• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do(ing) it again; Water Survival Training (API is just the beginning)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Perhaps I'm dumb, and I'm not questioning a good rescue, but there isn't a koch fitting or two somewhere that'll come apart pretty easy in the situation?

Try finding a Koch fitting in the water under gear in any kind of sea state. And that doesn't even preclude if shrouds have already wrapped up around the survivor. It's just easier to cut everything. It's not like it's going to be used again.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Perhaps I'm dumb, and I'm not questioning a good rescue, but there isn't a koch fitting or two somewhere that'll come apart pretty easy in the situation?

The koch fittings were damaged when SEAWARS failed and couldn't be manually released, no other options left but to cut...

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
It's just easier to cut everything. It's not like it's going to be used again.

This was a big no-no when I went through RSS. Use of the appropriate disentanglement procedures was drilled and drilled. When asked why we don't just cut 'em out, the answer was "because when you cut one line, now you have two". Which, the thinking was, leads to more possible ways to get tangled up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess that makes sense. But if you're already tangled... I get what you're saying though.