• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platform cultures

no_rex4u

I hope you like jammin too.
yeah STS (sts) was actually the exact part this person was speaking to. I imagine, if true, all the other ridiculousness was just an extension over time.

while reading Training rules at a Red flag, Mig-1 kept saying "nugget-on" attacks vice "head-on."

definitely caught me off guard

taxi1

pilot
double space after a period

giphy.gif

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I heard something similar. It’s also why the phrase ‘so to speak’ is tagged on to anything remotely having innuendo.
It's also why 69, .69, 6-9... is in every damn pub.

We even have 6.9ms delay fuzing for certain weapons an option instead of 7ms.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
while reading Training rules at a Red flag, Mig-1 kept saying "nugget-on" attacks vice "head-on."

definitely caught me off guard

I've heard that one a few times. During an NWSEP exercise a number of years ago, our RSO (F-16 guy) kept using the term "skulling" instead of "heading" to describe proper flow direction at various stages of each profile. :rolleyes:

I'm down with a bit of community culture, but how about using proper aviation terminology, instead of sounding like a dumbass and impeding clear communication? This particular pilot was deeper than most into the "container/cranium/69/so-to-speak/elbow-pointing" culture. I think even the other USAF dudes were annoyed with him.

Mos

None
I've heard that one a few times. During an NWSEP exercise a number of years ago, our RSO (F-16 guy) kept using the term "skulling" instead of "heading" to describe proper flow direction at various stages of each profile. :rolleyes:
This is the one I heard about from a contractor relative working with F-15 pilots. Apparently it was parlance outside of work too, as in, "let's skull over to Dick's house for Shirley Temples later."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Absolutely. Day may come when this sort of idiocy contributes to a mishap.

More possible folklore, but I've heard that it already did once upon a time. Something about a pilot saying "skulling XXX" to ATC when meaning "heading", which led to confusion and somehow, a mishap. I put a pretty low confidence level on that story, but who knows....could've happened