• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do(ing) it again; Water Survival Training (API is just the beginning)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes- very.

:)

Oh, yeah, it is.

Even if the class got out by noon, I'd usually take an extra hour or two at lunch or the PX before driving home. I was tearing up so much it must've looked like I'd just been to a funeral!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
My last requal was at Miramar in 05 and it was easy. I only did 3 helo dunker rides, one of which was upright. The last was supposed to be all out the main door. In the end, we went out any window and all was good. I'm thinking my requal at P-cola in July won't be so easy. It will be my first ride in the new helo dunker.

phrogpilot73

If I had the time, I'd get em out earlier. But NATOPS specifically mentions the flare.
Our NATOPS doesn't say when to jettison them, just to jettison them. I don't think I'd want to be fucking with doors in the flare. I'd want both pilots focusing on flying. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Nope. No mention of jettison in there ;)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
No, going flying in the front. The opportunity has presented itself but just trying to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Been awhile since I did that, but then the gouge was take a separate class. Call your nearest ASTC. If you can't find the number, let me know.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Be careful - at least once an H-3 window was jettisoned by mistake, hit the landing gear sponson, bounced up, and damaged a couple of rotor blades. When HS-1 was flying mids (don't know if they were ROTC or USNA) one summer, one of them pulled up on the release handle, then put it back down without saying anything. The next guy in bumped the window, and it flew out.

I watched a flight doc, (in the back of a -60 at Fallon) when told it was ok to open the door, grab the yellow/black handle. He never got the chance to move it.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
My last requal was at Miramar in 05 and it was easy. I only did 3 helo dunker rides, one of which was upright. The last was supposed to be all out the main door. In the end, we went out any window and all was good. I'm thinking my requal at P-cola in July won't be so easy. It will be my first ride in the new helo dunker.

For API, I was in the new helo dunker. I didn't think it was any harder than the old one. However, there was one seatbelt in that thing that got stuck on just about every ride and the divers had to get that person out. (I was the lucky one once)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was me as well. You know it's going to be a fun day when the divers can't open the seat belt normally and they have to fumble for the emergency release, all the while you're still strapped in upside down under water.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Our NATOPS doesn't say when to jettison them, just to jettison them. I don't think I'd want to be fucking with doors in the flare. I'd want both pilots focusing on flying. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Nope. No mention of jettison in there ;)

If you're already crashing I figure the priorities become: Aviate, Get Out Alive, and then everything else.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
For API, I was in the new helo dunker. I didn't think it was any harder than the old one. However, there was one seatbelt in that thing that got stuck on just about every ride and the divers had to get that person out. (I was the lucky one once)
If this happens, critique it. That's most likely a hardware issue that needs to be fixed and isn't conducive to good training anyway.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If this happens, critique it. That's most likely a hardware issue that needs to be fixed and isn't conducive to good training anyway.

Seatbelts that would stick in the bird were always one of those things that made me go, "hmmmmm."

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Seatbelts that would stick in the bird were always one of those things that made me go, "hmmmmm."

I gripe them every time. "Checked on deck. Resistance within Limits. Pilot needs to spend more time at gym."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Stupid question: Is the water in the dunker tank/pool chlorinated?

Not necessarily. IIRC, most pools are switching over to the salinated water system (read: salt water), which I believe I experienced on my last requal.

m26

Contributor
Not necessarily. IIRC, most pools are switching over to the salinated water system (read: salt water), which I believe I experienced on my last requal.

Oh, joy. I can open my eyes and see a little in chlorinated water, but salt water really hurts my eyes. I hope that's normal.