• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Panel Interview Gouge

navgovie

IW Officer
I guess I just don't understand.

When I went to OCS I didn't do any interviews whatsoever. I just applied and gave the recruiter my transcripts, statement, etc and a letter of rec from my boss and off I went 8 months later. No interviews needed.

So I am just kind of confused about why we put so much weight on interviews when active duty doesnt even really do them.
I wanted to touch on this point as it is a very important nuance that few seem to grasp. The OCS process is a forge that (hopefully) filters out those unworthy or unable to perform the duties of an officer, and prepares candidates (typically with little experience) to be leaders in the Navy.

The DCO process is very different. It takes leaders in their given fields, and turns them into Navy officers. A tremendous amount of vetting must be done upfront. The Navy does not get months in a controlled environment to analyze and vet that the DCO is indeed already a leader, or that they possess the critical and rare skills the Navy needs immediately (think medical, cyber, etc). DCO candidates are granted a commission based upon their critical skillsets, and their proven leadership skills in their industry. They are expected to perform and lead day one, and are typically air dropped into a unit without receiving so much as a day of formal military education (they do eventually get some). As such, every vetting mechanism in place is used to verify their skill, experience, and integrity, to include in person interviews.

For those who went to OCS, initial interviews were unnecessary...you ultimately had ~13 weeks of "interviews" at every inspection, every formation, every review, and every class you took.

nodropinufaka

I wanted to touch on this point as it is a very important nuance that few seem to grasp. The OCS process is a forge that (hopefully) filters out those unworthy or unable to perform the duties of an officer, and prepares candidates (typically with little experience) to be leaders in the Navy.

The DCO process is very different. It takes leaders in their given fields, and turns them into Navy officers. A tremendous amount of vetting must be done upfront. The Navy does not get months in a controlled environment to analyze and vet that the DCO is indeed already a leader, or that they possess the critical and rare skills the Navy needs immediately (think medical, cyber, etc). DCO candidates are granted a commission based upon their critical skillsets, and their proven leadership skills in their industry. They are expected to perform and lead day one, and are typically air dropped into a unit without receiving so much as a day of formal military education (they do eventually get some). As such, every vetting mechanism in place is used to verify their skill, experience, and integrity, to include in person interviews.

For those who went to OCS, initial interviews were unnecessary...you ultimately had ~13 weeks of "interviews" at every inspection, every formation, every review, and every class you took.

I kind of disagree. I just think the whole entire DCO process needs to be revamped.

I come across individuals who are 1835s that are DCOs and tell me they're engineers- how does that even remotely translate to being a "leader in the field" as you said?

I went to NIOBC with three DCOs who all had stellar resumes but zero intel experience. One was a lawyer, one was an engineer and was a statistician. The engineer failed out.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went to NIOBC with three DCOs who all had stellar resumes but zero intel experience. One was a lawyer, one was an engineer and was a statistician. The engineer failed out.

How does one fail out of NIOBC?

njac35

Hello, IS2 here. I am just wondering how does one go about getting a flag level interview? I don't usually have much contact above the DIVO level so I'm assuming I would route a request chit to have a sit down and see if they will endorse it? Also how would I go about getting an interview with a high ranking officer from outside of my command? Can I just call up the secretary and ask to get on the schedule? Just trying to make sure I follow the right protocols, I have met some officers and Chiefs who are sticklers about such things.

V/R,
IS2(AW/SW)

fy18dco

In nearly all cases, you don’t set your interviews. Your recruiter will work with your region’s NIFR OIC to schedule interviews. Generally, each region has set weekends to conduct DCO interviews.

njac35

In nearly all cases, you don’t set your interviews. Your recruiter will work with your region’s NIFR OIC to schedule interviews. Generally, each region has set weekends to conduct DCO interviews.
I am a reservist currently on long term orders. I have spoken to Officer recruiters in the past and have been told that I would need to go through my command career councilor(CCC). CCC then tells me that if I want it then its up to me to figure these things out so I can prove that I want it.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am a reservist currently on long term orders. I have spoken to Officer recruiters in the past and have been told that I would need to go through my command career councilor(CCC). CCC then tells me that if I want it then its up to me to figure these things out so I can prove that I want it.
JFC... No wonder so many people leave the Navy...

fy18dco

That's wild man. We definitely had enlisted reservists participating in my interview weekend. Honestly, they probably made up the majority of interviewing candidates.

I'd find out who your NIFR OIC / DCO program manager is and just let them know you intend to drop a packet and would like assistance with scheduling interviews.

njac35

That's wild man. We definitely had enlisted reservists participating in my interview weekend. Honestly, they probably made up the majority of interviewing candidates.

