• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platforms/different lifestyles?

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Why would you un-velcro your rank? Plan on getting busted?

Another option is to have a leather name tag so faded and abused that one's name and/or rank is not visible on it.

I have said this before elsewhere on AW, but it bears repeating here:

When was the last time you saw a fixed-wing aircraft stop, backup, and take another look at the naked woman laying on the beach? (the devil's whirlybird notwithstanding)

phrogpilot73

So kind of the same thing that helos would be, but 2x as fast in cruise? Alot of stuff like this? (USAF bird pictured)
Yes. Here's pictures to prove it:

v22.jpg

V-22_Humvee.jpg

v-22.jpg

%C5%A9%B1%E2%BA%AF%C8%AF_V-22_Dual_Fast_Rope.jpg

image.jpg

joshmf

This might belong in the Stupid Questions thread, but:

Looking at those pictures, it looks like the props extend below the landing gear. How does the Osprey land if one is unable to rotate the props up into the 'helo' position? Or do the props not extend below the landing gear?

phrogpilot73

Looking at those pictures, it looks like the props extend below the landing gear. How does the Osprey land if one is unable to rotate the props up into the 'helo' position? Or do the props not extend below the landing gear?
If the nacelles can't rotate up, and are fixed forward, the Osprey can still land. Yes, the prop-rotors extend beyond the landing gear, but they are designed to "broomstick" and not damage the airframe...

joshmf

Thanks for the answer phrogpilot73, that's bothered me every time I see a picture of the Osprey, but I wasn't sure if it was an optical illusion or not.

To my completely untrained eye, it seems like a sizeable design flaw- i.e. having to replace propellers in a forward-deployed area would be a fairly difficult process from at least a supply point of view.

I still want to ride in one though, pretty impressive bit of human engineering.

Fetter

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I took his question the other way; I thought he was getting at which platform the V-22 belongs to. Most would think it is in the props community, but according to my sources it is under helos. No crap, it is a tilt-rotor!? And what in the hell is your problem? I didn't elaborate, I figured a forum hawk would be along shortly enough.

"...idiot th-A-n to open..."

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Second, the "type" of flying (I'm assuming you mean mission) that the V-22 will do is assault support. What does assault support mean? Alot. Pick stuff up (day). Drop stuff off (day). Pick stuff up (night, unaided). Drop stuff off(night, unaided). Pick stuff up (night, aided). Drop stuff off (night, aided). Pick stuff up (shipboard). Drop stuff off (shipboard). DLQ/Inst. Etc. Etc....Think of it as a more powerful, more capable, faster CH-46E.

There. I fixed it for you.:D

phrogpilot73

I took his question the other way; I thought he was getting at which platform the V-22 belongs to. Most would think it is in the props community, but according to my sources it is under helos. No crap, it is a tilt-rotor!? And what in the hell is your problem? I didn't elaborate, I figured a forum hawk would be along shortly enough.

"...idiot th-A-n to open..."
Well your "sources" are wrong. It is a community all to itself. Yes, it is structured like an HMM, will be based at MCAS New River, but it is a VMM. It is the tilt-rotor community plain and simple.

What the hell is my problem? I wouldn't have rolled in hot if you had elaborated as to what the hell your cryptic post meant. But you didn't. Words mean things.

And if the best you can do is bust me on my grammar because one sentence in the post offended you... Then maybe you should stick with your original idea.