• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platforms/different lifestyles?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Reading through different threads I have yet to hear any Marine Pilots or ECMOs comment on Prowler lifestyle. I know its a bit different than the Navy because its a land-based asset. If anyone would like to chime in it would be much appreciated.

Not a marine. Don't have wings. DID live in Cherry Point for 13 years.:icon_rage

As far as I know. Cherry Point is the only place the Marines station Prowlers, so I may be somewhat qualified to speak on lifestyle.

Havelock sucks. Its one redeeming quality is that there is a somewhat decent beach about 30 mins away. That's it. It's really in the middle of nowhere. There are some nice places to live, but most of them are quite aways away (I'm thinking the Cherry Branch/Carolina Pines area) and there is NOTHING for a young, single guy to do besides visit the few strip clubs (which aren't all that great.) The nearest town with anything to do is Morehead City/ Atlantic Beach, and even there the pickins are slim.

I guess it's like any military town, but with a much larger number of furniture stores and car dealerships per capita than any town on the planet. Not much else.

Hope that helped.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Sounds like the Prowler guys either develop an interest in fine furnitures, or sit around with nothing particular to do. thanks for the info.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I'm not sure what life is like in a land based squadron, but I can assure you that whatever that dude wrote about fighter life is completely and utterly wrong from the Navy aspect.
yea, it sounds more like a day working at MAWTS-1 or NSAWC vice a Marine fighter/attack sdq. While it's kinda funny what the Herc guy wrote, it's spreading bad gouge. I know my sqd wasn't anything like he joked about ... the only dudes in before 0600 were either helping with FOD walk or had an early brief, and the only dudes around after 1700 were on the night page or in the sqd bar. I will agree that for certain types of flights a lot of planning time was required but that's the nature of the pointy nose business. It doesn't take much planning to go hold and give gas, such as the KC-130 community, but some people think that's fun?

S/F

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
When was the last time you saw a fixed-wing aircraft stop, backup, and take another look at the naked woman laying on the beach?

More importantly, when was the last time you saw a topless woman walking on the beach stop, turn, and take another look at a helo?

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
More importantly, when was the last time you saw a topless woman walking on the beach stop, turn, and take another look at a helo?

HA! Good one.

Depends on the helo. In the H-2, maybe not. But in an H-1 with -60's mounted and manned, sure.

Also, if you are implying that said topless woman would stop and take another look at a jet, that may be. But if you are piloting said jet, are you going to be around to notice?

phrogpilot73

Even more importantly, when was the last time you saw a jet stop, hover and watch the topless woman wave while your crewchief takes her picture?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Or the last time a jet blew up the sides of the shower tent during the female use hours and made the Army Times? :icon_wink

Well, you could probably do that in a Harrier, if you didn't mind incinerating them, too.

Raptor2216

Or the last time a jet blew up the sides of the shower tent during the female use hours and made the Army Times? :icon_wink

Well, you could probably do that in a Harrier, if you didn't mind incinerating them, too.

I guess if you hover right on top of them, a severe case of sunburn could be an issue...but something tells me the average harrier pilot is smarter than that.

Nose

pilot
...average harrier pilot is smarter than that.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Weeeellllllllllll, it looks like I'm a later than a phrog at his charlie time coming into this intelectual debate, but for the record, we don't need to stop and look at naked women. They come looking for us.

I'm not at all surprised that my phrog and COD bretheren have never experienced this phenomenon.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weeeellllllllllll, it looks like I'm a later than a phrog at his charlie time coming into this intelectual debate, but for the record, we don't need to stop and look at naked women. They come looking for us.

I'm not at all surprised that my phrog and COD bretheren have never experienced this phenomenon.
Aaaaaand point, set and MATCH! :D