• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Panel Interview Gouge

exNavyOffRec

I have a great CoC but my Skipper will not sign off on a DCO package from an E-5... Not enough leadership experience is the reason I'm given. I am 34yrs old with a college education, 6 years as an intel analyst on civilian side and 9 years in the Navy (Prior AM2 on active duty) PRISE-R program is a scam. I had to take a reduction in rank to E-4 to come back into the reserves thinking I would just go to A, C schools and make E-5 again fairly quick... Three years later I finally get C-school complete and test making E-5 first time up. will test for E-6 in the fall. So by the time I finish my masters I should be an E-6 and allowed to drop a DCO package.

That is messed up, you have more experience and leadership that some of the DCO's I have seen selected, not a lot more but you should at least get a chance.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A common misconception among URL officers* is that NIOBC (and reserve NIOBC) are easy courses and have no attrition. This misconception may originate from the fact that in 2011 all IWC officers automatically got their warfare pins by viewing a powerpoint. The current curricula is designed to be rigorous. I will not compare it to the rigor of NA wings, NFO wings, SEAL trident, etc - but it’s no longer just a powerpoint, and yes you can fail.

I know all that, and I wouldn't call it a misconception. The question still stands.

* Fun fact: the new NDAA makes IWC officers URL now. Yay.

Great, now they'll be even more insufferable while prattling on about how they 'have an equal seat at the table' with everyone else, which in itself says something about how they view things.

nodropinufaka

How does one fail out of NIOBC?

Its actually pretty difficult.

It is mostly rote memorization of a lot of things. Not alot of conceptual learning but alot of memorization and it is like drinking through a firehose with how much they throw at you. I was actually kind of surprised.

I sat next to a nuke who redes and he said the structure is similiar to nuke school where they teach you a lot of memorizing.

Which in my mind made it hard just for the sake of being hard so I hated it even more. It didnt actually teach you anything. Just forced you to stay long hours to memorize stuff you would forget the minute you left the school house.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its actually pretty difficult.

It is mostly rote memorization of a lot of things. Not alot of conceptual learning but alot of memorization and it is like drinking through a firehose with how much they throw at you. I was actually kind of surprised....It didnt actually teach you anything. Just forced you to stay long hours to memorize stuff you would forget the minute you left the school house.

There's a mix of sarcasm and seriousness in my comments.

I don't doubt it is difficult but I've known quite a few grads and most say it isn't very hard to make it through either in the end, and some of them are proof positive of that. Most of the transitions I've known who went through said it was much easier for them as they knew how to study for Navy courses and were familiar with much of what they taught one way or another already.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Great, now they'll be even more insufferable while prattling on about how they 'have an equal seat at the table' with everyone else, which in itself says something about how they view things.
Don’t look at us. Congress wrote it. I am even unsure whether anyone in the DoN had asked for it, or whether Congress took it upon themselves to change it.

I’m still awaiting info on how promotions will work. From what I’ve been told, IWC promotions will still be separate from “traditional URL” communities. Maybe the only real change is that the CNO can now be an IWC type, whereas before IWC was ineligible?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don’t look at us. Congress wrote it. I am even unsure whether anyone in the DoN had asked for it, or whether Congress took it upon themselves to change it.

They've (IWC leadership) has been advocating that for well over a decade, it wouldn't have made it in there without them (and I presume the Navy) pushing it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
They've (IWC leadership) has been advocating that for well over a decade, it wouldn't have made it in there without them (and I presume the Navy) pushing it.
Rgr. Well, the House and Senate evidently agreed with them. (Edit: I originally had POTUS listed too, but looking again it appears this law was passed with veto-overriding supermajorities.)

I’ll see if I can dig up the exact clause in the NDAA.

Last edited:

nodropinufaka

Really the real push for this was once IW got a spot at the table as a warfare commander in the CSG it was only a matter of time.

I disagree with it. But I don’t make the rules.

nodropinufaka

There's a mix of sarcasm and seriousness in my comments.

I don't doubt it is difficult but I've known quite a few grads and most say it isn't very hard to make it through either in the end, and some of them are proof positive of that. Most of the transitions I've known who went through said it was much easier for them as they knew how to study for Navy courses and were familiar with much of what they taught one way or another already.

it’s like an other course in the military (aside from flight school). They’re gonna get you through one way or another. Easy way or the hard way.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why exactly does the IWC want to be URL?

Because they are 'operators' and should be treated as such, that is the argument that many have made to me and others when questioned.

Also, does it maybe enable their ability to serve as a CCDR? That might be on the table now, too.

Command opportunities. IWC officers are limited in what they can command. For example, IWC officers cannot command warships.

Combatant Commanders are 'combat arms' or equivalent officers, even with this change IWC's aren't going to be 'combat arms' officers or the equivalent. And they ain't going to command warships anytime soon either, that'll be left to the professionals.

It doesn't even realistically expand their command opportunities that much since they will be limited to IWC units, note that they will not be thrown in the mix with the rest of the URL's for promotion.

Really the real push for this was once IW got a spot at the table as a warfare commander in the CSG it was only a matter of time.

There we go, a 'seat at the table'! I get that they are treading into 'warfare' but it is a very limited subset of it and will continue to be for a while, URL status will make them feel better but doesn't really change things all that much in reality now or in the near future.

nodropinufaka

There we go, a 'seat at the table'! I get that they are treading into 'warfare' but it is a very limited subset of it and will continue to be for a while, URL status will make them feel better but doesn't really change things all that much in reality now or in the near future.

I honestly don't know how they could do promotions separately from other URL.

I dont even agree with IWO officers being IWC because IWC isn't a warfare area.

I was a minority and all this nonsense is part of the reason I left.

now they got IW WTIs. How ridiculous.