys think that I am crazy...maybe I am.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to satisfy my curiosity . . . are E-2 and C-2 pilots interchangeable or are you tracked with one or the other through your whole career?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
nittany03 said:
Just to satisfy my curiosity . . . are E-2 and C-2 pilots interchangeable or are you tracked with one or the other through your whole career?

They are not interchangeable. Cockpit and engine differences make for two different NATOPS quals. You don't have to fly either one for your entire career though, you could switch communities. Normally it's the E-2 pilot's coming over from the dark side. The last couple of CO's have been both E-2 and C-2 pilots while the newest command selectee's are C-2 only.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a Viking Pilot going to the E-2/C-2 community after my next cruise and I've been having the same indecision (Sundown transition). I've got a few observations though. The E-2 mission is actually very good. You are vital to any combat ops that are going on & They do not stay close to the boat. On my last deployment the E-2's were flying 10 hour missions into Afghanistan and over Iraq. You are very much a part of the operational side of NavAir. Even as a pilot you can be involved in the mission by working the radios, etc to assist the NFO's in the back. That can be very rewarding and offers better chances for command etc. The COD community is excellent too. You get day traps and see the world from a very different perspective than the ship guys, Per Diem, etc. Not too bad. I don't know which way I'm leaning right now, but every E-2 pilot I've talked too (Except 1) has told me to go COD if I can. I guess I'll figure it out when I get to the RAG.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hoover Pilot, you should listen to the E-2 bubba's. You'll easily see what the E-2 community is all about once you get to 120 :eek:

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot stop running your man pleaser and get back to work. Last I heard you were selected for OIC of the AG Weather Balloon Det in Kef.

I am bored in Monterey.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ZAB-
I can't believe that they let you on the computers there in Monterrey. What are you going to do when you are in a 3rd world country with no internet access? I'm in Fallon enjoying a wonderful paid vacation on the Navy. Too much fun.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VRC-30/VAW-120 guys

I know there are a couple of ya'll on here, so I thought I'd throw this out. If any of ya'll were doing boat ops on the Lincoln last week, I got several pretty good pictures of it. These would have been the stragglers from the main CQ det the week prior -- the VRC guys I think were just doing COD stuff. I don't have any webspace to throw them on at the moment, so I figured I'd ask if anyone wanted them and had space to put 'em. Lemme know.... some samples are below.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Hey, thats neat. The Hawkeye has that new 8-bladed prop. I didn't think those had made it to the fleet yet. How are those working out?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They sound like they're whining. Much higher pitch (but less volume) than the 4 blades. But seriously, who cares about Hawkeyes... look at that beautiful COD trapping. I'm surprised they were even able to stay out there. Talk about multiple maintenance issues in that one week...sheesh.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So do the E-2 squadrons get priority for installing the NP2000 prop, or was that just a coincidence to see a Hawkeye with the new prop and the COD with the old one?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KMAC,
I agree....SWEET plane. Especially for X-countries! :D

On another note:

Q: What's the difference between an F-14 pilot and a jet engine?

A: The jet engine stops whining after landing.....buh dunk shhhhh

I amuse myself. (That was too hard to pass up!)
ea6bflyr

kmac said:
They sound like they're whining. Much higher pitch (but less volume) than the 4 blades. But seriously, who cares about Hawkeyes... look at that beautiful COD trapping. I'm surprised they were even able to stay out there. Talk about multiple maintenance issues in that one week...sheesh.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Nice pics but those COD's are 120's aircraft CQing. The NP2000 (new prop 2000) testing has just been completed at PAX and 120 got the first E-2C with it. The NP2000 testing for the C-2 starts later this year at PAX. The first fleet C-2 to get them will probably be in 2006-07 from what we've been told.