• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disappointed in NEX

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Throughout this thread I keep reading that the NEX is self-sustaining and doesn't rely on subsidies......if the NEX is self-sustaining then they are obviously stocking what they need to in order to make a profit.......Not stocking white t-shirts may be a cost benefit analysis.......I.e., for Villanelle, in your case, I'm gonna guess the reason they don't stock women's belts isn't because someone is incompetent or so shortsided or pedophilliac that they forgot belts, it's because they were probably losing money on having belts in stock.

I really think you give the NEX too much credit, they have a bit of a captive audience (junior Es) and are insulated to a degree from the market forces that real stores face. As for their non-captive audience a lot of them are retired or their dependents who in my area are the majority of patrons from what I have seen. Also while the Exchanges are 'self-sustaining' DoD still has to pay some money for utilities and infrastructure (with some Congressional appropriations apparently thrown in sometimes too).

......The wonders and amazement of free market society....

Actually the Exchanges are kind of contrary to that whole free market thing and probably wouldn't survive without the privileges and protection they now enjoy. They and the commissaries should go the way of the dodo bird.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Fact is, if the NEX is self-sustaining then they are obviously stocking what they need to in order to make a profit. Regardless of what anyone thinks they "should" stock, if it's a black and red ink issue, they will stock what is needed to make money, or at least stay afloat. Not stocking white t-shirts may be a cost benefit analysis in that why waste money on stocking it when Wal Mart sells the same thing so much cheaper.

The wonders and amazement of free market society....

As previously stated, the NEX is anti-free market. These complaints stated here, can be heard at almost any base, and especially overseas where the NEX is the only option. Everyone knows what a stink the NEX puts up whenever a new business, restaurant, etc wants to open up. Imagine the uproar that would occur if next to every NEX a similar sized building were put up and the Navy allowed Walmart, Target, JCPenny, etc a chance to bid and set up shop there. If a real free market structure were allowed to set up on base, every single exchange would be out of business within the year.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If the NEX sold only concrete blocks to retarded kids, as long as it's operating in the black who cares what it sells? Just because some of the folks on this thread don't like what they sell means it's a bad idea. Anyone put in their complaints on a comment card or actually talk to a store manager about the items in the NEX?

The "free market society" line was plugging the fact that you can shop at the NEX if you choose, and many do, or you can take your money out in town, which many also do.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the NEX sold only concrete blocks to retarded kids, as long as it's operating in the black who cares what it sells? Just because some of the folks on this thread don't like what they sell means it's a bad idea.......

They like to brag that they are 'self-sustaining' but then go on to claim only 2% of their budget is from the DoD with some Congressional 'add-ons'. What I couldn't was just how much the DoD actually pays for Exchanges in the form of facilities, utilities and other misc support. While they are likely cheaper than the Commissaries, which cost the DoD about $1 billion a year in infrastructure and salary support even though it is also often bragged that they cost the military 'nothing', I am willing to hazard a guess that they still cost the DoD some money. I would be interested to see if the amount of money that the DoD puts into the Exchanges is more or less than the amount the Exchanges send to MWR.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
While they are likely cheaper than the Commissaries, which cost the DoD about $1 billion a year in infrastructure and salary support even though it is also often bragged that they cost the military 'nothing',
The federal government looks at money the way shopaholics do...

"Honey, I saved $40 on this dress!"
"How much was it?"
"$200"
"So you spent $200"
"No, I saved $40!"

Even better when they spin it that tax and program cuts 'cost the taxpayers.'

Renegade One

None
I really think you give the NEX too much credit, they have a bit of a captive audience (junior Es) ...and the commissaries should go the way of the dodo bird.
From my personal interaction out in "the 'ville" (San Diego)…you can add octogenarians to that captive audience. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They certainly did their thing in their time and have earned their benefits.

I actually had a lovely lady in that latter group approach me at the local Von's (where I usually shop) because she'd seen my military ID when I pulled my credit card or something, and say "Did you know they've closed the Commissary? I don't know what we're going to do…"

I think she may have actually paid less (sales tax excepted) at Vons..but that was not a discussion for that day. I told her I thought the closures were only temporary.

Throw me in that ugly batch of folks that thinks NEX/MCEX/AAFES commissaries in major CONUS metropolitan areas have outlived their usefulness. The actual Exchange stores…that's a different story. There is obviously a need for uniforms, some occasional good deals in electronics and other stuff and, apparently, there is still a HUGE need for gender-specific t-shirts, socks and underwear. Who knew? ;)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Throw me in that ugly batch of folks that thinks NEX/MCEX/AAFES commissaries in major CONUS metropolitan areas have outlived their usefulness. The actual Exchange stores…that's a different story.

DECA owns the commissaries, the NEX/MCEX/AAFES are different organizations from DECA.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
If the NEX sold only concrete blocks to retarded kids, as long as it's operating in the black who cares what it sells? Just because some of the folks on this thread don't like what they sell means it's a bad idea. Anyone put in their complaints on a comment card or actually talk to a store manager about the items in the NEX?

The "free market society" line was plugging the fact that you can shop at the NEX if you choose, and many do, or you can take your money out in town, which many also do.

In theory, they are supposed to be offering a service to people. If that service sucks and isn't meeting the need it was established to fill--or is barely meeting that need when it could be doing so much better while also making more money-- why is it silly to discuss it on a message board?

