• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do(ing) it again; Water Survival Training (API is just the beginning)

phrogpilot73

This last time, I thought I was going to freaking die.
Wow. You need to do it up here in Norfolk, it was almost a non-event. I was nervous about re-doing the dunker when I joined the reserves (my last dunker experience in Jacksonville, FL didn't go so great) but they make it actually semi-enjoyable and educational here... I'm still glad I only have to do it once every 4 years.

Ace_Austin

pilot
The HABD bottle training was pretty low key. Big help if you've ever used SCUBA when it comes to clearing it. Couple of runs in the chair, then you do three passes in the dunker. First one you already have the bottle in your mouth, last two you've gota clear it once your upside down and before you egress. Only think the final run in the dunker was blindfolded.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Bottle training brings up a question. As a fixed wing tacair guy what kind of extra training (if any) do I need to go for a dog and pony flight with one of the helo squadrons in air wing?

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Bottle training brings up a question. As a fixed wing tacair guy what kind of extra training (if any) do I need to go for a dog and pony flight with one of the helo squadrons in air wing?

Just go for a ride in the back???? None. They take passengers all over the place that have no training. The crewman just gives a "brief" prior to you getting on. You have no oxygen as a passenger - you just get a cranial and flotation. But if you do that...I recommend becoming friends with one of the HACs and then asking them to give you a helmet so you can hook up to ICS and then ask to sit in a gunner's seat. It's a lot cooler that way.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
No, going flying in the front. The opportunity has presented itself but just trying to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Actually, wait until your 4 years is up and you go through the R3/RP3. It's exactly what he's talking about - the last ride in the dunker, the lights are out and there's simulated lighnting and they're playing storm sounds. There's also sprinklers all around the pool and you have to egress, get over to the raft flip it over, get in, paddle, then one by one egress out to the hoist. It's actually pretty good training. The new dunker is also much better (and more realistic) than the old one.

Good catch, I didn't even see it at first. burningfeathers looks mighty wet...

Wow. You need to do it up here in Norfolk, it was almost a non-event. I was nervous about re-doing the dunker when I joined the reserves (my last dunker experience in Jacksonville, FL didn't go so great) but they make it actually semi-enjoyable and educational here... I'm still glad I only have to do it once every 4 years.

I already did R3/RP3 requal, and I don't recall anything about the lights being off and storm sounds and sprinklers. I just remember the standard 3 runs for no air and 3 for HABD, plus all the other basic swimming skills.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I already did R3/RP3 requal, and I don't recall anything about the lights being off and storm sounds and sprinklers. I just remember the standard 3 runs for no air and 3 for HABD, plus all the other basic swimming skills.

Depends on where you do it. I did my last requal in Norfolk and there was lightening, etc.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have to requal for the final time in July...going to Kingsville so I'm doing it P-cola. Last time I did it was in Miramar and it was the old helo dunker and very easy.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Depends on where you do it. I did my last requal in Norfolk and there was lightening, etc.

I have to requal for the final time in July...going to Kingsville so I'm doing it P-cola. Last time I did it was in Miramar and it was the old helo dunker and very easy.

Did my requal at Miramar... I guess the Marines don't have enough money for simulated lightening sounds and darkness. :D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just go for a ride in the back???? None. They take passengers all over the place that have no training. The crewman just gives a "brief" prior to you getting on. You have no oxygen as a passenger - you just get a cranial and flotation. But if you do that...I recommend becoming friends with one of the HACs and then asking them to give you a helmet so you can hook up to ICS and then ask to sit in a gunner's seat. It's a lot cooler that way.

Our LPPs for passengers come with a HABD bottle now. Most passengers get just an aircrewman brief, but the helo/tiltrotor company in a MEU gets a lot more egress traning since they'll be frequent passengers.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Did my requal at Miramar... I guess the Marines don't have enough money for simulated lightening sounds and darkness. :D

MCAS Cherry Point had the Full Monty.

I think when the dunkers are due for refurbishment, they throw in the whole artificial storm package with it. When NKT replaced the old dunker with the new 3-axis-of-motion dunker on a crane, that's when they threw in all the other stuff. It was closed for almost a year.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The SWET chairs (at least at Pcola) are different now. That cage thing surrounding them is gone and there are 2 free standing ones now. In one the door is behind you like if you were riding in the back of a helo, and one is like a cockpit door. Apparently (according to the water survival guys) they are a lot easier than the old ones, but they are more like the ones you see in the actual dunker.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
It gets less fun every time. In API I thought the swim quals were like a free trip to Disney. The second time, I thought it was somewhat inconvenient. The third, I thought it was a crappy day at the office. This last time, I thought I was going to freaking die.

Ditto. I get to go for the fifth time when my next set of orders come, finally returning me to DIFOPS. Not looking forward to that little piece of it...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto. I get to go for the fifth time when my next set of orders come, finally returning me to DIFOPS. Not looking forward to that little piece of it...

Just think of all the Puka People who would trade their DIFDEN orders for yours in a heartbeat.