• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Chest X-rays do not confirm if the patient has COVID-19 or not. For COVID-19 confirmation, swabs of the nose and throat are put through real-time reverse-transcriptase–polymerase-chain-reaction (rRT-PCR) testing. In medical cases, X-rays show whether the patient has junk in their lungs or not. For the first COVID-19 patient in the US, the patient had clear X-rays intially despite being positive for COVID-19. It was not until the evening of his 5th day in the hospital did his chest X-ray start to show pneumonia. From the X-ray perspective alone, a COVID-19 patient (atypical pneumonia) can look similar to a pneumonia patient.

First Case of COVID-19 in the US

Bruin,

Middle of February my two year old was admitted to the ER after my wife and I noticed a high heart and respiratory rate. We spent about 36 hours at the hospital. She tested positive for “a” Coronavirus and had pneumonia-like symptoms confirmed with X-Rays. Oxygen and IV administered and we were released after a day and a half.

Question - Is it possible that the presence of Covid-19 would create a positive test result for previously known Coronavirus’ tests? We’ve kept her home since but just curious.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I would like to point out that I did disclaim my own post as speculative questioning by a non professional. And in that post I questioned the veracity of the current timeline regarding the published starting point of this pandemic in the States. I also cited my reason for asking the question: conversations with medical folks. I don't think my question or my reasoning behind the questioning is pure bullshit, but that's okay, I can take it ?. And finally, I didn't say the diagnosis were confirmed by the X-rays, but that x-rays from confirmed cases had accompanied training materials (I don't know how they were confirmed...ya got me there). I am certainly not a pundit nor do I peddle extremist or ideological views.

@bruinmedic...great link. Thanks.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Sam, sorry brother, I did not intend that to be a faceshot at you in any way. I am just very tired of the conspiracy theories, especially when combined with the false narrative of "it's just the flu" being pushed by the Fox crowd. Now more than ever we need to approach things with science, expertise, and critical thinking, e.g. what Bruin posted. Hopefully folks can gain a little insight from the link I posted in spite of my clumsy delivery.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
A. There’s a DOD wide travel ban
B. All IDT/AT etc has been put on hold.

It’s not that they don’t WANT to give you orders or have you come out on AT, it’s that they CAN’T

I understand that. Before any policy was promulgated, the word at our training wing is
‘the fear is reservists who travel will infecting the AD guys with this virus.’

No shit.

D

Deleted member 24525

I understand that. Before any policy was promulgated, the word at our training wing is

No shit.
And they were wrong?

taxi1

pilot

No shit.
No kidding. It's crazy how fast this has crossed the globe, all thanks to air travel.

D

Deleted member 24525

No shit.
Do understand that this isn’t an “active duty” vs “reservist” thing going on here...it’s an operational issue. You can’t have your entire squadron getting sick and shutting down ops.

don’t take it personally or as an AD vs Selres thing.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
And they were wrong?

Fear based policy, with no science to back it up, is generally the best kind of policy.

Gyms on base are still open. AFAIK, they’re still holding chapel services and giving holy communion. No major disinfectant kick in any of the spaces, still the same old dirty communal keyboards and coffee. The planes’ controls sure as shit aren’t getting cleaned any more often than they were before.

The AD guys are just as likely to get it from Seville quarter or the Pelican as they are from some dirty reservist.

You’re right. It’s not an AD vs RC issue.

Half measures are silly. Turn off production, give it a month, deep clean everything in the interim, and get back at it when there’s a little more science and a little less fear. I played softball for three weeks a couple years ago instead of flying and a bunch of contractors got a vacation because some old people in washington couldn’t get their shit together and pass a budget. We survived that break in production. We can survive this one.

This is an actual issue that could affect readiness, but nothing we’ve done so far looks like enough of a measure to actually stop or slow this thing.