• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DOR and IA

CaliStyle

Hello all. After long and careful thought over the past few months, I have decided to DOR from Primary. There are many reasons for this decision but they primarily involve immediate family complications. Nevertheless, does anybody know if recent attrites or DORs are being sent on IA billets? The TW-5 Wing admin officer said you simply redesignate but my squadron STUCON says I'm in the running for an IA billet now. Don't know if he knows what he's talking about. Does anybody know the recent policy? Also, when does my obligation start? Again, the Wing admin O said it started from the day I commissioned but my STUCON is putting in a recommendation for my obligated service to start the day I DOR since I was stashed for a year and ran into some intial NOMI problems. Is there any truth to this or is he just blowing smoke? Thanks

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
What we need to know here is:

1. What's your commissioning source? Obligations vary from each to the other.

2. How badly are you doing in primary? If you can hack it, we need you in the air more than the Army needs you at a keyboard.

3. Are you willing to join the infantry? It may well be better to be equipped and armed in the "front lines" rather than ride around in a truck all day looking for bombs.

4. I imagine the answer to 3 is "no," given the family complications, but bottom line make sure you have all the information before a decision is made. If STUCON is trying to drive home the "you joined the Navy all those years ago, here's your chance..." thing, he may keep you out of the loop.

5. Finally, if you have prior service, it might help you - your obligation started the day you were commissioned, no matter what, unless you have wings...you must have really pissed them off for STUCON to claim otherwise.

snizo

Supply Officer
Pretty much anyone in the Navy that isn't currently in training is in the running for an IA. I can't tell you how likely you are to get picked up for an IA as a 1305, but if you get redesignated to something that requires more training (like supply), you should be safe until you complete that training and hit the fleet.

Obligation time should start on the day you received your commission, and your STUCON doesn't have any say over that. Length of obligated service depends on your commissioning source and the community you go in to.

Sounds like your STUCON doesn't like you.

Sabre170

None
I've heard from other student at VT-10 that their DORs and Attrites were getting IA slots and some were being sent SWO.

Good Luck

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Assuming your an ENS and that you have no warfare quals, the odds of you going on an IA are pretty small. I tried to volunteer for an IA billet between grad school and reporting to flight school and the detailer told me, and I quote, "you don't have a warfare qual so you can't go".

Now, that was about four months ago but I doubt it's changed that much since then.

CaliStyle

My commissioning source is USNA. I've been doing ok in the program and decided to DOR around BI's for family complications. For some reason, STUCON thinks I should've madethe decision a long time ago when I started thinking about it instead of wait this long. Personally, I thought DORing around BI's was a good time before things started getting more heavy or before I soloed. I've never been under the radar with the squadron. STUCON is just irked that I was stashed for so long so they want to recommend my commitment starts over. If that's the case and it boils down to it, I'm not signing anything involving a recommitment. Does anybody actually know any DOR getting a bona fide IA billet?

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
My recommendation: unless it's going to cause the immediate death of a family member, solo.

Even if your wife is going to leave you.

If your kids are having major health problems, they'll feel better later on knowing you got a piece of your dream shot, and they won't feel guilty about causing you to "drop out."

This is going to cause a lot of flak from the "don't waste a billet" folks, but hell, if you are really that badly obligated to quit, I'll pay extra taxes for you to fly that flight. It's fun.

snizo

Supply Officer
Assuming your an ENS and that you have no warfare quals, the odds of you going on an IA are pretty small. I tried to volunteer for an IA billet between grad school and reporting to flight school and the detailer told me, and I quote, "you don't have a warfare qual so you can't go".

Now, that was about four months ago but I doubt it's changed that much since then.

Anyone in the military, even a 1305, is qualified for some IA's (ie civil affairs). But yes, generally they want someone with (a) a pin, (b) a security clearance, (c) LT+ or some combination thereof.

CaliStyle - bottom line is that IA's are possible, but unlikely. Keep in mind that you're very likely to get IA'd at some point in your Navy career regardless of this decision.

Of the 15 or so people I know of that DOR'd somewhere in flight school, the only ones sent overseas were the ones from the USNA who showed up at API and DOR'd immediately before they even started. They were the exceptions, and understandably so.

MasterBates

Mefesto said:
If you're having wife problems, DORing isn't going to solve anything. She'll just leave you later on. Anything else family related, I can possibly sympathize with. Sounds like there's more to the story here than you're telling us.

Mefesto is right on with this. If it is wife issues, and you don't want them in public, feel free to PM me. I went to flight school married to a fruitcake who almost cost me my wings.

I rode it out, and 4 years later, divorce.

PM me if you need to ask/talk/vent in a non public forum.

Jay

I don't want to be the one to say this, cause it might catch some flack, but I've been in the military long enough now that I can officially ask this question, "Does the Naval Academy have classes on relationships and the opposite sex?" I ask this in all honesty because I know MANY USNA grads that have/are making some f'ed up relationship decisions....like token f'ed up enlisted Marine mistakes.....and am curious if the lack of the opposite sex in Annapolis is the problem?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't want to be the one to say this, cause it might catch some flack, but I've been in the military long enough now that I can officially ask this question, "Does the Naval Academy have classes on relationships and the opposite sex?" I ask this in all honesty because I know MANY USNA grads that have/are making some f'ed up relationship decisions....like token f'ed up enlisted Marine mistakes.....and am curious if the lack of the opposite sex in Annapolis is the problem?

I would suggest that that problem is not limited to the Academy. It's a problem with young people everywhere.

Brett

ben4prez

pilot

my best friend from college was a nuke attrite and he is a "battle captain" with the Army, currently in Afghanistan for a year. He is an ensign, and without a qual. He even got picked up for supply just prior to getting his IA. Don't discount the possibility.

CaliStyle

my best friend from college was a nuke attrite and he is a "battle captain" with the Army, currently in Afghanistan for a year. He is an ensign, and without a qual. He even got picked up for supply just prior to getting his IA. Don't discount the possibility.

When did he get picked up for IA? What's a battle captain?

ben4prez

pilot
When did he get picked up for IA? What's a battle captain?

he got picked up in July of '06. He didnt know what a "battle captain" was either until he got there...neither the army nor the navy would tell him. He spent 3 months in Hattiesburg, MS learning basic infantry skills with no particular focus towards any job. I'm pretty sure he helps train afghani police officers and acts as a liason between the military and local gov'ts. He said its actually quite intriguing, and he's had some pretty long conversations about political philosophy with local shieks and heads of townships. he seems to be right in the thick of things. not bad for an ex-nuke turned nationbuilder. welcome to the new navy.