• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

D

Deleted member 24525

Fear based policy, with no science to back it up, is generally the best kind of policy.

Gyms on base are still open. AFAIK, they’re still holding chapel services and giving holy communion. No major disinfectant kick in any of the spaces, still the same old dirty communal keyboards and coffee. The planes’ controls sure as shit aren’t getting cleaned any more often than they were before.

The AD guys are just as likely to get it from Seville quarter or the Pelican as they are from some dirty reservist.

You’re right. It’s not an AD vs RC issue.

Half measures are silly. Turn off production, give it a month, deep clean everything in the interim, and get back at it when there’s a little more science and a little less fear. I played softball for three weeks a couple years ago instead of flying and a bunch of contractors got a vacation because some old people in washington couldn’t get their shit together and pass a budget. We survived that break in production. We can survive this one.

This is an actual issue that could affect readiness, but nothing we’ve done so far looks like enough of a measure to actually stop or slow this thing.

no science to back it up? Ok bro, good luck to you.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Do you have any evidence showing higher rates of infection for airline pilots or reservists than the general public? I’ve seen nothing showing that. Everyone is a vector for this thing because of how long it lives on surfaces and the lack of a herd immunity.

Look at the crux of my post. It’s that instead of looking empirically at evidence (any group of individuals in communal gatherings....eg a squadron), leadership knee-jerked a half measure that’s not going to do anything to make anyone safer.

Telling everyone to stay home and cleaning the shit out of the spaces has a lot more science backing it up than saying if 10% of the population stays away, everyone else will be fine. It’s wrong and if anything, gives people a false sense of security that they don’t need to worry about this bug because the “high risk” individuals have been told to stay away.

D

Deleted member 24525

So you don’t think people who travel are at greater risk of contracting and spreading it?

for real dude?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Buddy who is a reserve deputy said his sheriff told all volunteers, including reserve deputies to stay home and not participate. That is both to reduce the number of potential carriers in close working environment and to hold the reserves in, well, reserve. If the full time guys get decimated he will call in the fresh reservists. (Pay attention SELRES) Also told all calls for service will be handled on the phone. Only responding in person to crime in progress. Mrs Wink has a trial coming up. In our state the courts are open even though jurors and those called to jury duty are held in large groups shoulder to shoulder for hours.

Goodfou

Fear based policy, with no science to back it up, is generally the best kind of policy.

Gyms on base are still open. AFAIK, they’re still holding chapel services and giving holy communion. No major disinfectant kick in any of the spaces, still the same old dirty communal keyboards and coffee. The planes’ controls sure as shit aren’t getting cleaned any more often than they were before.

The AD guys are just as likely to get it from Seville quarter or the Pelican as they are from some dirty reservist.

You’re right. It’s not an AD vs RC issue.

Half measures are silly. Turn off production, give it a month, deep clean everything in the interim, and get back at it when there’s a little more science and a little less fear. I played softball for three weeks a couple years ago instead of flying and a bunch of contractors got a vacation because some old people in washington couldn’t get their shit together and pass a budget. We survived that break in production. We can survive this one.

This is an actual issue that could affect readiness, but nothing we’ve done so far looks like enough of a measure to actually stop or slow this thing.

Completely agree. We are playing both sides right now. Just get it over with. The sooner we go all stop, the sooner we can hope to contain it. What are we waiting for, all the carriers to have outbreaks? Italy did it over a week ago and they are still fighting to contain it. I’m betting we completely shut down the US within 72 hours with minimum military operations.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Completely agree. We are playing both sides right now. Just get it over with. The sooner we go all stop, the sooner we can hope to contain it. What are we waiting for, all the carriers to have outbreaks? Italy did it over a week ago and they are still fighting to contain it. I’m betting we completely shut down the US within 72 hours with minimum military operations.

72 hours isn’t fast enough. Nonessential personnel and production squadron personnel should be staying home now. Military is always slow to move unfortunately.

We’ve shut down production for way dumber stuff in the past, don’t know why we’re dragging our feet and waiting for this to turn into Italy.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
So you don’t think people who travel are at greater risk of contracting and spreading it?

for real dude?

I think every single person who leaves their house is at risk of contracting and spreading this. I don't think eliminating 1/10th of the people you contact mitigates the risk. Right now, there is 1 reported case of a US airline pilot being infected with COVID-19. Without adequate testing, we don't know the rate of infection in that population vs the general public.

The stop movement makes sense in that you aren't providing potential vectors all over the country. Continuing to go about business as usual when you've only told 1/10th of your workers to stay home doesn't.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
72 hours isn’t fast enough. Nonessential personnel and production squadron personnel should be staying home now. Military is always slow to move unfortunately.

We’ve shut down production for way dumber stuff in the past, don’t know why we’re dragging our feet and waiting for this to turn into Italy.

This. This is the point I'm trying to make. Thanks.

Why does everyone ignore the person that died on Jan 23rd who was confirmed to have it? Where did they get it? or what about the person that died on Jan 25th/26th that was also confirmed to have it?
I do not believe there is an effort to ignore confirmed COVID-19 patients or deaths. At the local level, information about infectious patients is shared among medical providers to prevent spread. These processes have been in place. If someone was in the ICU for active tuberculosis some of the people that would get notified include:
  1. the medical providers who took care of the patient in the ER
  2. the fire and EMS crews that brought the patient into the hospital
  3. the county health department
Beyond that I do not know how or when the public or news outlets are notified.
Bruin,

Middle of February my two year old was admitted to the ER after my wife and I noticed a high heart and respiratory rate. We spent about 36 hours at the hospital. She tested positive for “a” Coronavirus and had pneumonia-like symptoms confirmed with X-Rays. Oxygen and IV administered and we were released after a day and a half.

Question - Is it possible that the presence of Covid-19 would create a positive test result for previously known Coronavirus’ tests? We’ve kept her home since but just curious.
For the patient referenced in the New England Journal of Medicine article I referenced, he tested negative for the four previous known Coronavirus’(HKU1, NL63, 229E, and OC43). If the RT-PCR test is used, it identifies specifically which Coronavirus strain it is.

exNavyOffRec

So not trying to be a dick or anything but looking for actual thoughts on this, so far we have had 72 deaths due to Covid-19 in 25 days, from data I found on the CDC website on average 79 people die per day from the flu (CDC website says 16K to 42K deaths per year) which is 1975 in the same 25 days.

Do you think people just didn't know how many people actually died from the flu? and if they actually did would the panic currently going on be much less than it is now?

D

Deleted member 24525

So not trying to be a dick or anything but looking for actual thoughts on this, so far we have had 72 deaths due to Covid-19 in 25 days, from data I found on the CDC website on average 79 people die per day from the flu (CDC website says 16K to 42K deaths per year) which is 1975 in the same 25 days.

Do you think people just didn't know how many people actually died from the flu? and if they actually did would the panic currently going on be much less than it is now?
Do you think the reaction is because of the death rate?

exNavyOffRec

I do not believe there is an effort to ignore confirmed COVID-19 patients or deaths. At the local level, information about infectious patients is shared among medical providers to prevent spread. These processes have been in place. If someone was in the ICU for active tuberculosis some of the people that would get notified include:
  1. the medical providers who took care of the patient in the ER
  2. the fire and EMS crews that brought the patient into the hospital
  3. the county health department
Beyond that I do not know how or when the public or news outlets are notified.

It was on all the news outlets in the NW as to those actual first deaths, and of course was confirmed by CDC, so don't know why it is ignored, maybe because they had done all their projections on the one that died on the 29th and didn't want to redo the info?