• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drawbacks of the Military

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Vast amounts of BS all done in order to go flying. 99% of my job is done to earn the 1% of my time thats spent in the air. It could be worse. I could be a supply officer and not have the 1% to look forward to.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a flight school perspective I would add busting your hump in the air just to be told you had an "average" flight. Which mathematically is not, in fact, "average."

Bevo16

pilot
Well, if you are "average" among the peer group that is Naval Aviation, that's pretty good.

The biggest drawback for me is missing family time. I have a 2 year old and I have missed about 8 months of his live. I am about to start workups again, so by the time I get back from my next cruise, I will will have missed about 40% of his life. That sucks.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bevo said:
Well, if you are "average" among the peer group that is Naval Aviation, that's pretty good.

This has been beaten to death in another thread, but he who gets solely "average" flights is on the fast track to attrition. I was merely saying that one of the draw backs to flight school is that there are times when it is intensely frustrating.

kray1395

Maybe it's only me, but I don't like having to shave every day, sometimes twice a day. In other words, I enjoy being in the military, and what I do on a daily basis, so much, that something as stupid as having to shave everyday is what I consider a drawback to what I do.

But it does really suck.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
candidateX said:
How do you deal with the complete loss of control of your life, for example?

Complete loss of control of your life? Hardly.

Chubby

kray1395 said:
Maybe it's only me, but I don't like having to shave every day, sometimes twice a day. In other words, I enjoy being in the military, and what I do on a daily basis, so much, that something as stupid as having to shave everyday is what I consider a drawback to what I do.

But it does really suck.
HA! With you on this one. By far my least favorite thing about getting up the morning.

markvanes

So how much control do you have? I'm guessing not much. You go where they tell you when they tell you right? Can't leave until your commitment is finished, and you can't even tell what you will fly or IF you will fly (NAMI) or what squadron you will go to. I'm guessing you can't just tell your superiors "Aw, shucks, sir, but I'm not going to move again. Sorry."

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
candidateX said:
So how much control do you have? I'm guessing not much. You go where they tell you when they tell you right? Can't leave until your commitment is finished, and you can't even tell what you will fly or IF you will fly (NAMI) or what squadron you will go to. I'm guessing you can't just tell your superiors "Aw, shucks, sir, but I'm not going to move again. Sorry."

Yes, but in the civilian world you're not likely to be telling your boss to take your job and shove it either. Unless, of course, you are highly employable somewhere else or like living off unemployment. I mean, how many civilians get to say, "Nahh, don't feel like going on that business trip to Bumble**** Africa. Find someone else, I'll be here playing XBox."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Yes, but in the civilian world you're not likely to be telling your boss to take your job and shove it either. Unless, of course, you are highly employable somewhere else or like living off unemployment. I mean, how many civilians get to say, "Nahh, don't feel like going on that business trip to Bumble**** Africa. Find someone else, I'll be here playing XBox."
Concur. With the exception of going on deployment, being in the Navy isn't all that different from a normal civilian job. You go to work in the morning, do your job, then go home at night. Same-same.

Brett

Bevo16

pilot
candidateX said:
Can't leave until your commitment is finished, and you can't even tell what you will fly or IF you will fly (NAMI) or what squadron you will go to.

Actually, the Navy is so fat on junior officers now, they are getting rid of guys left and right. A friend of mine through flight school decided he did not want to do it anymore. He went to his CO, handed in his wings, and was out of the Navy in 3 weeks. He was doing well, had a good record, and was popular in his squadron. He just wanted to quit.

Someone correct me if it has changed, but if you don't make it through flight school, you will be looking for another job.

The bottom line is that when you join the Navy, you have to understand that "needs of the Navy" come before needs of self. Sometimes it sucks, but it is always better than working at the post office.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Complete loss of control of your life? Hardly.
well, only if you're a nuke and you've been completely and irreversably irradiated by the neutron flux distributor near the reactor's core center.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bevo said:
Sometimes it sucks, but it is always better than working at the post office.
not if you like the smell of mail and stamp glue more than the smell of JP-5 or the hint of oil as you enter the skin of the ship

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kray1395 said:
But it does really suck.

This is your only BIG drawback?...

I guess it could be a problem for you if you're still pubescent...
SHC_Acne.gif

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Not setting foot on land and driving in circles.

We have had a a few working ports since I've been out here, the first liberty port we are getting into will be exactly 1 month since I've joined the ship.

I don't know how long the Navy goes without liberty ports, but MSC is sure a hell of a lot different than the commercial ship I was on last year, where 9 days was the longest we went without hitting a port, and that was crossing from Japan to Cali.

Isn't there the 2 beer rule at 90 days for the Navy?
Something I had heard from my dad.