And yes, I actually have ICE'd the NEX with several suggestions, as have several people I know. Despite checking the "want a response" box, I never heard back.

robav8r

None
Contributor
What bothers me the most about the NEX is the absolutely asinine increase in uniform prices over the years. You want to talk about "service" and taking care of the young, enlisted Sailors stuck in the barracks, how about selling uniform items for a "reasonable" price and stop trying to gouge the one demographic that HAS to shop there for those items.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
I worked retail for what used to be the largest sporting goods retailer in the world before I joined the Navy. Later in life I was a base XO and CO. It is through those lenses that I offer the following:

- The Navy may have finally stabilized its NEX leadership. They made a decision to convert the flag billet to civilian. The outgoing flag competed and is its leader. Retail operations need strong long term leadership. Only time will tell but I do hope that it works out well.
- NEX employee attitudes have been hit or miss over the decades. I will say they appear to be making a concerted effort to improve that.
- In successful commercial retail, everyone (the buyers, operations, store front, shipping and receiving, etc) all operate with a need to turn the inventory quickly...a sense of urgency. So they try to buy smart (e.g. don't put winter clothing in a tropical location like the NEX can do), understand their competitors, ruthlessly manage shrinkage, etc. It's my opinion that the NEX does not operate that way, yet.
- The NEX likes to state that their excess profits are given to MWR. If you pull that thread, what you find is that only the larger exchanges (usually located at fleet concentration centers) are able to do it. The rest can't give MWR anything because they don't have the sales volume. As a general rule, MWR HQ does not share that money amongst the other bases who got little to zero
- What do you think are their top two profit generators? Alcohol and tobacco. I am near certain that someone has analyzed what NEXs would close if those two products stopped being sold and I bet the answer is not pretty. So we have Navy leadership rightly encouraging the cessation of tobacco use and to drink smart (e.g. 0 0 1 3); however the NEX and their MWR benefactors have a conflict of interest in the area of profit generation.
- When I first learned about the Military Star Card program I asked my NEX manager if the NEX was also offering credit counseling services or coordinating with FFSC or Navy Relief for the credit counseling. I knew what the answer was before I asked the question but it didn't stop me from calling NEX HQ to let them know that that I didn't think they were acting in the best interests of our junior personnel.
- On the few occasions when I frequented the Norfolk NEX, I grew to despise the sellers in the common area outside the main retail space. I witnessed some aggressive and hard core sales tactics targeting our junior personnel.
- NEXs have their place (fleet concentration areas, remote and isolated locales) and I think some could be shut down because of infrastructure outside the fence and if NEX expanded their mail order did a better job of competing with AMAZON.
- The NEX is on my scope when I am purchasing items, but more often than not, Walmart, Target and Amazon get my business.
- I've felt strongly that the NEX needs to study the concept of putting the NEX retail business out for bid. It would be a GOCO (govt owned, contractor operated) business. I think we would see prices drop, and more MWRs getting coin to improve their programs. It could be on a base year plus 4 option year basis. We own everything (buildings, fixtures, merchandise), but they are running the show, buying stock, hiring and firing, controlling costs and they would be highly incentivezed to generate profit.

Best exchange - MCX Henderson Hall. Largest/smallest I've seen: Norfolk / Key West

Funniest event: My base was remote and isolated so we tried to figure out a way for the govt civilians to access the commissary but we weren't that remote and isolated. So we reviewed the regs and figured out that the NEX could be accessed by the govt civlians with the CO's permission. I asked the NEX if they would consider adding a cold case and expand their food selections . It was a big success and about a month into it I get a note from an active spouse saying "thank you" for expanding the NEX food selection because she could buy milk for her large family at almost a dollar a gallon cheaper than at the commissary. A few days later with the NEX and Commissary managers in my office, asking them to figure this out, the Commissary lowered their milk price. Who sez competition isn't a good thing. You can mess with the price of gas, but you mess with the price of milk, you'll get a letter. :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
In theory, they are supposed to be offering a service to people. If that service sucks and isn't meeting the need it was established to fill--or is barely meeting that need when it could be doing so much better while also making more money-- why is it silly to discuss it on a message board?

And yes, I actually have ICE'd the NEX with several suggestions, as have several people I know. Despite checking the "want a response" box, I never heard back.
I think this hits its. You run the NEX like a business in the states: fine. You can go elsewhere for your stuff. Overseas, the NEX is your only day-of source for American/Western products. The fact that it instead pays more attention to it's purse selection is kind of silly. In the states I have options as to where I can buy huggies. Overseas, it's the NEX or nothing.

Renegade One

None
Boobs.
You are welcome.
Pickle
Never seen a difference in tourist t-shirt stores…Asia...Hawaii…CONUS…Europe. Pick your poison. If we're talking about "ladies tailored/fitted undergarments"…well, those aren't t-shirts. That's all I'm saying...

Renegade One

None
MCEXs/NEXs differ widely…even in the same CONUS city. I'll use San diego as a credible example.

At MCEX Miramar, the "Men's Department" looks like a Walmart (not that there's anything wrong with that…that is the competition…). It's tailored to the junior enlisted population...mostly t-shirts, wrinkled sport shirts (the current look…), baggy shorts, athletic shorts and jeans, etc. Good luck finding a nice dress shirt, nice ties, suits or sport coats/blazers, or anything else a "transitioning" person might desire for a job interview, etc.

MCEX at MCRD has LONG been a "horse of an entirely different color"…quality clothing, shoes, accessories, etc. I miss the days when they actually had a gun shop…but that's a discussion for a different day. But the demographic is totally different…all of their junior personnel "ship out" on graduation, and there's a huge senior E/O/retired community who articulate the need/desire for quality.

All the NEXs/MCEXs seem to be at least competitive/slightly better on computers/software/electronics/cameras/ etc. Even "absent" the sales tax thing, I buy my software at the exchange…Microsoft Office, etc.

I have not crossed the entry of a Navy Commissary in decades…so feel unable to comment. And Von's beats NEX Package Store prices every day of the week for adult beverages.

OCONUS…yeah, that's TOTALLY different. And where the Exchanges/Commissaries need to focus, IMHO.