• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drawbacks of the Military

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
candidateX said:
You go where they tell you when they tell you right?

In a lot of civilian jobs, if you want to keep that job, you go where they tell you too.

Can't leave until your commitment is finished

Many civilian jobs will have contracts. No different.

and you can't even tell what you will fly or IF you will fly (NAMI)

Not specific to military aviation.

or what squadron you will go to.

What's different about that and trying to find a job? "I'm gonna work for you". That doesn't usually work.

I'm guessing you can't just tell your superiors "Aw, shucks, sir, but I'm not going to move again. Sorry."

Like I said, in some civilian jobs... good luck saying that.

I wake up, go to work, do my job, go home, do what I want. No different really.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I guess the bottom line here, candidate, is that if you can't commit to something where you won't be able to throw coffee in your boss's face and say "I fvcking quit," than the military (aviation or not) probably isn't for you.

markvanes

Fly Navy, your comments really make sense. It's just that every time you sign a contract, you are reminded to read it carefully lest some phrase in it commit you to slavery or something. I know that once I take the oath, it's not up to me anymore for ten years. Gulp. So that inspires fear, maybe irrational, but understandable. So I guess it's not all that different after all. Thanks to all for posting. I disagree with Smurf, however. I won't cut it if I want to be informed? So going in blindly will insure success in the military? Have to say I don't buy it.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not blindly, but you have to accept that things can and will change 180 degrees on a regular basis. Get used to it.

Mav

Seems to be alot of crashes

I was surfing the web and noticed alot of F-14 and F-18 crashes and fatalities, I find that very troubling. What do you guys think the causes could be. I'm thinking maybe the maintenance crews aren't doing a good job or the aircraft itself is not reliable. Thanks for the input.

Mav said:
I was surfing the web and noticed alot of F-14 and F-18 crashes and fatalities, I find that very troubling. What do you guys think the causes could be. I'm thinking maybe the maintenance crews aren't doing a good job or the aircraft itself is not reliable. Thanks for the input.

Careful pointing fingers at maintenance crews. Some of us have been there, done that.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mav said:

OR it could be that the US Military flies an incredible amount of sorties daily and those sorties are not just going from point A to point B. Sometimes they do risky missions. Even in training. Why take the risk when it's just training you ask? Well, how are you going to do it in combat if you haven't ever done it in training? Maybe you need to take a look at accident rates per 100,000 flight hours and compare those figures to some general aviation figures to get a perspective. Here is a clue. The Military actually has a pretty decent record. It's just when things go wrong, it can be spectacular, and an ejection/crash is always loved by the media. We do everything we can to reduce the risk (ORM, briefing, flying what you brief, debriefs, syllabuses, etc). There is always an amount of risk involved in our jobs, it just tends to make the news from time to time.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mav said:
I'm thinking maybe the maintenance crews aren't doing a good job or the aircraft itself is not reliable.

I'm thinking you have no official ties to military aviation and speculation of that nature without any soild knowledge is unfair and irresponsible.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The myriad of possible causes of a mishap makes it impossible to generalize one cause to cover everything. Mechanical failure, crew error, environmental factors, all of these could be a cause, separately or in conjunction.

Bottom line, you can't make a broad, sweeping statement without a solid knowledge of the possibilites. I've been at this for 8 years and I still wouldn't speculate.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Mav said:

One, this is probably its own thread...threadjacker!

Two, the greatest percentage of mishaps are due to aircrew error. This isn't to say they just drove it into the dirt, only to say that if they'd done something differently, it wouldn't have been a mishap. This is why weather is rarely, perhaps never, given as a primary factor, e.g. aircraft crashes in a t-storm--why did you fly into a thunderstorm? Given the fact that a much greater percentage of military flying (compared to civil aviation) is in treacherous flight regimes--e.g. low, fast, at night, over water, etc, the mishap rate is not that great.

Back to topic...the babysitting routine has gotten out of hand. TO some degree in the Corps, to a greater degree in the Navy. There is some box checking/CYA going on, along the lines of,"Well, admiral, it's not the command's fault he drove a motorcycle off a cliff, because he did sign this document saying he would wear a reflective vest..."

I'm more along the lines of treating Marines/Sailors like adults, THEN hammering them if they screw it up. Things like graduated curfews for deployed libbo kill me. I had a Marine who enlisted late in life and was a corporal at 32. It made me think, why can't a 32-year-old father of 2 stay out past midnight for gawdsake (Sgts and SSgt had till 0100, GySgt+ till 0200, Os till 0300 or something like that)? For that matter, an 18YO? If he misses ship's movement, lock him up and throw the key away. Until then, if you treat people like grown-ups, they usually return the favor.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No offense but what do u think is Mav's problem?

[/threadjack]

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Schnugg said:
No offense but what do u think is Mav's problem?

[/threadjack]

I think he's still getting over Goose's death...or that he didn't die, but gave up naval aviation to be an ER doctor.