• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CY 2011 DCO IW/IP/Intel boards: discussion and speculation

das

Contributor
To those who have been selected, congratulations and welcome to the Information Dominance Corps. Now you're wondering about the next steps.

- The "Scroll". This is a document signed by the Secretary of Defense that appoints you as an Officer in the Navy Reserve...this is the longest wait, and could take 2-3 months.

- Final Select (FINSEL). This is a letter you'll get, probably electronically via your recruiter, pretty soon after the scroll is released, and pending successful medical clearance.

- Commissioning Documents (COMDOCS). These are the official documents that you sign and end up making you officially an Officer in the Navy: this is when you raise your right hand.

Then you will get hooked up with your nearest NOSC (Navy Operational Support Center), which provides administrative support to you and your unit. You'll arrange your first drill weekends, the first 1 1/2 or 2 of which will likely be indoctrination drills (INDOC)...think of it as "new employee orientation", except for the Navy Reserve. You have an 8 year commitment. 3 years of that must be in active drilling (Selected Reserve, or SELRES, status). The rest may be in Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) status, but given all the work you put in to get here, you'll probably want to serve as long as you're able. These programs enable you to get 20 "good years", which is eligible for reserve retirement.

You will most likely be assigned to the nearest appropriate unit with an available billet in your community.

For those without active TS/SCI clearances, your TS/SCI should begin moving forward as soon as you get FINSEL. This could take around a year or longer...it depends on a lot of factors. There are some other milestones, depending on your community. They'll generally come up in this order:

- DCOIC - This two-week course needs to be completed within one year of commissioning.
- Applicable community-specific course (NIOBC, IPBC, IWBC) - For INTEL, NIOBC is available in an 18-month-long drill weekend format. Reservists can take the Active Component version, but a limited number of slots are available. IPBC and IWBC are 4 and 8 weeks, respectively, and must be taken along with the Active Component in Pensacola. There are 1 or 2 reserve slots available each course, and you only commence training once your clearance is final.
- Applicable community Personnel Qualification Standard (PQS) - usually should be done within 3 years of commissioning, and is tied to the training in the previous item.
- IDC (IDWO) PQS - should be done within 4-5 years of commissioning, depending on community. There may be changes to this for Reserve members...we'll see.

Until you're qualified in at least your own community, you most likely won't be mobilized or deployed. However, after you're qualified, it's not a matter of "if", but "when". Obviously we're all subject to mobilization at any time within the existing framework, but the Navy wants us to be useful before we're mobilized, too.

Again, congratulations to those who were selected. To those who weren't, keep pushing forward!!

nas6106

Das,

Thanks for the great information. I am an IP selectee for this board. For all the folks on here still trying or confused about age....I am a 41 yr old prior service (AF) member (8 years svc). Age wasn't an issue for me, so I'd say keep trying until they cut you off!

mbstroz

Marc (IP Ensign)
Thank you for letting us know nas6106.. It's great to know they still consider us even in our advance and senile age. :)

Oh yeah. and Congratulations. Can't wait to join the IP ranks with ya.

dephyler

Contributor
This leads me to a question - is there any way to possibly apply through a different NIRR?

That's one of those, "it depends" questions. The rules stipulate that your first gaining command can be no farther than 3 hours from your home. If you're within 3 hours of a unit in another NIRR, then go for it. Depending on where you live in NY, you might get lucky. NIRR-MA FT Dix covers NJ and PA up to ME, so you'd have to look West or way South. And you'd have to hurry looking South, as the two Mid-Atlantic NIRRs will be merging shortly.

I don't know how exceptions (read waivers) to this rule happen, but they do. We had an ENS that was assigned to us but lived in Germany. And I'm sure that some folks out in the sticks out west run into some issues, too.

Of course, once the NIRR structure is thrown out, then who knows how it'll work!

malavehr

Navy Reserve DCO Intel candidate

Good afternoon sailors. I am waiting for the March 2011 Navy DCO Board results. According to the forum the Board has adjourned but I have not received any news from my Officer recruiter. The last time I emailed him, he said that he will let me know when he receives the board results. Should I be worried? Should I think that "no news is good news?". I will appreciate if anyone of the forum users offers a wise suggestion because I want to contact the recruiter but he said that he will contact me. I have been a Navy Enlisted Reservist for the past 7 years. Thanks!!.

das

Contributor
malavehr, until you hear, no news is good news...bit the results are indeed out and your recruiter should have access to them.

das

Contributor
Unfortunately, there's no way you can access the results yourself...but the results letter is out there for the Navy Recruiting Districts to access...

malavehr

Navy Reserve DCO Intel candidate

Thanks DAS! I am very positive about this Officer Commission but after reading many of the forum reader I am worried. I have a BA in Political Sciences and a Law Degree. Have been in the Navy Reserve as a Legalman for the past 7 1/2 years. I was informed that I had good interviews with a Intel Reserve CO and the Intel Panel. One of my letter of recommendation was from a well respected CAPT in the Reserve Intel Community. I will let you know of the results as soon as I heard from the Officer Recruiter.

das

Contributor
I wish you the best! Thank you for your service and please share your progress!

Paul Robichaux

Got the call yesterday: non-sel. Looks like it's time to kick it up a notch to get my package improved for the September board.

Congrats to those who were selected! I hope to be six months behind you in date of rank :)

widi

I'll be joining the both of you again in September. While I think we can all agree that it would be preferable to be selected sooner rather than later, the process certainly makes selection that much more rewarding.

Congratulations to all those that recieved a positive response.

Devil Duck

Don't get discouraged. Believe it or not, these appointments are highly coveted and very competitive. Everyone I've met in IDC is highly educated, experienced and very successful in their civilian career. Just know that the applicants who beat you out this go around probably had an edge in more than one criteria.

Good luck to all of you in a future board.

USAF.Boom

Devil Duck,
First, I hate you for reminding me of all of this! And, I sat next to you in SD and I do not fit any of those "highly educated, experienced and very successful in their civilian career". Luck is all brought, which I borrowed from someone else. :)