• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platform cultures

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sounds like old info to me. When I enlisted in 99' I was told something along those lines and honestly I don't remember it being like that. Tomcat, Hornet, S3s, 60 it didn't matter everyone was always pretty cool to work with.

When I winged in 10' and went back out to the fleet I worked with every platform. I can't remember one time where I was like "oh man F those guys, they're Dbags." I worked with aviators all over the world, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and just about every platform from U2 to tankers. Everyone seemed to be normal people just keeping it real.

I remember getting hammered with MidnJac at some war game in VA when we were weapon schoolers and I don't think we talked about the fleet once. Just normal drunken shenanigans. This is coming from a VP guy so maybe I was just lucky ?‍♂️. From the inside looking out it seems like congressional budget bullshit and readiness pretty much put everyone in the same boat. But I left the fleet a couple years ago so maybe it's different now.
I think this went a little bit off the rails. The OP was interested in culture differences between communities. There is such a thing.
No one seriously sits around and calls other communities shitbirds or slackers. I don't know where anyone would get that idea. There is competition and good natured ragging where a community's culture or its characteristics are targets. Same same for Navy v Air Farce, Army v USMC, etc.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No one seriously sits around and calls other communities shitbirds or slackers. I don't know where anyone would get that idea.
But within a community, there is often That Squadron. Which specific unit it is may change over the years, but up and down the flight line, tales of buffoonery will occasionally emerge from That Squadron, and everyone else will hear and go " . . . and there those guys go again. Yeah . . ."

croakerfish

pilot
Most of the hate is reserved for our closest relatives. As an HSC true blood, I have much stronger opinions about other flavors of helo than I do about jets, P-8s etc. Particularly HSM. If you aren’t your parent’s favorite child and know it, you’ll get what I mean. Those nerds can go dip it somewhere else.

kunks

None
I think this went a little bit off the rails. The OP was interested in culture differences between communities. There is such a thing.
No one seriously sits around and calls other communities shitbirds or slackers. I don't know where anyone would get that idea. There is competition and good natured ragging where a community's culture or its characteristics are targets. Same same for Navy v Air Farce, Army v USMC, etc.

To be honest Wink I disagree. It seems like the more the managers took over and money/readiness became a thing there just isn't the differences like his question eludes to. And that was the point I was trying to make.

From my perspective the communities, at the JO level, were pretty homogeneous. Helo guys were no more "down to earth" than fighter guys were "fighter jocks" who thumped their chest. I just never saw any of that shit. And it was the same across all the services.

I had all kinds of cringe-worthy stereotypes, in my head and I never once came across any of them. Of course there are differences in communities but from what I saw not peronality based one's like he's asking about.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
For some cringe-worthy stereotypes that actually exist, try saying "head" or "box" around a USAF F-16 dude, and watch their head (cranium) explode. I never figured out why that community has such a self-imposed speech impediment.

For the OP's sake, I recall using the IPs in flight school as a gauge of whether or not that community was "cool". Maybe that's not the best metric, but something you can do is to ask them about their experience and how they liked it.

VFA. You work really hard, but get to fly something really neat, at least when budgetary constraints allow. Don't expect to see family much while on sea duty. Your squadron is your family now, with all the drama and dysfunction to keep things entertaining. If you go single seat, you make fun of the two-seat squadrons for having twice the people and not having to work as hard. If you go two seat, you relish the fact that you have twice as many buddies to start shenanigans with, although you still work hard. Cat shots are pure joy, except on a pitch black night and/or in shitty weather. There is never enough gas airborne. Flying around the boat is awesome, most of the time. Living on the boat sucks, most of the time. You might get cool port calls, but rarely, and almost never when promised. Don't get your hopes up until you're walking away from the pier in liberty attire or raising the gear after a cat shot to the beach. No matter what they tell you, surf & turf in the wardroom means BAD NEWS.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
For some cringe-worthy stereotypes that actually exist, try saying "head" or "box" around a USAF F-16 dude, and watch their head (cranium) explode. I never figured out why that community has such a self-imposed speech impediment.

That’s pretty much any USAF fighter squadron that I’ve dealt with. You should ask them to choose something and watch them try to point at it with their elbows. Apparently if they point at it with their hand, it’s a ‘target’.

The A-10 drivers though, those dudes just drink whiskey, fuck bitches, and blow shit up. Hang around with them long enough and you’ll become a raging alcoholic but have a helluva time doing it.
[/QUOTE]

Python

pilot
Contributor
I have asked about a dozen USAF guys what the deal is with containers and craniums and elbows. I have asked them with the utmost sincerity and I was clear that I was looking for the real deal, all jokes aside. I couldn’t get a straight answer among them.

Anybody here know? If you’re going to tell me that head and box are innuendo, I already know....

OscarMyers

None
I have asked about a dozen USAF guys what the deal is with containers and craniums and elbows. I have asked them with the utmost sincerity and I was clear that I was looking for the real deal, all jokes aside. I couldn’t get a straight answer among them.

Anybody here know? If you’re going to tell me that head and box are innuendo, I already know....

I've heard it was a case of malicious compliance brought on by an overzealous PC General.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be honest Wink I disagree. It seems like the more the managers took over and money/readiness became a thing there just isn't the differences like his question eludes to. And that was the point I was trying to make.
What the heck does money have to do with it? We may still be speaking past each other. I and I am sure the OP are talking about the generalized culture and personality type found in the various communities. That is driven by tradition, mission, work load, crew make up, wardroom size, nature of deployment etc. VS and VP had nearly identical missions with equitable funding, but the culture and many personalities were very different. VS was much more like our HS helo colleagues.

kunks

None
What the heck does money have to do with it? We may still be speaking past each other. I and I am sure the OP are talking about the generalized culture and personality type found in the various communities. That is driven by tradition, mission, work load, crew make up, wardroom size, nature of deployment etc. VS and VP had nearly identical missions with equitable funding, but the culture and many personalities were very different. VS was much more like our HS helo colleagues.

Yeah we probably are. I took his post as asking about the personalities of the aircrew themselves not the things you listed. I never once briefed with rotary guys and thought "they're down to earth" or fixed wing guys are not easy to talk to. They all seemed the same to me ?‍♂️.

I heard generalizations about those type of personality differences in the past too and didn't experience it.

As far as cultural differences of course they exist, always have, always will.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The stupid explanation I heard from some of their Weapons School guys was that it had to do with OPSEC. If they could train their nuggets to be conscious of what they said (even if it was incredibly stupid things like head and box), then they would be more careful about what they said (or didn't say) when it came to classified stuff.

I'm sure there are plenty of other dumb reasons out there.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Best explanation I heard was that it was initially a sarcastic response (as in a big inside joke) by the F-15 community back in the 1980's or so, in the midst of HHQ attempts to make the force more PC. But over generations their corporate knowledge of the origin and meaning was lost, and now you just have a bunch of dumb Lt's and Capt's running around sounding like idiots because they think it is real and actually take it seriously. I don't know if there is actual truth to that, but it would explain the lack of knowledge when the question is asked.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The stupid explanation I heard from some of their Weapons School guys was that it had to do with OPSEC. If they could train their nuggets to be conscious of what they said (even if it was incredibly stupid things like head and box), then they would be more careful about what they said (or didn't say) when it came to classified stuff.

I'm sure there are plenty of other dumb reasons out there.

That sounds like the line of bullshit a fart-sniffing patch wearer would make up to justify raging douchebaggery.