• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

nukon

pilot
Rumor has it the guys over at the MATS building here are testing/implementing some (theoretically) pretty sweet new android "MAG TABs" that integrate with pretty cool technologies (JMPS, BFT, among other things), and are intended to be issued to squadrons with special laptops. If it ends up being relatively easy to use, sounds like it would bring some pretty neat capabilities.

EDIT: I'm late to the party. Here's the excerpt from the 2017 AVPLAN on MAGTABs
The MAGTAB was sourced on the 2015 15th MEU, SPMAGTF, TACDEMO’s, and Talon Reach as a scalable capability for information consolidation and display for the aircrew operator as well as embarked Marines. While awaiting a fully networked and classified Electronic Kneeboards (EKB) under the PMA-281 Program of Record which is intended to be interoperable with the Marine Corps Common Handheld in work under MARCORSYSCOM the MAGTAB and Encrypted WiFi Links will continue limited fielding facilitating scalable integration into systems such as Airborne Gateways. The MAGTAB and Encrypted WiFi Link is covered with an Authority to Operate (ATO) that capitalizes on the KNOX security container capability afforded by the Android operating system. Applications such as RFID, ExChecks, Timeline, and Kinetic Integrated Lightweight Software Individual Tactical Combat Handheld (KILSWITCH) are some of the mission related applications that have continued to be enablers.

Last edited:

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Ended up getting an iPad mini 4 using some credit card points. Still have a few weeks left in the free foreflight I got last year, so I’ll probably use the bump in flight pay to justify extending that subscription myself.

Found out my neighbor made his own iPad Kneeboard by sewing the rubber shell of the Otterbox case to a canvas kneeboard he made, and mad a pouch for the Bad Elf GPS receiver to sit in the kneeboard. He also put a Velcro elastic strap that goes right to left, so it’s perfect for left leg use with nothing by the stick or bang handle.

sparky

For those of you that carry a power bank or just a cable for whatever (like data) for a tablet or iPad, any recommendations? Any decent retractables you trust in the cockpit?

Asking because over the weekend - in the car and not the airplane, fortunately - one of my 6-for-$6 economy retractable cables from Amazon disassembled itself into instant FOD. Made me rethink the plan to use vendor giveaways or the budget Amazon cables, and seek something less likely to become FOD, or trip me up like that Anker 10ft Kevlar-armored cable I use at home (it's about $10 but is so far cat bite proof ... daughter has a cat that chews USB cables - but so far he's not taken the 120V/20A bait of an old extension cord ... ).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
hqdefault.jpg

sparky

Shack @Jim123 ... endgame looks something like this:
CV_Cat_Charred.jpg

Unofficially, of course. Officially, a horribly tragically unfortunate accident.

I'll not add "and probably delicious with a dash of soy and covered with orange sauce in a nice stir fry."

(If my daughter is reading this - I keed, I keed)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyone happen to have the latest IFC for EKBs handy? The TW-5 links are dead...or at least the one I found.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yeah, because that's an easy process.
I don't understand the question framed with generic terms like "EKB" or "EFB" - in DoD its ForeFlight, on an iPad - there are no other options. For most Air Carriers its Jepp FD Pro as an exception.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
in DoD its ForeFlight, on an iPad - there are no other options.

Incorrect, for better or worse. It's also a little more complicated than just "an iPad and Foreflight." I'd argue overly-complicated, but that doesn't change the reality.

For most Air Carriers its Jepp FD Pro as an exception.

Which, if I had the EFB/EKB IFC, may spell out that Jepp FD Pro was an additional option. I'll eventually get the IFC through official channels, but was trying to speed up the process and see if someone had it here and could pass it along.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
" - in DoD its ForeFlight, on an iPad - there are no other options.

There’s the much maligned Aero App, which is actually a DoD produced app that is similar to Foreflight. It’s also has Giant reports, which I don’t believe Foreflight has.

Yet another DoD app is ATAK, and iTAK to a lesser degree. ATAK is designed for Android based products as it can use a lot of extra plugins to the main app. It also began its life primarily as a ground focused app for SOF (JTAC, airdrops, etc) but with plugins it far outperforms Foreflight in quite a few areas of mission planning and execution.

The other part, Foreflight costs money so either you or your unit has to pay. Aero and ATAK are free.