• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current API Gear Issue Situation

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yeah dont get your hopes up about getting a helmet when you get here to primary. They dont have any here either. Youll be rocking a rental until they get more in. Good news is i saw a sign yesterday that said there was a new shipment of kahki flight suits that just came in.

i just saw the new class check-in today and saw a dude wearing the khaki flight suit. sucks they ran out of sage. he made heads turn thats fo'sho.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
i just saw the new class check-in today and saw a dude wearing the khaki flight suit. sucks they ran out of sage. he made heads turn thats fo'sho.
Its pretty common at Whiting. Half of the flight surgeons that just finished ground school have them, along with a good third of my API class. Nobody seems to care much anymore.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah dont get your hopes up about getting a helmet when you get here to primary. They dont have any here either. Youll be rocking a rental until they get more in. Good news is i saw a sign yesterday that said there was a new shipment of kahki flight suits that just came in.

Not sure what info you're basing your comment on (and it might be true), but the latest class that started flying this week has helmets, they just haven't been finished being built.

Its pretty common at Whiting. Half of the flight surgeons that just finished ground school have them, along with a good third of my API class. Nobody seems to care much anymore.

They're just a uniform. I swear, it's like I'm back in shoeland again. They would always get uppity when we'd wear our tan flight suits and not actually in the dessert. It's no different than if a shoe decides to wear his wash khakis instead of his blue pajamas. It's just a uniform.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Are you serious? Sheeeeeeeesh. Yea, i ended up throwing down like $70-80 for all my stuff, including the kneeboard and nav bag. Probably part of the "Student Harassment Package" along with turnpoint procedures.

I don't remember being issued my nav bag or kneeboard either.

It is your God given right to b**ch from time to time, but pilots use that stuff, too, and we also aren't issued it. And really, I'm glad. If the issue nav bag would be anything like that kneeboard I saw people with, no thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
An issued Nav Bag for SNAs? I've never seen such a thing. Is this relatively new?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
We (SNFOs) have a nav bag to hold our kneeboard, approach plates, charts, etc. Could it be that?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I don't know if my post caused any confusion, but I have never seen an issue nav bag for SNA, either. That was my (not so clear) point.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Actually, I was picturing some guy on his 1st hop heading out the plane w/ a parachute bag while his instructor went looking for a shovel w/ a long momentum arm...

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Wow...things have gotten bad in gear issue, huh? Almost makes me feel bad for having a spare flight suit I use for doing house work and oil changes (got a hole in the knee and had it replaced and they let me keep it).

Seriously, though, don't stress the gear too much. I promise you won't fly without having the opportunity to get all the safety gear you need. If you do fly without it, it's all on you.