• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Different platform cultures

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Dudes...I am so confused right now.
5kMvoh.gif

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The stupid explanation I heard from some of their Weapons School guys was that it had to do with OPSEC. If they could train their nuggets to be conscious of what they said (even if it was incredibly stupid things like head and box), then they would be more careful about what they said (or didn't say) when it came to classified stuff.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Are there differences in culture? Yes, absolutely. Do I think they are becoming less and less different? Yes. I think that as we've become more standardized across the fleet - basically everyone follows the TOPGUN model and everyone has the same basic career path and the same pitfalls (how many of you have met old sim instructors who were like, "yeah, I flew TOMCATs for 10 years, decided I had too much fun for a lifetime and then flew C-12s out of Sig and Japan for the rest of my time before I landed this cush job and still managed to retire as a Captain!" and thought 'damn that's awesome only to find out 2 years later that there is no way in hell that's possible anymore?), there are less duty stations than there used to be, more wing-level standardization, On the VFA/VAQ side, everyone is a -18, almost every helo pilot is a -60 driver, E-2 guys are gonna E-2, COD guys are gonna COD Osprey and even those guys are a mix of HSC + C-2 bubbas... I can distinctly point out one d-bag and multiple awesome people in every squadron in my first airwing and I expect my next one to be the same. I compare how "plug and play" we are nowadays to the book CRUSADER! Last of the Gunfighters, and how every squadron was wildly different back then to how similar things are now. Each squadron still has its own culture, and that's largely set by the tone of the CO and XO, but we are far more standard than I think Naval Aviation used to be; I also think our cultures from squadron to squadron are bigger than they are platform to platform. I think those are bigger differences than actual community differences. By and large, it seems like everyone understands the role they play and goes about it professionally without being overly humble or overly arrogant.

Sonog

pilot
One thing I've heard constantly when it comes to aviation is that each platform has its own culture within it. The main stereotypes are that fighter pilots are more arrogant than everyone else and helo pilots are a little more down to earth, the list goes on. Obviously, life is never that simple, so for those who have been there and done that, are there different cultures amongst different aircraft platforms and if so what are the main differences between the fixed-wing, rotary-wing, tiltrotor, etc.

The cultural differences that someone off the street would notice or care about are so superficial that those in aviation probably wouldn't even notice them. Especially when everyone is in their 30s.

The real cultural differences like "my community is extremely risk averse and suffers from scope creep and frequent identity crises" are just pure nap material for someone off the street.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Best explanation I heard was that it was initially a sarcastic response (as in a big inside joke) by the F-15 community back in the 1980's or so, in the midst of HHQ attempts to make the force more PC. But over generations their corporate knowledge of the origin and meaning was lost, and now you just have a bunch of dumb Lt's and Capt's running around sounding like idiots because they think it is real and actually take it seriously. I don't know if there is actual truth to that, but it would explain the lack of knowledge when the question is asked.

I heard something similar. It’s also why the phrase ‘so to speak’ is tagged on to anything remotely having innuendo.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are there differences in culture? Yes, absolutely. Do I think they are becoming less and less different? Yes. I think that as we've become more standardized across the fleet - basically everyone follows the TOPGUN model and everyone has the same basic career path and the same pitfalls (how many of you have met old sim instructors who were like, "yeah, I flew TOMCATs for 10 years, decided I had too much fun for a lifetime and then flew C-12s out of Sig and Japan for the rest of my time before I landed this cush job and still managed to retire as a Captain!" and thought 'damn that's awesome only to find out 2 years later that there is no way in hell that's possible anymore?), there are less duty stations than there used to be, more wing-level standardization, On the VFA/VAQ side, everyone is a -18, almost every helo pilot is a -60 driver, E-2 guys are gonna E-2, COD guys are gonna COD Osprey and even those guys are a mix of HSC + C-2 bubbas... I can distinctly point out one d-bag and multiple awesome people in every squadron in my first airwing and I expect my next one to be the same. I compare how "plug and play" we are nowadays to the book CRUSADER! Last of the Gunfighters, and how every squadron was wildly different back then to how similar things are now. Each squadron still has its own culture, and that's largely set by the tone of the CO and XO, but we are far more standard than I think Naval Aviation used to be; I also think our cultures from squadron to squadron are bigger than they are platform to platform. I think those are bigger differences than actual community differences. By and large, it seems like everyone understands the role they play and goes about it professionally without being overly humble or overly arrogant.
I can see how the more homogeneous career paths, experiences, and opportunities could erode cultural differences over time. Thanks for the insight. Now I wonder if the community differences within the USMC are more pronounced then they may now be in the Navy.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
We briefly had a "Word of the Day" in the squadron while on cruise where you had to use it at least once during the brief. I still remember using "ergo".

XO stopped it when it inevitably got overly enthusiastic.
vis-a-vis

ETA: ceteris paribus, inter alia