• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

USAF.Boom

I agree completely that hard work and good LOR's are more important, my point was that for someone to say who you know can't be a huge or even decisive factor is just kidding themselves. And as far as the results board thing. He got a personal call from someone, don't know who or anything else, but he was informed somehow very, very quickly. But he told that person he would not let me know the results (just that they were complete) until I found out through "normal" channels.

PapaK

If I may add my 2 bits, when I first spoke to my recruiter about LORs he told me that LORs from legislators often look impressive but really show nothing since most legislators hardly know the people they are writing about personally. He did, however, add that it would be highly impressive if you've worked for them and they can speak to your character. Based on that information and everything I'm reading on the forum. LORs are better coming from people who know you PERSONALLY. What I'm getting is this: Do not pad your LORs with people who know little or nothing about you. The question I ask myself is this: If someone picked up the phone and called this writer, what could they say about me beyond the letter I've asked for.

As always, thanks for the informative discussion.

nas6106

I tend to agree with PapaK. For the record, I was selected this round, my first time out and my LOR's were all folks I'd worked with. No congressmen or senators just folks who had served or are serving who used kind phrases like "a soldiers soldier" or "an asset to the service". My IP interviews were also folks that knew my capabilities. I think showing consistency of support across your LOR's and interviews is critical.

My hat is off to those working through a couple rounds. Your fortitude is truly inspiring.

I think this discussion board has been really helpful in making me comfortable with my decision to return to service as a 41 year old mid (high mid :) career professional. Keep up the good work and the great discussions!

Got my physical coming up and awaiting my COMDOCS. Kind of nervous? But in a good way! Go Navy!

Devil Duck

To clarify my statement on LORs from impressive people - you must know them and do actions noticeable to them. That means: work in the community, work on campaigns, provide value to the service (flag officer) et cetera.

I'll be the first to admit I cheez-dicked my LORs, and was still a first round go. Should have/could have gotten recommendations from my boss's bosses (SES & MG). Didn't because I took a calculated risk that the effort involved in getting them wasn't necessary. In my case they were not. Really wouldn't not have been too much work. Have realized over the years that it's good to do good work that's recognized by others. You never know when you'll need to cash in a favor. I'm the first to admit hating to ask for anything. Especially something to further my own personal endeavors. Had I needed that second go-around that would have been the first area in which to strengthen my packet. That, followed by asking for LORs from the congressmen whose campaigns I'd previously worked on.

GIJ316

OK, I know this is not an HR forum, but this forum tends to be the best informed, and HR holding a board is pretty rare so there is very little information. Has anyone heard an outcome from the HR Board last week?

patsox

Sir- Same Patsox--unfortunately I did not--will continue with Supply--sorry for the entry on Intel forum--but noticed the HR question- good luck to all--HMC