• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOR and IA

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SO TRUE!! I have relaxed my drinking policy since leaving 7th Fleet. Out there, it would not be unusual for me to get stopped for breathalyzer (sp?) tests at the gate (or random on base) at least 4-5 times a WEEK!!! especially if I was working late. Plus, the BAC limit was ridiculously low (being in a foreign country, zero tolerance and all)... Now back stateside, while the "threat" of random stops isn't as high, I still abstain. Over my career, watching enlisted and officer's get burnt by DUI/DWI or "drinking related incidents", even if it is one drink, I hand over the keys, or take a cab... toasting my career down the drain isn't worth it.

Wow, what Nazis. Was it the Js or the Navy that was pulling people over like that? Concur on the whole DUI thing. It's a hassle, but it's reality. Know your limit and don't push it - your career isn't worth forgoing a $20 cab ride.

Brett

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Wow, what Nazis. Was it the Js or the Navy that was pulling people over like that? Concur on the whole DUI thing. It's a hassle, but it's reality. Know your limit and don't push it - your career isn't worth forgoing a $20 cab ride.

Brett

Yeah, this sort of thing could also happen ON FOOT when entering Yokosuka Naval Base. The Japanese guards are real pissy about drunk Americans returning to base.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, this sort of thing could also happen ON FOOT when entering Yokosuka Naval Base. The Japanese guards are real pissy about drunk Americans returning to base.

How can you be DUI on foot ;)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Haha, i think it was more of a public intox type deal!! Still sucked, but the Honch can be fun.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

Hah, the DOD police at white sands missile range pulled me over while I was walking home from the bar. (4 blocks to walk). Yes, I was drunk, I also had the keys to my car which I left in the parking lot, and had turned down a ride from a friend who packed the car full with 5 other people, all of which were way worse off than I was. 45 minutes later, and the entire police force on duty 4 cars all with lights on, they decided to take me home and not report it. They were however required to take me home because they had "taken me into custidy" In the end nothing was made of it, but even when you do make the right decisions, all it takes is one cop having a ****ty day to ruin yours. Thankfully someone was thinking with a cool head, and saw that I wasn't a threat to anyone.

Sidenote: I hear that Yoko has been locked down pretty hard lately. Man I sure do miss the beef bowls on the blue street. Best 450 yen a person can spend.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
4 cars for you walking home drunk? What a waste of time and money. And cops wonder why people can't stand them.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I knew a guy who got a DUI for sleeping in his car. He got in, decided he'd had too much to drinnk, threw the keys in the glove box, reclined the seat all the way back and went to sleep.

The cops said that even if the car is off, if you are sitting behind the wheel it is a DUI.

The Judge said that even though the cops were legally right, he was not going to punish a guy who did the right thing. He dismissed the case.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew a guy who got a DUI for sleeping in his car. He got in, decided he'd had too much to drinnk, threw the keys in the glove box, reclined the seat all the way back and went to sleep.

The cops said that even if the car is off, if you are sitting behind the wheel it is a DUI.

The Judge said that even though the cops were legally right, he was not going to punish a guy who did the right thing. He dismissed the case.

If you're gonna do that, at least get in the back seat.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

The Webster's definition of driving says nothing about sitting in one spot with the car off. I hate police officers who don't think. This is the problem with zero tolerance laws, the brain is removed from the equation. Thank god that judge had common sense.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wow, what Nazis. Was it the Js or the Navy that was pulling people over like that?
Brett, nope, the Navy Master at Arms/MPs/whatever, were the ones doing it. While I was there, the Navy base matched the DUI to the lower out in town limit. I never had a breathalyzer from the local Japanese police, though I have heard of it from coworkers. Mostly, it was sobriety checkpoints at the gates. My record was three stops one night going home. It was friggin ridiculous!! I was even in my khakis, coming off watch at 1am, and got hit with a random one on base, then one going out the gate, then one going ONTO Ikego housing.... all of it, a reaction to basing in Japan, stupid conduct on the part of the sailors/marines/airmen stationed there with way too many drinking related incidents, all while major rebasing issues/nuke carrier, etc are going on.

Yes, the Honch has some good eating establishments, red ramen and pepper lunch come to mind.... but, you know what? I'd rather have a good old Teddy's burger and be back in the US of A, thank you very much!!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

I got pulled over by the Island County Sheriff department for speeding on July 4th. He sadi he could smell beer on my breath and gave me a field sobriety test. After I passed with flying colors he lectured me on how I needed to set and example as an officer and not drink and drive. This was all 5 hours after I had two beers. I hated Whidbey Island with all of its cops.....:icon_rage

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got pulled over by the Island County Sheriff department for speeding on July 4th. He sadi he could smell beer on my breath and gave me a field sobriety test. After I passed with flying colors he lectured me on how I needed to set and example as an officer and not drink and drive. This was all 5 hours after I had two beers. I hated Whidbey Island with all of its cops.....:icon_rage
I wouldn't say I hate it here, but I have heard more police sirens here more often than anywhere else I've lived. And it's not like Oak Harbor is the hood, either. Bizarre.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't say I hate it here, but I have heard more police sirens here more often than anywhere else I've lived. And it's not like Oak Harbor is the hood, either. Bizarre.

Well, on of the pilots who went through the RAG when I did lived in an apartment in the 'hood' section of Whidbey and ended up with a bullet hole in one of his walls. The police shot his downstairs neighbor who was threatening them with a knife (originally a domestic disturbance call). That is a rarity though......;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Never had any encounter with cops in Whidbey. Did you ever consider that they may just not like the looks of you? You are kind of a weasel. ;)

Brett