• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
And you know y'all read "Shipmate" in an angry tone. As if a boat donkey chief saw an aviator with sunglasses on his head.

Is there any other way to read it?

By the way, I have these sunglasses on my head because I'm carrying other stuff and I'm supposed to always keep one hand for the ship, SHIPMATE...

?

Birdbrain

pilot
From an AJET stud perspective;

I trained on paper in Primary and IJET. I made smartpacks with the little plastic sleeves in BIs and RIs because it was easier than flipping through pubs. After a while I was more comfortable with just rubberbanding the pages I needed in pubs and stopped making smartpacks. After ripping apart charts under the bag throughout IJET I swore I would buy an iPad after my IR check. Once I IR checked I got an iPad Mini 5(?) with Foreflight/Mil Flightbag, but when the chips were down in IMC I reverted to paper because it’s what I trusted. Gradually I forced myself to use the iPad more and more. Now I only use the iPad and have the paper as a legal backup.

You can quickly and easily plan with GPS coordinates or NAVAID frequencies with it, it has all the pubs and charts you need at your fingertips, it can have overlays of arresting gear, you can make smartpacks of approaches for any area or airfield you want, you can file with it using preset profiles for your aircraft, it has current and forecasted weather, you can track yourself using location services, it automatically pulls up the airfield map once you touch down, the list of goodies is endless and it fits under my G-Suit strap and takes up less room than my kneeboard. It is an incredible piece of gear that I couldn’t recommend more even if it is almost a thousand dollars when all’s said and done.

Just treat it with respect. I’ve already cracked my screen because I’m a bonehead.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
From an AJET stud perspective;

I trained on paper in Primary and IJET. I made smartpacks with the little plastic sleeves in BIs and RIs because it was easier than flipping through pubs. After a while I was more comfortable with just rubberbanding the pages I needed in pubs and stopped making smartpacks. After ripping apart charts under the bag throughout IJET I swore I would buy an iPad after my IR check. Once I IR checked I got an iPad Mini 5(?) with Foreflight/Mil Flightbag, but when the chips were down in IMC I reverted to paper because it’s what I trusted. Gradually I forced myself to use the iPad more and more. Now I only use the iPad and have the paper as a legal backup.

You can quickly and easily plan with GPS coordinates or NAVAID frequencies with it, it has all the pubs and charts you need at your fingertips, it can have overlays of arresting gear, you can make smartpacks of approaches for any area or airfield you want, you can file with it using preset profiles for your aircraft, it has current and forecasted weather, you can track yourself using location services, it automatically pulls up the airfield map once you touch down, the list of goodies is endless and it fits under my G-Suit strap and takes up less room than my kneeboard. It is an incredible piece of gear that I couldn’t recommend more even if it is almost a thousand dollars when all’s said and done.

Just treat it with respect. I’ve already cracked my screen because I’m a bonehead.
I am puzzled why the Navy does not provide you with the ipad with the Foreflight MFB edition.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Once I IR checked I got an iPad Mini 5(?) with Foreflight/Mil Flightbag, but when the chips were down in IMC I reverted to paper because it’s what I trusted.

I recently had to fly an approach with a paper plate. It was disorienting. It took a minute to find the departure and then the approach, and then it was dark and the text wasn't as big as it used to be (that MUST be it!). It's so much easier to just tap exactly what you want and zoom in as needed. The whole experience was downright uncivilized.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I am puzzled why the Navy does not provide you with the ipad with the Foreflight MFB edition.
They also issue them in Meridian. Along with your free Foreflight account you also get access to every pub, FTI, MCG, and a cool PCL that's tabbed so all you have to do is select the emergency and it goes to the correct page in the PCL. It's in its infancy but it's pretty useful. No more smart packs or IFGs or any of that stuff.

The challenges are there's no wifi at the hangar, which should be coming soon, and it's challenging from a Stan standpoint regarding making sure everyone has the latest iteration of stuff.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The challenges are there's no wifi at the hangar, which should be coming soon, and it's challenging from a Stan standpoint regarding making sure everyone has the latest iteration of stuff.

