• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platforms/different lifestyles?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For me (helos), i liked the idea of having a crew.

I have a crew member.

It seemed like a little more variety in flights from day to day.

Look at the airplan or a fighter squadron flight schedule sometime... you'll learn that we fly just as many, if not more variety than a helo squadron (at least HS).

Also, each platform has different time to train. Starting advanced training to wings in helos it can be around 6 months. For jets you can look at a a year+. In the long term that isn't much time, but flight school gets old, it's nice to have some wings on your chest and fly a gray aircraft even if you are still a student.

That's true, a valid argument... time to train for jets is very long.

Remember location as well. Different platforms go to different places. It wasn't a big factor to me, i was more concerned with platform and mission, but that might be a factor to others.

Very true, seems helo guys get a good deal with places to be stationed. At least in the Navy.

Also i don't have to deal with NFO's :D (I keed, i keed!)

Not much difference between an NFO and your co-pilots who aren't at the controls, at least the way I see it...

The choice is simple though. You'll fly what they give you.

Now there is the money statement.

Not trying to bash or slam you in any way, but I had to pick something apart ;) (For some helo love, I do like many of the helo dudes on our boat... but you guys HAVE to ditch the silly subdued green patches!)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If one were to have top choice over any platform, what would cause someone to pick something other than jets based on the community that platform entails? I know some people pick helos because they like them or jets because they are thrilling, what else goes into the equation?

Thanks.

One thing I learned through flight school and whatnot... most people pick their platform without truly understanding what it entails. Trust me, when you start getting into the jet world, you had no idea it would be that way. I'm sure it's the same for P-3 and helo guys. You just don't have enough information to truly pick. Just don't be one of those guys that "doesn't care what they fly"... get a spine and care.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
I see your pick apart and raise you one.

I have a crew member.

All helos are multicrew. Not all jets are.

we fly just as many, if not more variety than a helo squadron (at least HS).

I said it 'seemed' that way. I've come to grips with my SSC future. Now at least i'll get to the do the same thing, everyday, except on a longer bag.

Not much difference between an NFO and your co-pilots who aren't at the controls, at least the way I see it...

Except for: "i have the controls"

Not trying to bash or slam you in any way, but I had to pick something apart ;) (For some helo love, I do like many of the helo dudes on our boat... but you guys HAVE to ditch the silly subdued green patches!)

You misunderestimate our sneakiness! :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see your pick apart and raise you one.

:D

All helos are multicrew. Not all jets are.

Very true. I used to want to be a single-seat guy, coming out of TRACOM. However, like many of us, I saw the light in the RAG and wanted the F model... why put yourself through the pain of single seat, it's just not necessary.

I said it 'seemed' that way. I've come to grips with my SSC future. Now at least i'll get to the do the same thing, everyday, except on a longer bag.

I hear yah. Though, SSC isn't all bad, with lots of ships around, it can be kind of entertaining.

Except for: "i have the controls"

There-in lies the beauty of the WSO... all the help of a co-pilot, but you get all the stick time ;) (and yes, I love having a WSO, a good WSO is truly their weight in gold)

Pags

N/A
pilot
(For some helo love, I do like many of the helo dudes on our boat... but you guys HAVE to ditch the silly subdued green patches!)

I'm assuming those are HS guys...how else are people supposed to know you're tactical unless you have tactical patches? It's also important that you be able to un-velcro your rank.

phrogpilot73

What type of flying is the V-22 going to be?
Last I heard, helo actually, no...not props[/QUOTE]
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

First, the V-22 is a tilt-rotor. So, the PROFILES they fly will mirror helo profiles on landing, somewhat like a helo (a really fast helo) on take off, and like a turboprop in cruise flight.

Second, the "type" of flying (I'm assuming you mean mission) that the V-22 will do is assault support. What does assault support mean? Alot. Troop transport, internal cargo transport, external cargo transport, fast roping, rapelling, raids, VBSS, aerial reconnaissance, etc... Think of it as a more powerful, more capable, faster CH-46E.

No, I wasn't. Who actually sees the most combat? I would guess cobras, harriers, and hornets but then again I know nothing.
Not really a good assumption. All platforms in the USMC are flying regularly in a combat environment. Phrogs/Shitters/Ospreys fly from as far as the Syrian/Joradnian border into downtown Baghdad doing all forms of assault support. Do they get shot at? I did. That's combat.

It seems easier to say that the platforms you mentioned sees more combat, because they have forward firing ordnance. It doesn't mean they see more combat, they just see it from a different perspective.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
... However, like many of us, I saw the light in the RAG and wanted the F model... why put yourself through the pain of single seat, it's just not necessary.
what pain does being single seat bring about? don't tell me your one of those guys that brag about not having to do anything in the jet but "start up, join up & shut up" while your WSO does everything for you (comms/navs/radar/etc). I've heard guys brag about that and it's disgusting (the most recent was an Academy grad freshly out of the SH RAG, bragging about how he barely made it through K-rock & the SH RAG and was glad he now has a WSO 'cause he doesn't have to "do jack shit but fly" ... that's the future of Naval Aviation.

... (and yes, I love having a WSO, a good WSO is truly their weight in gold)
and I'm told a poor one is an SA sponge.

I'll take the extra gas.

S/F

Nose

pilot
I'm assuming those are HS guys...how else are people supposed to know you're tactical unless you have tactical patches? It's also important that you be able to un-velcro your rank.

Why would you un-velcro your rank? Plan on getting busted?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

First, the V-22 is a tilt-rotor. So, the PROFILES they fly will mirror helo profiles on landing, somewhat like a helo (a really fast helo) on take off, and like a turboprop in cruise flight.

Second, the "type" of flying (I'm assuming you mean mission) that the V-22 will do is assault support. What does assault support mean? Alot. Troop transport, internal cargo transport, external cargo transport, fast roping, rapelling, raids, VBSS, aerial reconnaissance, etc... Think of it as a more powerful, more capable, faster CH-46E.

So kind of the same thing that helos would be, but 2x as fast in cruise? Alot of stuff like this? (USAF bird pictured)

800px-CV-22_Osprey_in_flight.jpg