• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disappointed in NEX

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I have noticed that the NEX seems to lack a procedure for progressively discounting electronics as they age (both technologically and by wasting shelf space). It seems they buy a large lot of just a few models, and barring isolated sales, the MSRP of a TV at the time of its debut is the NEX price until they sell out.

I bought our 46" from Amazon on the cheap by opting for a model which the brick-and-mortar stores had recently cleared out.

As for gas, when I joined in 2001, NTC Great Lakes was at least 25 cents cheaper than out in town. By the time I was in P-cola in 2006, the good deal was gone. Additionally, when I was in SD in 2002-3, I did not have to meet CA emissions or inspections requirements to get stickers. I wonder if the two are linked.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Short of fixed-price items (ala anything Apple), I really haven't found anything at the NEX that can come close to beating deals on Amazon. Sure, I've picked up a pair of pants or what-have-you from there, but that's usually due to laziness and a desire to fulfill the need for instant gratification rather than some fiscal necessity.

If the major argument for the NEX is the "young service members on base" then I think that argument really falls apart when you get down to brass tacks. If you are living on a razor thin budget, then you forego instant gratification and laziness and shop the cheapest way possible. In this day and age, that's 9 times out of 10 online.

/Amazon Prime pays for itself very very quickly, yo.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Size of the NEX also dictates it's utility. Norfolk area NEXs had all the name brands that hercdriver mentioned. The smaller NEXs in more remote areas like Pax and Sasebo have a much smaller selection. Even then, it's a weird cross section of goods. The men's section usually has, even at the small NEXs, polo, north face, etc.

For ladies, it's a different story. They don't seem to carry the same level of name branded goods. While I can buy a polo shirt, trousers, woven leather belt, and white new balances, my wife can't buy polls because they stock women's clothes that seem to target either the retired women or young skanks. Not to mention that the women's section also seems to only stock items in giant sizes, so my even if my petite wife could find something she liked, it would fit her twice over.

For other things like diapers, they selection is small, limited, tends to sell out quickly, and is restocked slowly. Overseas it ends up being easier to order most kids stuff and then wait the 10 days for it to arrive.

So I guess my biggest beef is that the NEX lacks utility. Sure they have an awesome selection of all the top name brand purses, but I don't need that. What I need is a reliable source of diapers and ass wipes. Instead of supplying the things that a family/individual really needs, they seems to focus on items like TVs, fragrances, and purses.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Short of fixed-price items (ala anything Apple), I really haven't found anything at the NEX that can come close to beating deals on Amazon. Sure, I've picked up a pair of pants or what-have-you from there, but that's usually due to laziness and a desire to fulfill the need for instant gratification rather than some fiscal necessity.

If the major argument for the NEX is the "young service members on base" then I think that argument really falls apart when you get down to brass tacks. If you are living on a razor thin budget, then you forego instant gratification and laziness and shop the cheapest way possible. In this day and age, that's 9 times out of 10 online.

/Amazon Prime pays for itself very very quickly, yo.
+1 on the Amazon Prime, but like I mentioned, you can use price match at the NEX with items on Amazon. I bought a Seiko at the NEX in P'Cola for $120, then happened to find it on Amazon for $87. Went back the next day with the receipt and they gave me an adjustment. So I got the Amazon price minus the tax, shipping, and the waiting for it to come in the mail.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Not to be debbie downer, but the military believes there is a drinking and driving problem and suicide problem that is heavily correlated to alcohol abuse, and the only advantage that is agreed upon among all posters in this thread is that base facilities offer more round-the-clock access to booze.
Not be a debbie downer, but that's exactly what you're doing. To me, buying booze or other convenience items without changing out of a flight suit is about the only thing the NEX is useful for. They are already hard at work screwing that up, since alcohol is already about 25% more expensive on base, and they are restricting the hours it is sold. Hooray for protecting us all from ourselves.

exNavyOffRec

Here is a good thing about the NEX, tires and booze!

The tires I need for the car I can save at least $100 for a set of 4, in most cases it was close to $150 and I checked several other places.

on to booze, picked up a 1.75 liter of JW red for $32 today on sale! the .75 liter one was $25 so I really had no choice but to get the bigger one.

I was off on the tires, I looked at my estimates today and the same tires out in town are over $200 more.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not be a debbie downer, but that's exactly what you're doing. To me, buying booze or other convenience items without changing out of a flight suit is about the only thing the NEX is useful for. They are already hard at work screwing that up, since alcohol is already about 25% more expensive on base, and they are restricting the hours it is sold. Hooray for protecting us all from ourselves.
I suppose what I'm getting at is that when the NEX stocks 3 aisles of booze and no baby supplies or boxes of cereal, it contradicts the message that leadership is attempting to communicate through hours of GMT on the topic.

As for shopping in uniform...the CNO now allows servicemembers to go to the mall in NWUs, so maybe allowing flight suits isn't far away.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
As for shopping in uniform...the CNO now allows servicemembers to go to the mall in NWUs, so maybe allowing flight suits isn't far away.

He's a Marine. Navy can already wear flight suits off base, but you can not consume alcohol in your bag because it is not a "liberty uniform". With the way things are going, it may not be long before they heavily restrict what you can currently get away with even in a liberty uniform.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I suppose what I'm getting at is that when the NEX stocks 3 aisles of booze and no baby supplies or boxes of cereal, it contradicts the message that leadership is attempting to communicate through hours of GMT on the topic.

What I'm getting at is that the for-profit stores existing on base are only useful because they are the only stores on base. Also, I think it will be a cold day in hell before Marines are allowed to wear flight suits off base.

Pags

N/A
pilot
+1 on the Amazon Prime, but like I mentioned, you can use price match at the NEX with items on Amazon. I bought a Seiko at the NEX in P'Cola for $120, then happened to find it on Amazon for $87. Went back the next day with the receipt and they gave me an adjustment. So I got the Amazon price minus the tax, shipping, and the waiting for it to come in the mail.
What you have just described is far too much work. Which is half the reason I do most of my shopping on amazon: It can be done on the couch when the kids are asleep while drinking a beer.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What you have just described is far too much work. Which is half the reason I do most of my shopping on amazon: It can be done on the couch when the kids are asleep while drinking a beer.
Yeah I kinda nuked it, the easier way than doing what I did is to use the smartphone app mentioned earlier, just scan the barcode of the thing you want, and show the customer service person the price on your phone.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I did not know that. They might be the only people in the world to price match online stuff like Amazon. That's useful to know. Thanks.

But ya. This. I'm lazy, the local exchange is pretty small, and I never remember stuff when I'm over there.

Not to be debbie downer, but the military believes there is a drinking and driving problem and suicide problem that is heavily correlated to alcohol abuse, and the only advantage that is agreed upon among all posters in this thread is that base facilities offer more round-the-clock access to booze.
But there's a nice little sign in the liquor aisle that says abusing alcohol is bad, so I'm sure it all evens out.