• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drawbacks of the Military

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmmmm, reading the posts, it strikes me that all the drawback comments are painting a picture of glass mostly empty and in a vacuum of sorts. As the vintage marine recruiting poster proclaims: "We never promised you a rose garden". There are lots of aspects of military service that would fit in the category of drawbacks starting with getting your head shaved on day one (or thereabouts) and professionals scream at you constantly until you are tempered with appropriate skills to perform under stress. But there is good reason for it, artificial stress in training gets you ready for the real deal and sorts out those who aren't willing or capable of performing in that type environment.........of course you could go into the marketplace...as say a stock broker...and work backbreaking hours with constant stress to perform without that training or purposefulness that goes with serving your country. Bottom-line: the military isn't the only line of work with stress or other drawbacks.

I worry that the posts are failing to mention that commitment to even a brief stint of military service involve duty, honor and service to country. Many are drawn to the "good stuff", but fail to realize that especially in today's Global War on Terror, there will be demands and needs of the service that require service members to be away from their home and families missing holidays like Christmas or special events all the while being in harm's way or extremely hot, tired, challenged, bored or deprived of traditional comforts. I have seen several folks turn in their wings when shooting started saying "I never signed up for this". I always wondered what they thought they were signing up for....in fact; one pilot told me he simply wanted to build time for airlines and figured he'd never have to put his life on the line or be away from home unexpectantly. With a new family and brand new baby, his head simply wasn't in the game and wanted to be home more than he wanted to be in the Ready Room. He was gone before the sun rose with everyone happy on both sides. Those of us who stayed and fought in Desert Storm have a bond and closeness that has endured for over a decade.

The folks who are contemplating this line of business need to go into it with open eyes. Your life will be on the line (nobody mentioned that as a drawback), but after 9/11 any American anywhere is at risk. Your family is part of the commitment as well as they will have to endure hardship and go it alone when you are deployed. Some take it in stride, some crumble under the stress. In our six man room during my JO days, 5 of us were newlyweds. 3 of us are still in those marriages. The other 2 would have divorced anyway and separation wasn't the cause. The families that do endure the hardships and drawbacks are quite something to behold. Most units have strong support networks that are virtually unheard of in the civilian world. It's part of the culture...you're not alone enduring the hardships unless you make it that way.

Last comment: when you look at drawbacks of military service, don't forget to look at the comparative drawbacks of the civilian marketplace. I was in it before the military and afterwards. The military does not "control your life". I hear that every once in awhile and wonder if the movies give a false stereotype. Surely, the military has a certain level of rules and regulations (and its own judicial system), but so do many corporations and some small businesses have even more absurdity and capriciousness in their employment conditions. It's not easy to simply "quit" the military the way you can in civilian employment, but nor can your supervisor or CO "fire" you on the spot (unless you really step across the line). All in all, military service is a pretty fair workplace with comradeship that is seldom found in civilian workplace.

markvanes

Thank you all for responding. I feel called to serve, but I want to know what the downside is. My family operates a very profitable business that would not survive if I chose to serve 10 years in the military (my dad is 75, I'm an only child, and mom isn't certified to run it) so it's really a huge decision for me. I need all the gouge I can get.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
candidateX said:
Thank you all for responding. I feel called to serve, but I want to know what the downside is. My family operates a very profitable business that would not survive if I chose to serve 10 years in the military (my dad is 75, I'm an only child, and mom isn't certified to run it) so it's really a huge decision for me. I need all the gouge I can get.
Well, you probably can't do both.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
candidateX said:
Obviously. Which is why it's a big decision!
Well, you could sell said business and enjoy the profits, or keep it going with hired help and continue to enjoy the profits.

Brett

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Brett327 said:
Concur. With the exception of going on deployment, being in the Navy isn't all that different from a normal civilian job. You go to work in the morning, do your job, then go home at night. Same-same.

Brett

I don't know. A civilian job can't tell me I will get in trouble if I am out past 0100 on a weekend (at home, not on a port call). A civilian company doesn't want a detailed plan for what I am doing in my off time. They are not going to call me to make sure I am where I said I would be with the people I indicated. They are not going to going to send a letter to my parents when I leave on vaction letting them know that too many people get killed and injured while on vaction.

Instrusive leadership might have been a good idea, but its implementation has gone way overboard.

ghost

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost said:
I don't know. A civilian job can't tell me I will get in trouble if I am out past 0100 on a weekend (at home, not on a port call).

Never seen that for an officer, unless in a foreign port on liberty overseas, in 21 years. What base/community are you in?

ghost said:
A civilian company doesn't want a detailed plan for what I am doing in my off time.

