• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platforms/different lifestyles?

AJB37

I figured this forum was a place for prospects like me who are not so informed, but want to be involved.

Not so much, this is a forum for Naval Aviation... people like you and me should consider ourselves lucky that the aviators on this site take time out of their day to answer our often redundant questions that they see here every three weeks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Point taken.

I am very appreciative of everyone's time answering my questions; I have said it many times. I am humbled to be in the presence of you all. I will probably be meeting a few of you in the future, I understand that. (Interesting that phrogpilot is exactly where I want to be.) I am however quite surprised at the level of resistance I get here from a few. I figured this forum was a place for prospects like me who are not so informed, but want to be involved.

Actually, it is designed to get you ready for life in an actual Ready Room where there is a pecking order according to seniority (JOs must honor wishes of CO and XO, but rage against the hingeheads) and experience. No slack is asked and none given. The worst sin is to try to act or speak on a par with those "saltier" than yourself. When you transgress thus, so shalt you reap the whirlwind. Problem for "grasshoppers" is sometimes inexperience keeps these tripwires hidden. Nose has created the Stupid Question thread to allow for a little wiggle room. You should be generally safe there. Remember, everyone's a target, grasshoppers are just bigger targets. It's just part and parcel of the Naval Aviation rites of passage. Just sit back, buckle up and enjoy the ride. HJ out.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
With all the talk about single seat and two seats, has the selection at the RAGs changed? I thought east coast used to select prior to starting the RAG, and west coast selected halfway through depending upon performance, any current gouge out there?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
#2 - I was (un)lucky to stand duty once a month in my single seat squadron (we were land based the time I was there though, maybe the difference between little duty vs a lot of duty)

Go to an embarked squadron, very different situation. LSOs don't stand duty, DHs don't stand duty (obviously), Training O's don't stand duty... not a lot of JOs left to do it... our single seat brethren stand duty MUCH more often than we ever do. Obviously land-based is a lot different story.

#4 - did you guys do bombing derby's? I'd be interested in seeing the stats from different deployments.

Yep. Not sure of the stats on the derbies, but who cares? What matters is how you perform in the exercises, with bandits, EW range, etc. Bombing derbies are academic patterns (at least what I've seen, maybe you guys have done something different?)

#5 - na, Marine single seat Hornets (and soon Harriers, if not already) are doing FAC (A)

True FAC(A), high, medium, and low threat? I've heard some mixed opinions on this topic.

#6 - true, or, when your head is in the game and his isn't, he becomes the SA sponge as you fight over who has control of the FLIR or radar.

And that's where crew coordination and taking charge in the cockpit come into play.

maybe that guy shoulda went two seaters ...

If you're implying that weak pilots go two-seat and strong pilots go single-seat, that's patently false.

Then, if you come back for a second tour, go two seaters if you don't want to work as hard as your first tour.

Work as hard? Maybe in some aspects, but I challenge you that developing solid crew coordination is a very difficult task. It doesn't just happen, and learning who does what, when, where, etc is a challenge. That's where 1 + 1 = 2 or 1 + 1 < 1 comes from.

To each his own though... I'm not sure if it changed, but I was trained up in the RAG as a single-seat guy and didn't go to two-seat until CQ. It was my choice and I'm glad I got it. I know others that are glad they went single-seat. What really matters is, do you enjoy it.

In the end, who gives a sh!t, we're all tailhookers and pointy-nose ;)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
... True FAC(A), high, medium, and low threat? I've heard some mixed opinions on this topic.

... If you're implying that weak pilots go two-seat and strong pilots go single-seat, that's patently false.

... Work as hard? ...
- all three. Here's a piece from the Training & Readiness manual for Marine Hornets that's put out by MAWTS-1 ...

Prior to beginning this stage, FA-18A/C pilots will be either a division leader with prior ground FAC or FAC(A) experience or a Mission Commander. FA-18A/C FAC(A) pilots will log 400-level codes for their FAC(A) syllabus [i.e. FAC(A)-383 becomes FAC(A)-483]. Upon successful completion of this stage of training through FAC(A)-490 and compliance with JFAC(A) MOA certification requirements, the commanding officer may issue a T&R FAC(A) qualification as well as a JFAC(A) MOA FAC(A) certification."

- no, it was a joke

- with regards to ground jobs

happy holiday's

S/F

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
- all three. Here's a piece from the Training & Readiness manual for Marine Hornets that's put out by MAWTS-1 ...

