• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do(ing) it again; Water Survival Training (API is just the beginning)

H60Gunner

Contributor
Oh, joy. I can open my eyes and see a little in chlorinated water, but salt water really hurts my eyes. I hope that's normal.

Here's a little advice. If you are even just a little freaky in the water, close your eyes during the blindfolded egress out of the dunker until you surface. It works. I was a swimmer, drown-proofed, completely comfy in and underwater, no panic. Open your eyes underwater blindfolded expecting to see light and yeehaaaw, here comes the freak monster!

And it ain't fun unless you get kicked in the face during egress.....:icon_tong

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Not necessarily. IIRC, most pools are switching over to the salinated water system (read: salt water), which I believe I experienced on my last requal.

Oh, joy. I can open my eyes and see a little in chlorinated water, but salt water really hurts my eyes. I hope that's normal.

In the civilian world salinated pools are not salt water like open ocean; they just use a different mechanism (rock salt) to chlorinate, which leaves a slight hint of salt in the water (supposed to be easier on the eyes overall). Often referred to as "salt water pools". I assume Otto is referring to this, but if they simulate the ocean for Shamu, they can probably do it for a dunker too.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
VAW guys get additional fun that brings them up to E-2 requirements for egress. Think of DJET in P'cola as one upgrade, then the E-2 specific stuff here as one step beyond that.

DJET was my worst experience in the pool yet. And that includes the 1st class swim qual required at TBS.

Having to swim across the pool in all the jet gear, then tread water long enough to find, unscrew, and blow up the damn life preserver about killed me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
In the civilian world salinated pools are not salt water like open ocean; they just use a different mechanism (rock salt) to chlorinate, which leaves a slight hint of salt in the water (supposed to be easier on the eyes overall). Often referred to as "salt water pools". I assume Otto is referring to this, but if they simulate the ocean for Shamu, they can probably do it for a dunker too.

That IS is in fact what I was referring to. It isn't to simulate anything (like ocean water). It's just an easy system to maintain and is very easy on your eyes... much easier than chlorine. It also isn't horrible to get in your mouth. Just a hint of a salt taste.

DJET was my worst experience in the pool yet. And that includes the 1st class swim qual required at TBS.

Having to swim across the pool in all the jet gear, then tread water long enough to find, unscrew, and blow up the damn life preserver about killed me.

Really? Helo guys also had to swim to the deep end in gear, wrestle the tube loose and inflate our LPU as well.... wasn't HORRIBLE. I'd rather do that again than the dunker.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Really? Helo guys also had to swim to the deep end in gear, wrestle the tube loose and inflate our LPU as well.... wasn't HORRIBLE. I'd rather do that again than the dunker.

It probably sucks a little more in a harness and g-suit. I still didn't think it was that bad though and would also rather do that than the dunker again.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

It probably sucks a little more in a harness and g-suit. I still didn't think it was that bad though and would also rather do that than the dunker again.

It was the G-suit and harness. Interestingly enough I didn't have any issues with the dunker - Just kept my hand on the wall and followed it the correct direction to the proper exit.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
A few people mentioned jammed seat belts before. Do you guys carry a hook knife in case this happens? As a skydiver, some carry these attached to our rigs. It's pretty much a last ditch thing in case you have to start cutting lines.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
A few people mentioned jammed seat belts before. Do you guys carry a hook knife in case this happens? As a skydiver, some carry these attached to our rigs. It's pretty much a last ditch thing in case you have to start cutting lines.

We carry a shroud cutter and a folding knife in our vests. I also keep a utility knife in my flight suit. That being said, if I'm stuck in a dark sinking airplane I don't think I'm going to have the time to find one of my knives and cut myself out. I can probably get to the shroud cutter quickly, but will it cut harness webbing? Might be a good experiment.

What do they say in API? "You'll have the rest of your life to figure it out."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
DJET was a party compared to the dunker.

The knives in our vests are not well suited to cutting straps. Lots of guys carry their own knives for that purpose.

The fact that the buckles in the dunker are in water 6 times a day probably does make them more prone to failure than the ones in the actual aircraft, though.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The fact that the buckles in the dunker are in water 6 times a day probably does make them more prone to failure than the ones in the actual aircraft, though.

On my two trips to the pool I made sure the straps were cinched uncomfortably tight to keep some tension on the buckle. It released smoothly/quickly everytime.

H60Gunner

Contributor
The knives in our vests are not well suited to cutting straps. Lots of guys carry their own knives for that purpose.

After an HS-10 mishap in the early 90's we all started carrying a folding serrated Spiderco for egress assistance.

On a lighter note, I do know a fellow rescue swimmer, who cut the risers off an S-3 guy with said S-3 guys survival knife after the SEAWARS failed.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
On a lighter note, I do know a fellow rescue swimmer, who cut the risers off an S-3 guy with said S-3 guys survival knife after the SEAWARS failed.

Perhaps I'm dumb, and I'm not questioning a good rescue, but there isn't a koch fitting or two somewhere that'll come apart pretty easy in the situation?