• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Panel Interview Gouge

link6

How do you think you would use AI or ML as an 1835?

There is literally no place to use that as a standard 1835.

First I have to say that as someone who spent most of my adult life in Hawaii, I dig your handle. \m/

Re. AI/ML, a generic answer that I'm pretty confident in (and which I don't mean to sound dismissive) is, "I would use it to augment aspects of whatever humans are currently doing, at machine speed."

In my interviews, I gave multiple examples of how the narrow swaths of AI/ML that I'm familiar with can facilitate SNR boosting, strategic forecasting, affective-state detection, etc. I have no insight into whether I'll be empowered to pursue those sorts of undertakings, of course, so I def. appreciate your take on whether AI/ML already has a place carved out for it, or whether I'll have to do some niche construction.

link6

I wouldn’t go that far. It is just a skill set that the IWC Reserve DCO board desires in applicants for 1835 reserve intel officer. If you want to use it, there are places where you can - you just have to ask around/ search.

Makes sense. My interviewers were so knowledgeable and over-the-top enthusiastic about it that I would find it really odd if it was a total nonstarter in the field. In our hour-or-so together, probably 45 minutes were spent discussing AI/ML.

nodropinufaka

Controversia
First I have to say that as someone who spent most of my adult life in Hawaii, I dig your handle. \m/

Re. AI/ML, a generic answer that I'm pretty confident in (and which I don't mean to sound dismissive) is, "I would use it to augment aspects of whatever humans are currently doing, at machine speed."

In my interviews, I gave multiple examples of how the narrow swaths of AI/ML that I'm familiar with can facilitate SNR boosting, strategic forecasting, affective-state detection, etc. I have no insight into whether I'll be empowered to pursue those sorts of undertakings, of course, so I def. appreciate your take on whether AI/ML already has a place carved out for it, or whether I'll have to do some niche construction.

i mean it has a place. I just don’t see the IC and DOD doing it. BAH has the contract for AI and ML with JAIC so you prob won’t get to do it as an 1835.

a valued skill set for sure.

I work for a AI/ML org and it’s cool work. It’s so far ahead of the IC. The IC and DOD kind of lags due to a variety of issues that plague them.

nodropinufaka

I disagree. But I won’t talk about it here, other than to say you are correct in assuming it’s unlikely most 1835s will end up using it in most circumstances.

That said, the Program Authorization specifically states:
(2) Work Experience: Prior experience in intelligence or cyber-related professions is strongly desired. (a) Additional consideration will be given to candidates with quantifiable experience in artificial intelligence/machine learning or space professions.

I mean it has a place in the DOD but BAH has the contract for it through JAIC.

An 1835 won’t be doing it

link6

i mean it has a place. I just don’t see the IC and DOD doing it. BAH has the contract for AI and ML with JAIC so you prob won’t get to do it as an 1835.

a valued skill set for sure.

I work for a AI/ML org and it’s cool work. It’s so far ahead of the IC. The IC and DOD kind of lags due to a variety of issues that plague them.

All great info... much appreciated!

I wanted to touch on this point as it is a very important nuance that few seem to grasp. The OCS process is a forge that (hopefully) filters out those unworthy or unable to perform the duties of an officer, and prepares candidates (typically with little experience) to be leaders in the Navy.

The DCO process is very different. It takes leaders in their given fields, and turns them into Navy officers. A tremendous amount of vetting must be done upfront. The Navy does not get months in a controlled environment to analyze and vet that the DCO is indeed already a leader, or that they possess the critical and rare skills the Navy needs immediately (think medical, cyber, etc). DCO candidates are granted a commission based upon their critical skillsets, and their proven leadership skills in their industry. They are expected to perform and lead day one, and are typically air dropped into a unit without receiving so much as a day of formal military education (they do eventually get some). As such, every vetting mechanism in place is used to verify their skill, experience, and integrity, to include in person interviews.

For those who went to OCS, initial interviews were unnecessary...you ultimately had ~13 weeks of "interviews" at every inspection, every formation, every review, and every class you took.
How will interviews with rating 10, 10 and 5 look on a DCO application? Is it possible to get another interview?

Can you tell us how you felt the interview went?
I felt it was great. The officer's impression according to me was that he felt i had a strong package. He spent a lot of time telling me what to do and expect if selected. Also he made inaccurate and misleading statement in the comments. The appraisal sheet was a complete opposite of what i felt during the interview

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
How will interviews with rating 10, 10 and 5 look on a DCO application? Is it possible to get another interview?
A five? Without another interview you are dead on arrival. That was the interviewers way of telling everyone, "don't pick this person" but without them actually having to explain it with an extreme rating.

Which community?

Apapa2

A five? Without another interview you are dead on arrival. That was the interviewers way of telling everyone, "don't pick this person" but without them actually having to explain it with an extreme rating.

View attachment 29683

Which community?

Piggybacking off of this. I had my panel for 1835 a few weeks back, my recruiter told me my scores. Is 10,9,8 survivable? I'm outside of DC area.