• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

robav8r

None
Contributor
Should you be scared?

Somewhat. You should be scared to the same degree as if you are jumping out of an airplane. If you are practicing good rigging and going with a pilot and jump chief you know and trust, and you are selecting for safe weather conditions, you can manage your risk (but never to zero). If you are jumping with a shitty unverified chute at dusk out of a sketchy parachute company you found on Groupon in some backwater location, you might as well be obese, unvaccinated, and letting people cough into your mouth on spring break. It’s all about understanding the degrees of risk and making risk informed decisions.
Captain MOTO . . . .

taxi1

pilot
The title of the article sort of implies that he knew the risks!
Did he pass it to anyone else before going into the hospital? He was making a risk decision that didn't just impact him or his wife and 5 kids. It impacted everyone he might come into contact with.

Someone gave it to him who likely"knew the risks" too.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Did he pass it to anyone else before going into the hospital? He was making a risk decision that didn't just impact him or his wife and 5 kids. It impacted everyone he might come into contact with.

Someone gave it to him who likely"knew the risks" too.

The cases map looks ominous, but the deaths and hospitalization maps are completely benign. The CDC isn't even tracking fatalities per 100k in roughly half of the country.

It's over. Give it a rest. It's the internet, so of course everyone got COVID-19 four times and spent 3 weeks in the hospital.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Update to the study from Massachusetts showing the majority infected at a weekend event were vaccinated:

The actual story: 60,000 people attended a gay party week and generally acted like covid doesn’t exist. Of the 60,000 visitors plus residents 968 were infected. Of those, 7 were hospitalized and no one died.

The NYT headline:

It's Nowhere Near Over': A Beach Town's Gust of Freedom, Then a U-turn

Scary, scary stuff. Probably other viruses spread there scarier than scaryvirus:

“By the end of the week, Mr. Katsurinis was taking reports of positive coronavirus cases all gay men, with an average age of 30 to 35, many of whom had seen a doctor for other reasons, like flu symptoms or sexually transmitted infections, not suspecting the coronavirus. What puzzled him, he said, was that so many of the infected people were vaccinated.”

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
How sick were they? Were they symptomatic?

Also, nobody died, so... what's the problem?

Not clicking on anything from NYT, and definitely not subscribing to read.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Enough to see a doctor. Probably a few thousands more that just had it and never knew.

I see it as a good news story. Vaccine = screw the virus.
I knew you wouldn’t read the article so I even included a couple snippets. You could at least read that much.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'd already read the article.
So to answer “how sick were they” the answer should be “not very” as the doctor quoted said “many” of those diagnosed came in for other ailments like STD’s. That plus some common sense seeing that of almost 1000 detected cases only 7 were hospitalized with/for scaryvirus.

taxi1

pilot
So to answer “how sick were they” the answer should be “not very” as the doctor quoted said “many” of those diagnosed came in for other ailments like STD’s. That plus some common sense seeing that of almost 1000 detected cases only 7 were hospitalized with/for scaryvirus.
How often do you go see a doctor when you are sick? Every little cold or sniffle? Does"many" equal most?

Probably a hell of a lot more just enjoyed a mild cold.

I think we are in agreement on the main point of the article

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I see it as a good news story. Vaccine = screw the virus.
Unfortunately, that's not the tune coming from our federally elected political leadership, nor from the leaders of many states and municipalities. Hence the frustration.

The case fatality rate in Mar-Apr of last year was 7%. It stabilized at 1.5-2% from last summer to this spring when testing became more available. After the vaccine has been promulgated more widely in the spring, it now sits at 0.4% - in line with the seasonal flu.

Tracking total cases as a sole metric is silly, but here we are.

Last edited:

jackjack

I think this may be a factor in discussions, with those with prior infections.
Even mild cases of COVID-19 may lead to loss of brain tissue, according to findings from a long-term study involving 782 volunteers.