Prior to beginning this stage, FA-18A/C pilots will be either a division leader with prior ground FAC or FAC(A) experience or a Mission Commander. FA-18A/C FAC(A) pilots will log 400-level codes for their FAC(A) syllabus [i.e. FAC(A)-383 becomes FAC(A)-483]. Upon successful completion of this stage of training through FAC(A)-490 and compliance with JFAC(A) MOA certification requirements, the commanding officer may issue a T&R FAC(A) qualification as well as a JFAC(A) MOA FAC(A) certification."

Interesting, thanks for the info.

happy holiday's

You too, good lord I can't wait to go home.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Same for Harriers. We had a long drawn out debates on the merits of single seat FAC(A) on here, but I couldn't find it.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Reading through different threads I have yet to hear any Marine Pilots or ECMOs comment on Prowler lifestyle. I know its a bit different than the Navy because its a land-based asset. If anyone would like to chime in it would be much appreciated.

phrogpilot73

Reading through different threads I have yet to hear any Marine Pilots or ECMOs comment on Prowler lifestyle. I know its a bit different than the Navy because its a land-based asset. If anyone would like to chime in it would be much appreciated.
They would if they could, but they're all deployed :p

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
hehe I don't doubt it! Perhaps some Navy Pilots/ECMOs have some insight into the matter. Do you know any Marine bubbas that went through the RAG with you? Ofcourse being land-based is only part of the equation. What is it like being part of the Prowler community?

ie: How often do you have duty? Flight hours/month? Travel/lifestyle?

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
My hat is off to Deuce130 from airlinepilotcentral.com for being the original author. I've edited and changed some things to make it more Navy/Marine specific. I think it's a great post in helping to explain the differences in platforms. Brother Deuce130 thank you for your words of wisdom; I am but your lowly padawan learner.

Fighter/Rotar Head Squadron (Any):

0600 Scramble to the be the first guy to show up in the morning so you can be the one to have your name on the vault in the morning; after your MCMAP and PT of course. All your other squadron mates can fret how you're getting a leg up on them and try to figure out how to counter your devious moves, ie put you on duty again and again.

C-130 Squadron - Just try to beat your XO or Dept Head to work on Tuesday and Thursday. If they are out flying already then don't sweat it. Show up sometime around 0830 and hope someone got there before you to start the coffee maker, sit around and fret about where you're going to eat lunch.

Fighter/Rotor Squadron - Make work to do from 0630 to 1300. Eat a candy bar at your desk while reading TACMAN or NATOPS. Work, work, work from 1300-1700. Get your brief together for the next day's flight, prep for your boards and beg some Field Grade Company Man for words of wisdom. 1700-1900. Sit around and wait for everyone else to leave so you're not the first guy out the door. You don't want anyone to think you don't work hard or want it bad enough.

KC-130 Squadron - Surf the internet from 0830-0930. Do your actual office job from 0930-1130. Make announcement on PA system or via email where the lunch push is going to, maybe Hooter's, maybe the mall food court, maybe TGIFs. Pizza Hut is always a favorite.
1145-1330 lunch.
1330-1400, walk around with a piece of paper in your hand and a determined look on your face.
1400-1530, go to the gym, and watch Sports Center on ESPN.
1530-1545, check the board to see if you're flying the next day. You are? Cool.
1545, go home and pack your bags and go into crew rest. You can extend your departure time from work 1 hour for every 30min your showtime starts before 0800
Don't forget to grab the extra cover and extra set of car keys you left on your desk when you went to the gym, you'll need them the next day and you don't want anyone seeing them after 1700, as it will get you in trouble from the rest of the JOPA.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So let me get this straight: a C-130 guy writing about what it's like in a fighter or rotary squadron? Suspect, at best. Then another Marine C-130 guy comes along and makes it more "Navy/Marine specific?" That's like me telling everyone what a brain surgeon's day is like.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure what life is like in a land based squadron, but I can assure you that whatever that dude wrote about fighter life is completely and utterly wrong from the Navy aspect.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
KC-130 Squadron - Surf the internet from 0830-0930. Do your actual office job from 0930-1130. Make announcement on PA system or via email where the lunch push is going to, maybe Hooter's, maybe the mall food court, maybe TGIFs. Pizza Hut is always a favorite.
1145-1330 lunch.
1330-1400, walk around with a piece of paper in your hand and a determined look on your face.
1400-1530, go to the gym, and watch Sports Center on ESPN.
1530-1545, check the board to see if you're flying the next day. You are? Cool.
1545, go home and pack your bags and go into crew rest. You can extend your departure time from work 1 hour for every 30min your showtime starts before 0800
Don't forget to grab the extra cover and extra set of car keys you left on your desk when you went to the gym, you'll need them the next day and you don't want anyone seeing them after 1700, as it will get you in trouble from the rest of the JOPA.
Actually, my time in the squadron was more like this ...... except we were all straight.