I'd find out who your NIFR OIC / DCO program manager is and just let them know you intend to drop a packet and would like assistance with scheduling interviews.
That sounds like a good plan, I have some time since I'm finishing up my masters but when the time is right I will do that. Another question is how long are the interviews good for?

SELRES_AMDO

Hello, IS2 here. I am just wondering how does one go about getting a flag level interview? I don't usually have much contact above the DIVO level so I'm assuming I would route a request chit to have a sit down and see if they will endorse it? Also how would I go about getting an interview with a high ranking officer from outside of my command? Can I just call up the secretary and ask to get on the schedule? Just trying to make sure I follow the right protocols, I have met some officers and Chiefs who are sticklers about such things.

V/R,
IS2(AW/SW)
Serious answer.

I was in your shoes once and asked my Chief if he could help me out or at least point me in the right direction. Also asked my department head. Said Chief was awesome and got me an interview with the commodore within a week by calling the wing CMC. DH found another O-6 to interview me that day. Finding a Flag Officer might be a bit more difficult but I'm sure it isn't impossible. A good CoC should be able to help you assuming you're well liked.

My CCC was useless and I didn't even bother asking them during the entire application process. I did it on my own.

njac35

Serious answer.

I was in your shoes once and asked my Chief if he could help me out or at least point me in the right direction. Also asked my department head. Said Chief was awesome and got me an interview with the commodore within a week by calling the wing CMC. DH found another O-6 to interview me that day. Finding a Flag Officer might be a bit more difficult but I'm sure it isn't impossible. A good CoC should be able to help you assuming you're well liked.

My CCC was useless and I didn't even bother asking them during the entire application process. I did it on my own.
I have a great CoC but my Skipper will not sign off on a DCO package from an E-5... Not enough leadership experience is the reason I'm given. I am 34yrs old with a college education, 6 years as an intel analyst on civilian side and 9 years in the Navy (Prior AM2 on active duty) PRISE-R program is a scam. I had to take a reduction in rank to E-4 to come back into the reserves thinking I would just go to A, C schools and make E-5 again fairly quick... Three years later I finally get C-school complete and test making E-5 first time up. will test for E-6 in the fall. So by the time I finish my masters I should be an E-6 and allowed to drop a DCO package.

SELRES_AMDO

I have a great CoC but my Skipper will not sign off on a DCO package from an E-5... Not enough leadership experience is the reason I'm given. I am 34yrs old with a college education, 6 years as an intel analyst on civilian side and 9 years in the Navy (Prior AM2 on active duty) PRISE-R program is a scam. I had to take a reduction in rank to E-4 to come back into the reserves thinking I would just go to A, C schools and make E-5 again fairly quick... Three years later I finally get C-school complete and test making E-5 first time up. will test for E-6 in the fall. So by the time I finish my masters I should be an E-6 and allowed to drop a DCO package.
That's rough.

Mine was a bit different since I went to OCS and converted from reserve to active and then back to reserves once my commitment was up. Have you considered OCS option? My classmate at OCS was in a similar situation. Enlisted SELRES who tried for DCO and eventually gave up and went to OCS.

njac35

That's rough.

Mine was a bit different since I went to OCS and converted from reserve to active and then back to reserves once my commitment was up. Have you considered OCS option? My classmate at OCS was in a similar situation. Enlisted SELRES who tried for DCO and eventually gave up and went to OCS.
Yeah I did look at that. I recently returned from a 1 yr MOB and it was rough on the family... I was young and single while on active duty and had a blast with 4 west pacs with an f-18 squadron in 5 years. I'm not sure the wife would stick it out if it was that kind of OP tempo. Plus we are both in a place we love, close to family and friends. But still it is something I will keep in mind if the DCO route is exhausted.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
How does one fail out of NIOBC?
A common misconception among URL officers* is that NIOBC (and reserve NIOBC) are easy courses and have no attrition. This misconception may originate from the fact that in 2011 all IWC officers automatically got their warfare pins by viewing a powerpoint. The current curricula is designed to be rigorous. I will not compare it to the rigor of NA wings, NFO wings, SEAL trident, etc - but it’s no longer just a powerpoint, and yes you can fail.

* Fun fact: the new NDAA makes IWC officers URL now. Yay.

Edit: I am sort of mixing things here. NIOBC doesn’t confer the warfare pin, but completion of NIOBC is a required step for all 18XX/68XX/78XX officers before they can get their warfare pin. Non-IWC naval officers can get the IWO pin without changing designators, if they meet the criteria.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

JFC... No wonder so many people leave the Navy...
CCC get basically no training on officer programs, it is basically these are the programs we have and each command is supposed to designate an officer to assist sailors with officer programs.

The CCC is all about enlisted retention, so no one should be surprised that a CCC doesn't know about officer programs, on each CVN tour I was on the ESO was the one who did everything with officer programs and the CCC did nothing with it.