• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disappointed in NEX

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Best exchange - MCX Henderson Hall. Largest/smallest I've seen: Norfolk / Key West
MCX HH does have a decent selection of higher end clothing for men and women and the vineyard next door doesn't disappoint in the booze selection. They don't have any children's stuff or a home and garden department however. The new NEX at Walter Reed also has a great all around selection if you haven't made it up there yet.

jtmedli

pilot
OCONUS…yeah, that's TOTALLY different. And where the Exchanges/Commissaries need to focus, IMHO.

Does it count if I consider Hampton Roads OCONUS? 'Cause most of the local grocery stores here either suck or are stocked with a line of idiots/vagrants a mile long at the ONE register they manage to have open.

Renegade One

None
Does it count if I consider Hampton Roads OCONUS? 'Cause most of the local grocery stores here either suck or are stocked with a line of idiots/vagrants a mile long at the ONE register they manage to have open.
May have merit…but probably a hard case to make...

jtmedli

pilot
May have merit…but probably a hard case to make...

Yeah, that being said, the NOB commissary isn't much better. It can be ridiculously busy in there at times and I'm pretty sure half the people that are in line, shouldn't be there. Or at least don't look like they should be.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are you kidding me? Hampton Roads was great compared to my follow on duty stations. There are plenty of Harris Teeters, at least one trader joes, a fresh market, plus several other chains with numerous locales throughout the area. Tons of options and the commissaries weren't terrible because they were large and had decent stocks. After a tour at Pax and an FDNF tour my wife and I look back on Norfolk as veritable cornucopia of choice.

BigRed389

None
Are you kidding me? Hampton Roads was great compared to my follow on duty stations. There are plenty of Harris Teeters, at least one trader joes, a fresh market, plus several other chains with numerous locales throughout the area. Tons of options and the commissaries weren't terrible because they were large and had decent stocks. After a tour at Pax and an FDNF tour my wife and I look back on Norfolk as veritable cornucopia of choice.

Dear God, yes.

Hampton Roads is no San Diego, but it can easily get worse. Much, much, worse.

How would you like to be stationed at China Lake?

Just get the hell away from NAVSTA Norfolk. Life gets better the close you get to VA Beach or Chesapeake.

exNavyOffRec

I didn't have to worry about price match, when I called them they said it has to be the exact same model number which makes sense, but the cost in gas and my time would have negated any minor savings in the hope it was the same model, so target ended up with my business.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We have a Whole Foods in VA Beach now too......not for everyone, but I spend a decent amount of time there. I'd say the grocery selection in VA Beach is close to being on par with what we had in north county San Diego, though minus all the locally produced fruits and veggies you could buy for nothing at roadside stands thanks to migrant workers.