• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Pilotboyg

I worked Paid EMS in NJ near NYC. Hospitals and EMS departments are so critically low on n95 masks that we were told we need to use the same masks until it becomes soiled. I talked to a lot of different doctors. At first I thought this was a complete joke and over reaction. I think the most accurate numbers are coming out of South Korea where the death rate is 0.7% which is still very significant. If people can attempt to self quarantine that will really help us in a few weeks. Tonight's my last day of work since my OCS date is April. I feel bad for leaving at this time but at the same time I am relieved to be spending time with my family.

hdr777

pilot
I worked Paid EMS in NJ near NYC. Hospitals and EMS departments are so critically low on n95 masks that we were told we need to use the same masks until it becomes soiled.

My department was about to put out a policy on reusing N95's, but the state changed procedures to if providers suspect the patient of covid, patient and provider wears surgical masks, and if they are actually providing care considered "high risk" to wear N95's,

Pilotboyg

My department was about to put out a policy on reusing N95's, but the state changed procedures to if providers suspect the patient of covid, patient and provider wears surgical masks, and if they are actually providing care considered "high risk" to wear N95's,
I have been seeing some company's putting out policies on changing their treatment plans when it comes to covid-19 patients. Avoiding CPAP and albuterol treatments.

exNavyOffRec

unfortunately that article has inaccuracies, the first person initially reported to have dies was on Feb 29th, however there were others before that (Feb 24th and Feb 26th) who were found to have passed away from it when lab results came back, those deaths were reported to the media on Mar 4th (maybe earlier) and I think there was another later to have been determined the same time frame as well, so if this reporter can't get those facts correct how much of the rest of his article contains errors?

"Two of the three Washington state victims identified Tuesday died on February 24 and February 26, before the illness became widespread. It made them the first known COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. As of Wednesday, Washington has 39 positive diagnoses of coronavirus, the most in the country."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
unfortunately that article has inaccuracies, the first person initially reported to have dies was on Feb 29th, however there were others before that (Feb 24th and Feb 26th) who were found to have passed away from it when lab results came back, those deaths were reported to the media on Mar 4th (maybe earlier) and I think there was another later to have been determined the same time frame as well, so if this reporter can't get those facts correct how much of the rest of his article contains errors?

"Two of the three Washington state victims identified Tuesday died on February 24 and February 26, before the illness became widespread. It made them the first known COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. As of Wednesday, Washington has 39 positive diagnoses of coronavirus, the most in the country."
As of today, it's 40 deaths amongst 642 confirmed cases. But the testing rates are still low, and the death rate is skewed because the virus hit a nursing home in Kirkland, which is the worst place it could have gotten, before people knew what they were dealing with. 27 people have died there, all very elderly folks.

Good news is that the CDC lab gave UW's virology lab the go-ahead to use their new tests, and the Gates Foundation apparently has an in to start ramping up remote testing, where they send a kit to people's houses and pick it up. Basically the entire tech sector, including yours truly, is teleworking, and the famed Seattle traffic is on a temporary hiatus.

exNavyOffRec

As of today, it's 40 deaths amongst 642 confirmed cases. But the testing rates are still low, and the death rate is skewed because the virus hit a nursing home in Kirkland, which is the worst place it could have gotten, before people knew what they were dealing with. 27 people have died there, all very elderly folks.

Good news is that the CDC lab gave UW's virology lab the go-ahead to use their new tests, and the Gates Foundation apparently has an in to start ramping up remote testing, where they send a kit to people's houses and pick it up. Basically the entire tech sector, including yours truly, is teleworking, and the famed Seattle traffic is on a temporary hiatus.
absolutely correct, my daughter has a classmate who's grandparent was there and passed away, my understanding is he? was already in very bad health, so yes the absolute worse place for it to infect. The more people tested the more will be positive, the other thing is the degree it hits a specific person, some have few symptoms, some die. There were several at my work about a week before it became and issue who were sick, when we looked at the symptoms we all met them to a degree, now none of us were high risk and so did we have it, or did we have another respiratory issue, who knows, however you will see the number of positive cases jump way up as that is what happens when you get better testing done.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
DISCLAIMER: non medical dude here, BUT...

I have a few friends in the medical world from different parts of the country and they suspect this has been around for a while...perhaps even since last fall. The training material sent to the hospitals includes chest X-rays from positively confirmed COVID-19 cases and those x-rays are identical to "flu" patients x-rays from the recent (months) past. But those folks weren't tested for anything and treated as "simple" flu patients or the test they were given was for something other virus and thus never flagged CONID.

So, now that they're testing for COVID-19 it makes a lot of sense that they're finding more of it and perhaps the transmission curve is distorted because we're really not at the starting point of this thing, but in fact a ways down the timeline? I dunno...just a thought.

exNavyOffRec

DISCLAIMER: non medical dude here, BUT...

I have a few friends in the medical world from different parts of the country and they suspect this has been around for a while...perhaps even since last fall. The training material sent to the hospitals includes chest X-rays from positively confirmed COVID-19 cases and those x-rays are identical to "flu" patients x-rays from the recent (months) past. But those folks weren't tested for anything and treated as "simple" flu patients or the test they were given was for something other virus and thus never flagged CONID.

So, now that they're testing for COVID-19 it makes a lot of sense that they're finding more of it and perhaps the transmission curve is distorted because we're really not at the starting point of this thing, but in fact a ways down the timeline? I dunno...just a thought.

I just got off the phone with a friend in the medical field that said pretty much the same thing, didn't give a date just said probably around since the "end of last year".