• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
YES! Those who actually wanted E-2/C-2 do exist.... I think there are at least 1 or 2 others besides myself. In March they lowered the NSS cutoff to 48, not sure if that's still in effect.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
E-2s: Norfolk, Point Mugu (CA) and one squadron in Japan
C-2s: only 2 squadrons, Norfolk and San Diego.
1 FRS- Norfolk.

Hope it helps

jso

Smitty got it just about right. There is also a detachment (from San Diego) of C2's in Japan.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
To be more specific:

VRC-30 is located in San Diego with DET-5 out of Atsugi, Japan.

VRC-40 is located in Norfolk, Virginia.

VAW-112,113,116,117 are located in Pt Mugu, California while VAW-115 is located in Japan.

VAW-120(FRS), 121, 123, 124, 125 ,126 are located in Norfolk, Virginia.

There are two reserve squadrons as well, with VAW-78 in Norfolk and VAW-77 in Atlanta.

tarheel

COD's Or Hawkeyes....

Hello to all...I am one of the lucky ones who selected the E-2/C-2 pipeline :icon_wink . I have just recently checked-in down in Kingsville and was wondering what other guys think about the different platforms. Any opinions about the different platform/duty stations?...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beer! Just think, there you are, in the middle of the ocean sipping on an ice cold... milk. Like just about everyone before you, the prospective E2/C2 guy has to weigh the pro's and con's. I'll let the Hummer guys tell you their pro's...

COD Pro's in no particular order:
1. West coast cods are in san diego
2. You get to see the world from more than just the ship
3. The mission involves you... ie, no FO's in the back with the real mission
4. You travel from pt A to B (no circles)
5. The level of decision making responsibility for a LT or LCDR are greater than an equivalent flying an E-2. It's quite amazing to hear some of our LT's talking about the decisions they've had to make without anyone more senior present. In addition, as an O-4 you'd be an OIC (look at Bunky).
6. Harm flies on the COD and not the Hummer. (yeah that's gay, but you can actually see the COD often on TV)
7. NFL Cheerleaders don't fly on E-2s.

If I figure out more, I'll be glad to post them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One you forgot that our P-3 brethren are intimately familiar with.......Per Diem.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Good points kmac. The one reason I would add for selecting E-2's would be a desire to be an LSO and continue on to a CAG Paddles position. Now that the COD's are not flying night anymore, it would be very, very difficult to earn a squadron and especially an airwing qual. I got my squadron qual after my first day/night cruise but when we went to shore/day only, earning that qual went out the window. Many guys opt for the LSO jobs so they can eventually get that CAG paddles job to NATOPS qual in another platform.

PilotCPB

Got a few E-2 Q's...
I've noticed that there are usually 2-4 Hawkeyes per carrier. How many pilots are there per squadron and how much flight time does an E-2 guy get per year?
Thanks, Chris

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
PilotCPB said:
Got a few E-2 Q's...
I've noticed that there are usually 2-4 Hawkeyes per carrier. How many pilots are there per squadron and how much flight time does an E-2 guy get per year?
Thanks, Chris

There are 4 E-2's per squadron and the flight time will vary. I would say 300-400 hours a year is probably the norm. If flying during a wartime operation like OEF or OIF, the flight time will go up. I flew 325 hours in only three months during Enduring Freedom. Several of the E-2 pilots during the same time period flew over 400 hours.

tarheel

hey guys...thanks for the discussion. I am trying to juggle the difference in lifestyle vs. career. Are there any guys out there that can argue the career aspect of the COD?

What about duty stations...any input? It sounds like we can't lose with these options (Norfolk, North Island, Point Mugu, Japan). Am I correct on these?

Sorry about all the Ensign questions...one more...can anyone speak of the mission of the E-2. I understand it's the first to launch, last to recover, and sticks close to the boat. Any positives on this subject? Thanks guys. BB