• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

KBayDog

Just like falling back on a tacan approach when the GPS goes out (for the a/c that actually have one).

Yeah, those days are over for you for a long, long time...hope you enjoyed them!

That being said, I'm still in the 'training command' (for the moment) so I'll keep my bright ideas filtered and limited for the time being.

Horse shit. Your opinion is as good as anybody's.

Lawman

None
We test fit one of the guys new Ipad Mini's..... It fits on my kneeboard better than the notepad that came with it.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Got to mess with a tablet today that had software written especially for Tacair application. It's an Android product, and it has a surprising level of functionality, but it's built almost completely for carrying GRGs (that is gridded reference graphics). Anybody know how many GRG sheets there are for Afg? Just a little over 1100. Good luck fitting that in your G-suit pocket. It's still getting worked on, but it's pretty close to being ready for prime time.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got to mess with a tablet today that had software written especially for Tacair application. It's an Android product, and it has a surprising level of functionality, but it's built almost completely for carrying GRGs (that is gridded reference graphics). Anybody know how many GRG sheets there are for Afg? Just a little over 1100. Good luck fitting that in your G-suit pocket. It's still getting worked on, but it's pretty close to being ready for prime time.

All we carried GRG-wise in Afghanistan were iPad 1s. Toward the end of the deployment we got iPad3's that worked much better. The only people who use GRGs with any regularity and any hope of standardization anyways is the MEF AO, and that's the only AO we worked in. CFACC air doesn't carry GRGs at all for the most part - largely because there are so many (and they don't have a solid digital setup).

Our iPads had every MEF GRG in them, georectified and searchable. We had a couple programs that you could choose between, each with their own pros/cons, and different pilots used each one during certain situations. The difficulty with trying to mark positions was the most annoying aspect, but we got by ok.

So, they're out there in "prime time" already and have been used with good effect.

With the advent of the iPad mini, we've reached a more portable kneeboard sized tablet. We should bite bullet, invest in ForeFlight, and get on with it. We carried all the charts in PDF form for the TRANSLANT there and back. Paper pubs were backups only.

/knows a thing or two about Afghan GRGs
//the MEF has it SO much better than everyone else

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
All we carried GRG-wise in Afghanistan were iPad 1s. Toward the end of the deployment we got iPad3's that worked much better. The only people who use GRGs with any regularity and any hope of standardization anyways is the MEF AO, and that's the only AO we worked in. CFACC air doesn't carry GRGs at all for the most part - largely because there are so many (and they don't have a solid digital setup).

Our iPads had every MEF GRG in them, georectified and searchable. We had a couple programs that could do, each with their own pros/cons, and different pilots used each one during certain situations. The difficulty with trying to mark positions was the most annoying aspect, but we got by ok.

So, they're out there in "prime time" already and have been used with good effect.

With the advent of the iPad mini, we've reached a more portable kneeboard sized tablet. We should bite bullet, invest in ForeFlight, and get on with it. We carried all the charts in PDF form for the TRANSLANT there and back. Paper pubs were backups only.

So you're telling me that you knowingly flew with an iPad before NAVAIR had fully tested and signed off on them? What about rapid decompression? What about G forces?? What about THE CHILDREN?!?! OOOOHHHH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Oh, and by the way.......

SAFETY VIOLATOR!!!!!!!!!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

Our iPads had every MEF GRG in them, georectified and searchable. We had a couple programs that you could choose between, each with their own pros/cons, and different pilots used each one during certain situations. The difficulty with trying to mark positions was the most annoying aspect, but we got by ok.

I knew about the iPads you guys carry, and I really like ipads(I'm on one now). The guy from China Lake (you almost certainly know him) said the problem is that it's an Apple product and it needs to be tied to iTunes without an app, and an Apple app was too hard to develop. This app they had developed for the Android was pretty good, and functional. It was a lot more than just some PDFs. It still has some stability issues, and the opinions about it vary wildly among the users, but I think this might be the one that is going to take off on the east coast for now.

danpass

iPad Mini.

Some pics I've taken of my proof of concept setup with the materials on hand. I haven't had it in the Cessna cockpit yet and may never based on how I sit (sometimes even a flat kneeboard/paper setup touches the control yoke). So a RAM mount setup may be the ticket for yoke planes. Also because I'm looking for the appropriate rubber band (gumband for those who speak broke English).

It should be sweet in the Cirrus SR22 (if I get to ride right-seat in one soon again) :D

p1327137956-4.jpg

p1327137916-4.jpg

p1327137922-4.jpg

Just a civvie setup but perhaps it will spark other ideas.

(For those wondering ...... the official term is 'gaffer tape')