• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOR and IA

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not on a whim from IRR. Only in "time of war or national emergency according to 10 USC" (MILPERSMAN).

Touche. But in case no one has noticed, it's not all square dancing and mayflower poles over in western Asia.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Although their primary focus should be getting you into another community in the Navy (or at least not hindering you from doing that), there's no reason STUCON can't send you IA if they want and the billets are there. When I was waiting to redesignate, I repeatedly requested an IA and was repeatedly denied. Now, two months after I've left, they are requesting people to go for a year. It's all about timing.

Whatever you are doing to piss off STUCON... STOP! Get a stash job, lay low, make your apologies if required. Even if they just don't like you, do as much as possible to stay off their radar and cut down on the drama level. Because like it or not, they control your future. Whether or not they can affect the time length of your obligation is highly doubtful, but they can certainly affect the conditions under which that obligation is carried out.

If all else fails and you can do it without alerting STUCON, pick up the phone and call the detailer. There is actually a detailer that handles aviation redesignations, who will be in control of your redes package and should be able to answer questions. PM me if you need the number.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
One guy from my primary class DOR'd and another attrited, and they both got IAs. It's possible.

On the other hand, one guy I know got a DUI two weeks prior to wings and spent something like 8 months sitting around for a redesig. package before getting picked up for supply.

Sometimes you just never know what's going to happen.

I will concur with advice about laying low and not pissing off anyone else. The Navy HATES drama. A lot.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
One guy from my primary class DOR'd and another attrited, and they both got IAs. It's possible.

On the other hand, one guy I know got a DUI two weeks prior to wings and spent something like 8 months sitting around for a redesig. package before getting picked up for supply.

Sometimes you just never know what's going to happen.

I will concur with advice about laying low and not pissing off anyone else. The Navy HATES drama. A lot.

:eek:. Oh, my god! First of all, that sucks. Second of all, what kind of dumbass would do such a thing? I don't want to sound too much like a smartass, but what a great opportunity to throw away! It reminds me of these college football guys getting multimillion dollar contracts to go out riding motorcycles without helmets, wrecking and losing it all...just careless and irresponsible!:icon_rage

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
:eek:Oh, my god! First of all, that sucks.Second of all, what kind of dumbass would do such a thing? I don't want to sound too much like a smartass, but what a great opportunity to throw away! It reminds me of these college football guys getting multimillion dollar contracts to go out riding motorcycles without helmets, wrecking and losing it all...just careless and irresponsible!:icon_rage

Yes, that individuals situation is unfortunate but you of all people are in no position to pass judgement on them, especially given your history of "substance" usage... This person wasn't as lucky as you re: not getting caught for their mistakes. You live in a glass house so stop throwing stones.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Yes, that individuals situation is unfortunate but you of all people are in no position to pass judgement on them, especially given your history of "substance" usage... This person wasn't as lucky as you re: not getting caught for their mistakes. You live in a glass house so stop throwing stones.

I understand that I shouldn't pass judgement, and I don't know the person or the situation so I wont go there, beyond what I said. I just think there is a HUGE difference between trying MJ as a stupid teenager (in a private setting, near no one) and getting behind the wheel of a car after drinking. apples to oranges.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand that I shouldn't pass judgement, and I don't know the person or the situation so I wont go there, beyond what I said. I just think there is a HUGE difference between trying MJ as a stupid teenager (in a private setting, near no one) and getting behind the wheel of a car after drinking. apples to oranges.

It seems that you are trying to rationalize your own illegal behavior while condemning anothers. I would stop it right here if I were you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Really? Explain your logic.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Really? Explain your logic.

Brett

one is stupid but harms no one. The other is very dangerous and can kill. I don't know, do you think a young kid and pre-winging naval aviator should/can be held up to the same standard? I can't answer that, because I don't know much about the latter, but my guess is no.

My illegal behavior, however stupid, has been made known to the navy and forgiven, so I don't feel that I am being out of line by discussing it.

snizo

Supply Officer

I thought a DUI was an automagic AdSep for officers?

If this guy had earned his DUI while in supply school, they would have given him the axe without question.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
one is stupid but harms no one. The other is very dangerous and can kill. I don't know, do you think a young kid and pre-winging naval aviator should/can be held up to the same standard? I can't answer that, because I don't know much about the latter, but my guess is no.

My illegal behavior, however stupid, has been made known to the navy and forgiven, so I don't feel that I am being out of line by discussing it.

All of that is irrelevent. Yes, it was bad headwork on the stud's part, but something that has to be kept in perspective is how easy it is to get a DUI. I had a bud in the RAG who got one after 2 beers and on his way home. I'm at the point now where if I'm driving, I'll rarely even have one beer. It's just not worth the risk, to me.

FWIW, it is recoverable to a point, as I know of several who have continued on. Getting command is probably out, if that's your thing, but it's not an auto-discharge. However, these were all winged guys, so that is a difference.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm at the point now where if I'm driving, I'll rarely even have one beer. It's just not worth the risk, to me.
SO TRUE!! I have relaxed my drinking policy since leaving 7th Fleet. Out there, it would not be unusual for me to get stopped for breathalyzer (sp?) tests at the gate (or random on base) at least 4-5 times a WEEK!!! especially if I was working late. Plus, the BAC limit was ridiculously low (being in a foreign country, zero tolerance and all)... Now back stateside, while the "threat" of random stops isn't as high, I still abstain. Over my career, watching enlisted and officer's get burnt by DUI/DWI or "drinking related incidents", even if it is one drink, I hand over the keys, or take a cab... toasting my career down the drain isn't worth it.