• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

GroundPounder

I really didn't remember who Joe Rogan was, name sounded familiar but not enough to look him up until the post here made me a bit more interested. I looked him up and listened briefly to 3 videos of him with guest and it seemed all the same to me in that it all centers on conspiracy and distrust of anything. I had to stop listening it was just irritating.

I have never listened to him, but sounds like a modern version of Art Bell. Whatever happened to listening, or not listening, and everyone moving on with their lives.

I used to listen to Art when working nigh shifts and sometime it was interesting and others times the people he was talking to were F'ing crazy. In the end it was just for entertainment, just like Joe Rogan is now. He is not bringing down another set of tablets from the mount.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Balance is in the eye of the beholder. At some point, alternative thinking becomes bad or dangerous ideas.
True enough re. balance. But in our society, the bad or dangerous ideas are either protected by law or public out cry. People are free to say one thing or another is a bad idea or misleading, but I think we agree, choosing an arbitrator with the power to silence those ideas or encouraging the very powerful non-government censors is the ultimate bad idea. If Americans were educated well enough and exposed to the truth as well as the misleading, no bad idea would become dangerous.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Were you in Griffin over the weekend? I noticed that there was quite a bit going on with the AAHF folks there.
No, but I was involved, in a way. It was a training weekend. I sat through the training via Zoom. The folks that were in GA then got to go fly for training or evaluation. We will fly off the rest of our training locally when our Huey finishes certification flights. They were complaining the weather wasn't so good.

GroundPounder

No, but I was involved, in a way. It was a training weekend. I sat through the training via Zoom. The folks that were in GA then got to go fly for training or evaluation. We will fly off the rest of our training locally when our Huey finishes certification flights. They were complaining the weather wasn't so good.
I remember you saying that ya'll had one getting close to being done, but could not remember if it was out here or not.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True enough re. balance. But in our society, the bad or dangerous ideas are either protected by law or public out cry. People are free to say one thing or another is a bad idea or misleading, but I think we agree, choosing an arbitrator with the power to silence those ideas or encouraging the very powerful non-government censors is the ultimate bad idea. If Americans were educated well enough and exposed to the truth as well as the misleading, no bad idea would become dangerous.
As is so often confused in these cases, freedom to say a thing is different than the right to a platform from which to say it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As is so often confused in these cases, freedom to say a thing is different than the right to a platform from which to say it.
That is true, but maybe changing a bit. When it comes to the big social network guys, they may find themselves treated more like a public utility. And that might result in some changes to their management of this sort of thing. There is little point to freedom of speech unless your speech can be heard and is accessible. That is the theory behind challenges to so called free speech zones. I am conflicted a bit and don't have a firm position on this sort of issue yet. As of now, I reject the absolute right to a private platform.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Balance is in the eye of the beholder. At some point, alternative thinking becomes bad or dangerous ideas.
I don't listen to Joe Rogan, but in trying to find what was actually said that triggered all of this commotion, I couldn't really find any direct quotes about being 'anti-vaxx.'

The long and short of what I could find is that he said that he doesn't understand vaccinating children based on the risk COVID-19 posed to them and that vaccines don't prevent spreading the disease, hosted Dr. Malone, a scientist who worked on developing mRNA vaccines but was banned from Twitter over expressing concern about its effectiveness, and tried every possible treatment available when he contracted COVID-19.

The 270 protests from doctors are in regards to Joe Rogan hosting Dr. Malone. Again, I can't find what Dr. Malone said or did specifically to trigger a letter with 270 signatures, but that's their beef.

All that to say - I don't think he crossed the line into 'dangerous,' and I sincerely doubt there are an appreciable number of people who changed their opinions by listening to his show. There is a very vocal minority of people out there who will label and attempt to silence anyone who deviates from the CDC's webpage, including some writers for major media outlets that stir up outrage with sensational headlines. I think that's more dangerous than anything Joe Rogan says on his show. I hope Spotify takes the Netflix route and stands firm.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rogan himself is unvaccinated, and is a vocal supporter of snake oil treatments like ivermectin, which he took himself when he became infected with COVID. Do with that what you may, but it’s not difficult to assess the degree to which Rogan is strongly and vocally anti-vax. To suggest that nobody will listen to what he says belies a complete ignorance to his audience’s fanaticism toward him.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Rogan himself is unvaccinated, and is a vocal supporter of snake oil treatments like ivermectin, which he took himself when he became infected with COVID. Do with that what you may, but it’s not difficult to assess the degree to which Rogan is strongly and vocally anti-vax. To suggest that nobody will listen to what he says belies a complete ignorance to his audience’s fanaticism toward him.
So you think there are a substantial amount of people out there that canceled their vaccine appointments because Joe Rogan told them to?

I give people more credit than that, but maybe Darwin was onto something.

I don't think that anyone is changing their opinions on COVID-19 or vaccines at this stage of the game; Joe Rogan's podcast has a negligible impact on that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you think there are a substantial amount of people out there that canceled their vaccine appointments because Joe Rogan told them to?

I give people more credit than that, but maybe Darwin was onto something.

I don't think that anyone is changing their opinions on COVID-19 or vaccines at this stage of the game; Joe Rogan's podcast has a negligible impact on that.
Perhaps you’ve not noticed, but there’s a fairly strong anti-vax sub culture in this country. They feed off each other and any celebrity that champions their cause. In the aggregate, Rogan, and people like him are absolutely contributing to low vaccination rates. I shouldn’t have to explain this to you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Perhaps you’ve not noticed, but there’s a fairly strong anti-vax sub culture in this country. They feed off each other and any celebrity that champions their cause. In the aggregate, Rogan, and people like him are absolutely contributing to low vaccination rates. I shouldn’t have to explain this to you.
You know, before today I thought that people could look at widely available public data regarding health risks of COVID-19 along with health risks and efficacy of the mRNA vaccine to make a personal health decision with the advice of their healthcare provider.

But apparently I was wrong and the only reason people decide not to take the vaccine is that Joe Rogan told them not to.

Thanks for explaining it to me, even though you shouldn't have to!

We totally should indict Joe Rogan. He killed thousands of people!

robav8r

None
Contributor
What we need here folks, is a Joe Rogan podcast pitting Captain Brett against Dr. Robert Malone to settle this COVID-19 vaccine nonsense once and for all. Who's with me ???

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, before today I thought that people could look at widely available public data regarding health risks of COVID-19 along with health risks and efficacy of the mRNA vaccine to make a personal health decision with the advice of their healthcare provider.

But apparently I was wrong and the only reason people decide not to take the vaccine is that Joe Rogan told them not to.

Thanks for explaining it to me, even though you shouldn't have to!

We totally should indict Joe Rogan. He killed thousands of people!
If only.