Have only seen this for junior enlisted personnel. Never officers.

ghost said:
They are not going to call me to make sure I am where I said I would be with the people I indicated.

Again, what the heck community is that. Never had that done to me, ever.

ghost said:
They are not going to going to send a letter to my parents when I leave on vaction letting them know that too many people get killed and injured while on vaction.

Have never seen this for officers or enlisted...what command does this to their officers?

From your bio I see you are HSL in the "far east" which means if these are your rules, they are not CONUS rules. Very possible if you live somewhere with an elevated threatcon like where I am in Bahrain that some rules may fall upon all from time to time. But as a general rule while in a squadron in the states...no rules like this.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of the above mentioned things are in the Fleet for Officers in good standing unfortunately. We have to do long weekend Operational Risk Assessment worksheets, yes even Officers.

The only curfews I have seen are in libo ports.

I have never been called when on leave or liberty unless it was neccessary.

I honestly can relate to some of the sentiment expressed above, it seems as though we are treated like children in pursuit of minimizing off duty mishaps. I can sign for a multi million dollar aircraft but I have to fill out a vehicle checklsit for a long weekend trip?

I hope that this is a temporary anomaly and some different leadership prevails and we will see a return of "special trust and confidence" sooner rather than later

Smurf

candidateX said:
We all seem to know the good things about Naval Aviation, but what are the drawbacks? (Not only of aviation, but just being a military officer)? I am seriously considering becoming a USMC pilot, and I have fears that it might suck more than I thought it would. How do you deal with the complete loss of control of your life, for example? And do you really get 30 days off per year? What if your superiors are a**holes? Any other observations of negative aspects are welcome. (I already know the good stuff). Thanks.
I've seen it all, up to to Blues.

If you're thinking of the drawbacks, bail now. You won't cut it.It's Hard work!

Send me a personal message if you want. I'll be glad to send you some tips.

@Brett327: As long as you have that avatar, I'll hound you.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I disagree with the bail now. This is a big commitment and yes the rewards are there and it is a great life but there are sacrifices, I wont call them drawback (but might in a few years) but there are sacrifices in any profession that takes effort.
Learn what you can, take it ALL with a grain of salt and make a decision, it is a great life all in all.
good luck

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ghost said:
I don't know. A civilian job can't tell me I will get in trouble if I am out past 0100 on a weekend (at home, not on a port call). A civilian company doesn't want a detailed plan for what I am doing in my off time. They are not going to call me to make sure I am where I said I would be with the people I indicated. They are not going to going to send a letter to my parents when I leave on vaction letting them know that too many people get killed and injured while on vaction.

Instrusive leadership might have been a good idea, but its implementation has gone way overboard.

ghost
Schnugg, I concur with ghost's comments, and I have a good idea of what he is talking about. I have friends as 3rd tour (now on their second sea tour) as officers have this applied to them, along with their junior enlisted. If I ever get out to Bahrain, I will tell you some more items to really blow your mind happening here on the waterfront....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
Schnugg, I concur with ghost's comments, and I have a good idea of what he is talking about. I have friends as 3rd tour (now on their second sea tour) as officers have this applied to them, along with their junior enlisted. If I ever get out to Bahrain, I will tell you some more items to really blow your mind happening here on the waterfront....
Must be a shoe/VP/HSX thing. One more reason to like TACAIR. ;) I concur w/ Shnugg - never seen that kind of instrusive thing, even in my VP/HSL days.

Brett

Wufnu

I asked this same question on another forum and got reamed (I'm sure I deserved it). These Airwarrios fellas are nice!

For me, I looked at the bad things and didn't see them as "bad" at all. I was mostly looking for ammo to fire back at the "Don't you know how much your life will suck in the military" speeches I get from time to time.

Anyways, I can't help you decide between the military and the family business. Hell, I'm not even IN the military right now. However, I was in a military family for 22 years, and I can attest that it's not all THAT bad. You get used to it, especially if you were raised in it. You move every few years. It's nothing special, it's just something that happens. Dad is never home; again, nothing unusual. That's just what Dad does.

Kids and moving are easy. I hear marriage isn't. Can't help you there, though. Luckily, my mom stuck it through.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Must be a shoe/VP/HSX thing. One more reason to like TACAIR. ;) I concur w/ Shnugg - never seen that kind of instrusive thing, even in my VP/HSL days.

Brett

Brett, when did you leave the fleet? You may be right, it could be geared more towards "others," but the implementation of intrusive leadership as it's used now is pretty new. Probably around the end of '04, and has snow-balled ever since.