I asked about this. Syncing your pubs should be done before you brief and verified prior to walking, but the no wifi in the spaces makes it impossible to do if you forgot to do it before you left home. There are plenty of people with tons of experience in using EFB/EKBs and managing their publications as part of their daily job who are not on active duty that the people managing the EKB rollout could have consulted, but they'd rather re-invent the wheel. Pushing the pubs is only half the battle; forcing the syncs is the other half and there's not a good mechanism to ensure that right now.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
They also issue them in Meridian. Along with your free Foreflight account you also get access to every pub, FTI, MCG, and a cool PCL that's tabbed so all you have to do is select the emergency and it goes to the correct page in the PCL. It's in its infancy but it's pretty useful. No more smart packs or IFGs or any of that stuff.

At my airline, we get emails from our EFB administrator when we’re supposed to update big ticket apps/ iOS on the EFB. Otherwise we’re to sync our iPad daily for company document updates and ensure our jepp plates are upto date before the start of a trip. They come with a data plan also so It’s super easy to hit a few buttons and let the iPad do its thing to be sure it’s updated.

I’m sure the the process in the VTs will be more difficult because “Navy” but It might be easiest to publish a weekly list (or just put the version info on the flight schedule) of what EFB pub versions each software is up to date. Studs should be able to sync/update their EFB daily before the brief (at home, using a phone hotspot, or squadron WiFi). A few ready room downs after IPs check the EFBs will ensure studs keep EFBs up to date.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I asked about this. Syncing your pubs should be done before you brief and verified prior to walking, but the no wifi in the spaces makes it impossible to do if you forgot to do it before you left home. There are plenty of people with tons of experience in using EFB/EKBs and managing their publications as part of their daily job who are not on active duty that the people managing the EKB rollout could have consulted, but they'd rather re-invent the wheel. Pushing the pubs is only half the battle; forcing the syncs is the other half and there's not a good mechanism to ensure that right now.

Cellphone WiFi hotspot does the trick pretty easily if WiFi isn’t available. As long as they’re not updating a full app or iOS it won’t take much more of a toll than tinder/grindr/hinge/bumble/sexapp flavor of the week, does on a data plan

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Cellphone WiFi hotspot does the trick pretty easily if WiFi isn’t available. As long as they’re not updating a full app or iOS it won’t take much more of a toll than tinder/grindr/hinge/bumble/sexapp flavor of the week, does on a data plan

AT&T and T-Mobile have about 1 bar on a really good day on base. Works great everywhere else in the panhandle but not so much on the shithole that is NASWF.

Not sure about Verizon. I hotspotted to download notams on a cross country and came back ten minutes later and they were still downloading.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are plenty of people with tons of experience in using EFB/EKBs and managing their publications as part of their daily job who are not on active duty that the people managing the EKB rollout could have consulted, but they'd rather re-invent the wheel.

So much this. The ignorance can be excused, but the lack of effort to engage industry isn't that hard. I mean, sheesh, just engage a Reserve fixed-wing squadron and you have the potential for a nearly 100% input that's actually educated.

At my airline, we get emails from our EFB administrator when we’re supposed to update big ticket apps/ iOS on the EFB. Otherwise we’re to sync our iPad daily for company document updates and ensure our jepp plates are upto date before the start of a trip. They come with a data plan also so It’s super easy to hit a few buttons and let the iPad do its thing to be sure it’s updated.

Updating FF for pubs can get costly on the data, especially for places like FL and TX. But even beyond that, if you're rolling out a product, then provide all the means to support it!

That said, it seems the TRACOM is way ahead of the helo fleet. Hopefully that FF issue-to-studs will slowly transmit to reducing the plan to rely on Samsung tablets and a NAVAIR program that isn't as robust as FF.

Also, and this is me just dreaming... Can you imagine a world without a DD-175? How could we exist!!!!!?!!!! Imagine filing like every other human in the US?