• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel Eligibility & Process

bluemarlin04

Why is the IW pin a joke? Is the EDO pin is a joke? The FMF pin? Seabees have one, but I'd be interested to hear which warfare domain they control. And yet there's no hostility towards any of them (and many, many others) having pins.

I agree an IW officer shouldn't command a CSG, but similarly don't understand why that would preclude certain IW designators from being URLs (nor why aviators should command a CSG, for that matter). We don't put EOD officers in charge of CSGs, but they're URLs. The logic isn't adding up

PS that article had a response (from within the IW community): https://www.usni.org/magazines/proc...mation-warfare-decade-indulging-false-analogy
You just posted the same article I posted proving my point that the IW isn’t a URL. I posted that article the last page.

And you seriously can’t understand why an Aviator would command a CSG?

egiv

You just posted the same article I posted proving my point that the IW isn’t a URL. I posted that article the last page.

And you seriously can’t understand why an Aviator would command a CSG?

Correct - my bad, I missed your original post with the Stephenson article and only saw the Butera one subsequently posted. I was just pointing out that there is diversity of opinion within the IWC and they're (we're) making a realistic effort towards defining what our role should be, not that the article proves anyone right or wrong.

Regarding aviators commanding CSGs, yes, I understand, but I think you're missing my overall point, which is to say that I don't think that the pin, and the increasing importance of what it represents, is a joke.

bluemarlin04

I guess I should clarify my point.

Everyone LCDR and above got the pin from an NKO course so I think it’s got problems

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Everyone LCDR and above got the pin from an NKO course so I think it’s got problems
Uhm, it was a little more detailed than that and was not rank dependent for certain designators. This was the grandfathering period for officers as outlined in OPNAV Instruction 1412.13 and NAVADMIN 328/10.

It was a sh*t show. Take an eLearning course and get a warfare device. For those of us who suffered through other qualification programs while on active duty, this was a depressing thing which is why I have always disliked the IDWO pin.

bluemarlin04

Uhm, it was a little more detailed than that and was not rank dependent for certain designators. This was the grandfathering period for officers as outlined in OPNAV Instruction 1412.13 and NAVADMIN 328/10.

It was a sh*t show. Take an eLearning course and get a warfare device. For those of us who suffered through other qualification programs while on active duty, this was a depressing thing which is why I have always disliked the IDWO pin.

Sorry should have been more clear. I meant everyone who did the NKO program is a LCDR and above now. Don’t think anyone who did it would be a JO anymore.

I ended up doing both the NKO and full qual program. So ridiculous.

How is any pin to be taken seriously when everyone in the senior ranks got it from an online course?

WAMI

No offense to the OP, but there is a long-running stereotype of lawyers in Navy DCO intel (especially from the D.C. area) who think intelligence sounds cool on a resume, apply, get selected (often with political connections), serve for a few years, and end up as Capitol Hill staff or running for political office in their home state. I know some 1835 lawyers; many are good people and good officers. I hope in time they can be the ones to prove the stereotype false... but for now, the stereotype is still very much alive.
Yes... This infuriates me! I am an Intelligence Officer with the IC, with over 19 years of experience. Make me upset to know I have to go up against these people and possibly lose to a single person like the ex-White House Cheif of Staff. These people do not contain the experience the DCO program was meant to recruit. These people simply get selected for PR purposes. The DCO program was meant to fill critical positions with experienced professionals. IT goes to cyber, Lawyers go JAG, Doctors go Medical Corps. The DCO program is not fulfilling mission needs when doing other than.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yes... This infuriates me! I am an Intelligence Officer with the IC, with over 19 years of experience. Make me upset to know I have to go up against these people and possibly lose to a single person like the ex-White House Cheif of Staff. These people do not contain the experience the DCO program was meant to recruit. These people simply get selected for PR purposes. The DCO program was meant to fill critical positions with experienced professionals. IT goes to cyber, Lawyers go JAG, Doctors go Medical Corps. The DCO program is not fulfilling mission needs when doing other than.

To be fair the CoS you mentioned was never selected by IWC DCO.

bryanteagle6

Current Commander NIFR is a lawyer but to what flash said, commissioned before 9/11. They want STEM degrees now a lot more too (60% i think), so you would be in the 40% rough selection group. Im not sure that is a hard percentage and/or adhered to.

I agree with the ppl talking about the Region OIC. I believe the best factor for me getting selected was the OIC endorsement and him being involved in the board in general.

WAMI

And if you get commissioned you will be treated like every other Ensign.

And I would never expect anything other than. The point I was trying to make was that they’re looking for seasoned and experienced professionals to fill specific jobs. The program was not meant for a doctor to fill a cyber job or a lawyer to fill in as a GEOINT analyst or as Bathometric or Remote Sensing scientist. I am very aware of the rank structure.

WAMI

To be fair the CoS you mentioned was never selected by IWC DCO.
Was he not selected for INTEL? I only know he told me he was applying for INTEL when we were doing our interviews together last summer. What was he selected for? CNN and Politico released an article stating he was selected -- thats all I know.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Was he not selected for INTEL? I only know he told me he was applying for INTEL when we were doing our interviews together last summer. What was he selected for? CNN and Politico released an article stating he was selected -- thats all I know.

If you scroll up you can read about his fate.

bryanteagle6

Kinda makes me feel good that i got selected out of the same board that he was not. Even if he was well qualified, they stayed pretty true to the "tough to get selected the first time" mantra!

bluemarlin04

The program was not meant for a doctor to fill a cyber job or a lawyer to fill in as a GEOINT analyst or as Bathometric or Remote Sensing scientist. I am very aware of the rank structure.

That is not at all what Navy Intelligence Officers do.

I think you may not really understand Naval Intelligence.