• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do you use an iPad in the cockpit? Would you?

What are your feelings on institution of an iPad type device as a replacement for a chart/pub bag?

• Total voters

STOVLer

pilot
Concur with Treetop not to buy your own... they are not allowed in the cockpit of all aircraft yet, and when they are, they will be exclusively company-issued.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I got mine for Christmas, just in time to get one before they are discontinued. I didn't say I was an early adopter or anything.

I was mostly just poking fun at how the internet works. The Mini 4 isn't being discontinued yet. Everyone expects it to be discontinued eventually, since it's so old and no one is buying that form factor now. That of course turns into "the iPad Mini 4 is being discontinued1111!"

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They're bound to replace it with another small tablet and the third party app makers will port their products to it. You'll still be able to buy an i-whatever tablet in 2025 and fly around with it running forepro. Just sayin'.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I was mostly just poking fun at how the internet works. The Mini 4 isn't being discontinued yet. Everyone expects it to be discontinued eventually, since it's so old and no one is buying that form factor now. That of course turns into "the iPad Mini 4 is being discontinued1111!"

Oh. I read it as the iPad mini was being discontinued completely. As in, no more iPads in that size. Obviously Foreflight works on whatever size tablet you have, so it's really NBD, I just like the size of the iPad mini for cockpit use.

Jeebus. That was hard to communicate.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I imagine there are some good reasons STOVLer isn’t allowed to bring his own device in his F-35. I can’t even bring my iPad into a SCIF either. Damn those silly rules.
Roger - I didn't realize the context of the F-35 - that I get! When I was up close at VFA-101 I learned that you actually have to log into the jet!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They're bound to replace it with another small tablet and the third party app makers will port their products to it. You'll still be able to buy an i-whatever tablet in 2025 and fly around with it running forepro. Just sayin'.

Oh. I read it as the iPad mini was being discontinued completely. As in, no more iPads in that size.

Currently, the general tenor is that the "Mini" will go away (rumor, not any statement made by Apple) because people are buying phablets ("Plus" phones and/or iPhone X) and have stopped buying Minis. The thinking is that when the Mini 4 reaches end of life, there won't be a replacement. Personally, I think that's a shame, as the Mini is the perfect size for flying, but that's obviously a specific subset.

That said, a Mini 4 won't really reach end of life until ~2020 (I can't remember if end of life for hardware is 5 years or 7), so maybe there will finally be a new Mini version by then. Jim, I hope you're right and there's one sooner.

Then again, people are still waiting for a new Mac Mini and there hasn't been an update since Oct 2014.

sparky

I'm strictly GA now, but that 9g case w/strap is nice.

Though I'm wondering whether I'm the only one that has concerns over battery charge and life; does anyone here carry/use a portable battery pack to mitigate low battery around the time you really need those pubs?

Especially you Maritime front-office types; running planning and pubs out and back, with a 4.0 of Netflix in the middle, and my 2 yo Mini would probably be dead somewhere along the way (yay for the phone as backup) ... do you carry a power bank for such a contingency?

If you P-8 folks said you've got USB ports provided for that, I'd believe you based on how much goodness Boeing packed in the airplane (if not, I'll put the suggestion in to Boeing about that) :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm strictly GA now, but that 9g case w/strap is nice.

Though I'm wondering whether I'm the only one that has concerns over battery charge and life; does anyone here carry/use a portable battery pack to mitigate low battery around the time you really need those pubs?

Especially you Maritime front-office types; running planning and pubs out and back, with a 4.0 of Netflix in the middle, and my 2 yo Mini would probably be dead somewhere along the way (yay for the phone as backup) ... do you carry a power bank for such a contingency?

If you P-8 folks said you've got USB ports provided for that, I'd believe you based on how much goodness Boeing packed in the airplane (if not, I'll put the suggestion in to Boeing about that) :)
After getting STC'd USB ports installed in a Cessna 172 ($1200) - a battery is a good way to go - any of the Anker products - 5600mah or better.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@sparky Totally an extra battery. 100% screen brightness and blasting GPS drains quick. Make sure it has two USB ports to charge an ADS-B receiver too. I have an Anker one, works great, long time.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
After getting STC'd USB ports installed in a Cessna 172 ($1200) - a battery is a good way to go - any of the Anker products - 5600mah or better.

A buddy of mine has an experimental RV-6. He put in a car USB charger to run his iPad. Cost: $8. It seems to work just fine. :)

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I imagine there are some good reasons STOVLer isn’t allowed to bring his own device in his F-35. I can’t even bring my iPad into a SCIF either. Damn those silly rules.

So what did they put into the shiny toy that screwed everyone? USB? WiFi? Bluetooth? Aux cord?