• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel questions

nodropinufaka

As the others have posted, I also absolutely disagree. Frankly, I showed up for OCS as a First Class with the same sentiment, but going through that process changed me in very important ways, and helped me frame aspects of my leadership style. It's a wake up call, and a reminder that you have zero experience as an officer - zero. The extreme attention to detail with severe consequences for failure is a good primer for people who will operate weapons systems, employ deadly force, and be responsible for people's lives.

i will agree. Also showed up as a first class with a combat deployment to Iraq under my belt.

Was a extremely worthwhile experience that I hope to never have to do again. Lol

a_dub

"flank" speed
I think you have an extremely skewed perception of what you do at OCS.

you barely do any of that stuff.

I said ODS, not OCS.

As the others have posted, I also absolutely disagree. Frankly, I showed up for OCS as a First Class with the same sentiment, but going through that process changed me in very important ways, and helped me frame aspects of my leadership style. It's a wake up call, and a reminder that you have zero experience as an officer - zero. The extreme attention to detail with severe consequences for failure is a good primer for people who will operate weapons systems, employ deadly force, and be responsible for people's lives.

Glad you had that OCS experience, as posted above, my post was for ODS.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I said ODS, not OCS.

Glad you had that OCS experience, as posted above, my post was for ODS.

What's the alternative then? I can't think of a single officer program off the top of my head where officers don't go through an officer accession program (with one tiny, unique exception). Navy Reserve DCO's are already a pretty odd duck and prior service ones are even more so, pretty small numbers especially when compared to total number of officers commissioned a year. Big Navy isn't going to tailor a program for the tiny handful of DCO's who are prior-E's with significant service time so they are putting them through the officer accession program that makes the most sense.

So suck it up and drive on, if you have enough experience in the Navy this shouldn't be a surprise to you at all and will hardly be the last time you'll see the Navy hammer a round peg through a square hole.

a_dub

"flank" speed
What's the alternative then? I can't think of a single officer program off the top of my head where officers don't go through an officer accession program (with one tiny, unique exception). Navy Reserve DCO's are already a pretty odd duck and prior service ones are even more so, pretty small numbers especially when compared to total number of officers commissioned a year. Big Navy isn't going to tailor a program for the tiny handful of DCO's who are prior-E's with significant service time so they are putting them through the officer accession program that makes the most sense.

So suck it up and drive on, if you have enough experience in the Navy this shouldn't be a surprise to you at all and will hardly be the last time you'll see the Navy hammer a round peg through a square hole.

Pretty funny how many people like you get emotional with this discussion and feel the need for the whole 'suck it up' lackluster advice. My original comment was based on an earlier post that said ODS was essentially a better all around program than DCOIC, which I posted my thoughts on, then all the hardcore folks of AW decided to come post their opinions. Since the title of the thread is about Intel DCOs, as one I'll sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Keep the comments (many of which are confused and/or referencing other programs) coming, for this sure is a fun and great discussion.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty funny how many people like you get emotional with this discussion and feel the need for the whole 'suck it up' lackluster advice. My original comment was based on an earlier post that said ODS was essentially a better all around program than DCOIC, which I posted my thoughts on, then all the hardcore folks of AW decided to come post their opinions. Since the title of the thread is about Intel DCOs, as one I'll sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Keep the comments (many of which are confused and/or referencing other programs) coming, for this sure is a fun and great discussion.

Emotional? I know you can't read folks well on the internets but still...

You sure other folks are the ones "confused"?

I think a little bit of critical thinking instead of blanket mentality would show DCOIC is more than adequate for people who meet some type of TIS and are reservists.

Having just finished ODS...

a_dub

"flank" speed
For someone who whines about having to put in minimal effort to get a commission, not that surprising.
Yup, I'm here to amuse. For the rest of whatever this is that is ongoing, I didn't realize forum members were not allowed to express an opinion others do not agree with. But since that seems to be the case, I'll keep going as long as the useless comments flow.

nodropinufaka

I am honestly curious about your background.

I see a drone in your profile pic

a_dub

"flank" speed
I am honestly curious about your background.

I see a drone in your profile pic

Would my background somehow validate my original post with my opinion that the Navy consider bringing DCOIC back for prior Es who are going into the reserves?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The only option is ODS. Suck it up or get out of the way because there is a line full of people a mile long who would be happy to take your place. Seriously, this has been debated for a long time here and no one here is going to be able to change it.

My original comment was based on an earlier post that said ODS was essentially a better all around program than DCOIC, which I posted my thoughts on
You stated that current Navy Reservists do not need to attend ODS which, IMHO, is an ignorant thing to say. A lot of people, including E9's and senior Officers did the work and came to the conclusion that ODS is a better program that produces a consistent product.

As I tell everyone, if you have thoughtful feedback or comments about training, contact the CNRFC N7.

BT

We had this same issue in the 1825/IP community. Lots of people coming in and trying to get waivers for this and that because they were a civilian SME in X, Y, or Z. Then we get numerous complaints about the lack of consistent quality/knowledge in our 1825/IP DCO's. This led to them sending everyone to the active duty school. No exceptions. This never happened in the 1835/INTEL community because we (I am a former 1835) have had a standard training program for a long time.

BT

Yes, being prior Enlisted helps (I myself am prior Enlisted), however, it is not a ticket to skip the line.

Last edited:

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
We had this same issue in the 1825/IP community. Lots of people coming in and trying to get waivers for this and that because they were a civilian SME in X, Y, or Z. Then we get numerous complaints about the lack of consistent quality/knowledge in our 1825/IP DCO's. This led to them sending everyone to the active duty school. No exceptions. This never happened in the 1835/INTEL community because we (I am a former 1835) have had a standard training program for a long time.

Hopefully they are able to break the program down into parts to help alleviate the strain on reservists! I'm 100% for attending and understand the reasoning behind the AD school (as well as ODS) but its still a large commitment. It's hard for me to understand how a freshly minted O-3 coming onboard will be able to get ODS, qualified, and any sort of promising billet/mob accomplished before their first look at O-4. Busy busy!

SELRES_AMDO

Hopefully they are able to break the program down into parts to help alleviate the strain on reservists! I'm 100% for attending and understand the reasoning behind the AD school (as well as ODS) but its still a large commitment. It's hard for me to understand how a freshly minted O-3 coming onboard will be able to get ODS, qualified, and any sort of promising billet/mob accomplished before their first look at O-4. Busy busy!
By putting the Navy first and above your other commitments. I say that with sarcasm but there are A LOT of people who view the reserves that way. So be prepared.

nodropinufaka

One of the CDRs I worked for told me that “no one should expect to be promoted if they’re only doing two weeks of AT and 48 drills”

so prepare yourself.

I think that kind of statement and thought is ridiculous