• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel questions

rlskelton

The Adventure Begins
Hello again all,

I'm revisiting the idea of submitting another package for the DCO program. The last time I visited this page, I was primarily focusing on submitting my HR package; that has since been submitted, but I'm highly considering simply doing one for Intel. Personally, I'm thinking there may be better luck on the Intel side since I have a Masters in National Security, so it certainly interests me. Unfortunately, I have zero warfare quals that would be beneficial for my package and I worry that would be a hard pass for the board. All of my experience in the NATSEC field comes directly from education for my BA and my MA. With that being said, I haven't found a tremendous amount online pertaining to the PA for Intel; I have however reached out to my recruiter that assisted with my HR package. I located the Community Info Sheet, but surely there has to be more information out there than this. My basic background is as follows:

• Bachelors in Science in Paralegal Studies with a Minor in Strategic Intelligence
  • Masters in Law in National Security
  • YN2 (no warfare quals)
  • Management Analyst (0343)

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to any input you may have.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
First hit's free...

Here's the master list of Navy Reserve program authorizations, and DCO INTEL in particular.
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Pages/Program-Authorizations.aspx
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-.../Documents/PA-208A_INTEL_Reserve_Apr-2020.pdf

Without looking at your work history/experience, I'm not sure you're competitive for DCO INTEL (not saying you don't have it, just that you didn't mention it). A large number of applicants already work in the IC in one capacity of another, or have something the board is looking for; the most recent selection list specifically mentioned preference for those with AI/ML experience. To top it off, DCO INTEL is normally oversubscribed with applicants, compared to available slots.

If you want to go deep on the data, PM me...

rlskelton

The Adventure Begins
You are a lifesaver, thank you for the websites to retrieve the PA's. All also appreciate your honest with the competitiveness of the program. I may have some questions in which I'll PM you for, I'm going to review the PA's first and go from there.

Thank you again.

First hit's free...

Here's the master list of Navy Reserve program authorizations, and DCO INTEL in particular.
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Pages/Program-Authorizations.aspx
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-.../Documents/PA-208A_INTEL_Reserve_Apr-2020.pdf

Without looking at your work history/experience, I'm not sure you're competitive for DCO INTEL (not saying you don't have it, just that you didn't mention it). A large number of applicants already work in the IC in one capacity of another, or have something the board is looking for; the most recent selection list specifically mentioned preference for those with AI/ML experience. To top it off, DCO INTEL is normally oversubscribed with applicants, compared to available slots.

If you want to go deep on the data, PM me...

when I click on the links it takes me to the page but I can’t see the documents @fieldrat

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Honestly, I'd look at another designator. Aside from what others have said, the promotion rates to O4 for 1835/Intel suck.

As I've said to others, your goal is to be a Naval Officer. Apply for the designator for which you are the most competitive. When someone reviews your package, they should automatically know your designator choice. You want to walk and talk like that duck.

Then, get your commission and initial qualifications done, after which you can seek to change your designator which is much different and much easier than the DCO process.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
@fieldrat Can you provide some insight into the ODS Training?
Um...I went to DCOIC (predecessor of ODS) and it was only two weeks. Currently ODS (from what I'm hearing from recent attendees) is 2 weeks of ROM (where you do all the GMT and book stuff in your room), then two weeks of learning to 'Officer'. Throw in a PT test, and a 3rd-class swim test, a couple uniform/room inspections, and that's pretty much it.

TheClyde

Not sure when they did the brief name change to DCOIC, but it was referred to as ODS from 2009/2010 to at least 2013
Just to clarify, are you saying the now defunct two week school for direct commission reserve officers known as DCOIC was previously referred to as ODS?