• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Double Barreled PUMP Shotgun

Yankee Uniform Tango
Some kid made it by combining a left and right handed 870's.

Unnecessary? Yes. Impractical? Yes. Do I want one? Hell yes...although a professionally made one. :)

P1060352.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You know, since the triggers are independent he can theoretically pull them at the exact same time. That doesn't double recoil, it increases it by a factor of four. That means out of those barrels if he shot a magnum load, he could possibly have recoil loads upwards of 150-180 ft-lbs, if not more. Not exactly ideal for a pistol grip.

Bevo16

pilot
That doesn't double recoil, it increases it by a factor of four. That means out of those barrels if he shot a magnum load, he could possibly have recoil loads upwards of 150-180 ft-lbs, if not more. Not exactly ideal for a pistol grip.

Obviously an Aggy Engineering grad student.

Yankee Uniform Tango
I had high hopes of badassness when I opened this thread. Alas, I am disapointed. Not impressed :|

Granted, it looks like shit. That said, I always wanted to see one of these made; maybe this could be the first step towards someone actually making a legit one. :D

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
You know, since the triggers are independent he can theoretically pull them at the exact same time. That doesn't double recoil, it increases it by a factor of four. That means out of those barrels if he shot a magnum load, he could possibly have recoil loads upwards of 150-180 ft-lbs, if not more. Not exactly ideal for a pistol grip.

How does it increase it by a factor of 4?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I was wondering that too.

Also, since it's twice as heavy, wouldn't that help a bit with how it feels (even though the force is more, the acceleration should be the same maybe? Been a while since physics).

Also I think he left the stock on one of the guns, if you look closely.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

**Nerd alert warning**

If the triggers were pulled at exactly the same time, you double everything coming out of barrels...gas, unburnt powder, shot, and the velocity also doubles (not for each barrel, for the total sum).

Two commonly accepted equations for shotgun recoil are

Vg =(Ws + Ww + 1.5Wp) Vm / 7000 Wg
Eg =( Wg * Vg^2 ) / 2g

Where
g = gun
s = shot in grains
w= wad in grains
p= powder in grains
E= energy in foot pounds
m= muzzle
V= velocity in f.p.s.
W= weight

So, if you run those equations for a 3 inch, 12 gauge shell with a 1 3/4 shot charge, you'll get an approximate recoil of about 55 ft-lbs. If you double the velocity though, you'll see in the equation that results in a factor of 4, so the total recoil is actually about 220 ft-lbs.

Also, since it's twice as heavy, wouldn't that help a bit with how it feels (even though the force is more, the acceleration should be the same maybe?)
Yes, it will help with how it feels on your shoulder, but that only changes perceived recoil, the total is still roughly the same.

So, I definitely would not be a fan of holding that thing by the pistol grip and doubling the shotgun. That would suck.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
That doesn't double recoil, it increases it by a factor of four.

Free Recoil = 0.5 • (mbullet • vbullet + mpowder • vpowder) ² / (mgun)

I don't see it either. It's perfectly valid to just add the free recoil of both guns together, since there are no synergistic effects that are immediately apparent. Since both guns are the same w/ the same round, calculate for one gun and multiply by two.

EDIT: Ah, did you distribute a x2 inside the parentheses, which are squared, and pull it out as a x4? You have to remember to divide out by twice the weight of the gun, too, which makes the 4 a 2.