• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm not getting involved in the bigger debate but helmet laws are far from 100% universal. Three states have no laws, and the majority of the rest are age specific, generally 17-20 years old and under required helmets by law.
Fair enough. Does that change the overall point that it's common for government and multiple levels to enact laws and regulations to discourage the behaviors wink outlined?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The first two are the same. We are not doing the third one, we are just trying to do the first two for the unvaccinated now, which means trying to keep the total number of infections circulating through the whole population low. The vaxxed are sacrificing for the unvaxxed, and for anyone who might need a hospital bed.

If we didn’t have the huge pool of unvaccinated, this whole thing would be in the rear view mirror for us. What a bunch of bullshit.
You got vaccinated for yourself. You didn’t sacrifice shit. You’re less useful to society than the guy that got actual covid at a party. Don’t hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

JustAGuy

pilot
Fair enough. Does that change the overall point that it's common for government and multiple levels to enact laws and regulations to discourage the behaviors wink outlined?

Not saying anything about your point at all as I won't get involved in that discussion.

What was more my point is how often people/media/politicians say "It's not allowed at all" or "Everyone has to get it" or anything absolute when that is not in fact the case.

The only thing I'll say in regards to this topic and even the ones Wink/you mentioned is that I firmly believe we are into the Darwin phase of this event.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The first two [minimizing hospitalizations and preventing deaths overall] are the same.
No, they aren't. In the first case, if the hospital capacity exists then there should be no restrictions or precautions put out at all. In the second case, restrictions and precautions will last indefinitely until the entirety of society is vaccinated or the disease burns itself out.

We are not doing the third one [minimizing cases]
Have you been living under a rock? Virtually every metric and reporting criteria shifted from fatalities to cases about 9 months ago. No one is even talking about fatalities anymore, particularly the media, because the CFR has plummeted from ~10-15% at the onset of the outbreak to roughly 1-2% over last winter to roughly 0.5% now, a point where it wouldn't make scary headlines anymore because it's on-par with the flu.

The CDC's recommendation to re-instute masks (and the DOD subsequently following suit) is strictly based on cases, not an increase in hospitilazations or fatalities.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
Have you been living under a rock?
If the unvaccinated weren’t filling up hospitals and ICUs, we wouldn’t be doing a whole nuther round of restrictions.

We also wouldn’t have the case counts if it weren’t for the unvaccinated pumping it into the population.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If the unvaccinated weren’t filling up hospitals and ICUs,

Citation needed.

The amount of hospitilzations is a tiny fraction of what it was 6 months ago.

We also wouldn’t have the case counts if it weren’t for the unvaccinated pumping it into the population.
Ultimately irrelevant. If we aren't taxing hospital capacity and people are not dying in large numbers, there's no reason to care about COVID case counts any more than there's reason to care about how many people catch a common cold.

But worse than vaccination is being fat. 78% of hospitilazed COVID-19 patients in 2020 were overweight or worse. Put the twinkie down...

Statistic: Distribution of hospitalizations among adults with COVID-19 in the United States from March to December 2020, by body mass index | Statista

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
Citation needed.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not one of those yellow journalism articles cites any statistics that hospitals are nearing capacity. Because they can't:

That's why they use relative terms like 'omfg hospitilizations have tripled!' Sounds a lot more ominous than "hospitilizations have returned to levels seen in summer 2020 and spring 2021, roughly 1/3 the peak level seen in winter.'

Last edited:

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not one of those yellow journalism articles cites any statistics that hospitals are nearing capacity. Because they can't:

View attachment 31779

That's why they use relative terms like 'omfg hospitilizations have tripled!' Sounds a lot more ominous than "hospitilizations have returned to levels seen in summer 2020 and spring 2021, roughly 1/3 the peak level seen in winter.'
Filter by 'Texas' 'Louisiana', or 'Arkansas' for the jurisdiction on the page you cite.....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only 11 states don't tax pre-prepared food (e.g. roasted chickens, salad bar items, frozen meals, etc.) and goods like soda, juice, or candy in grocery stores.
You said they were taxed because they were unhealthy, not pre-prepared. Taxing pre-prepared food is exactly what I referred to. And the motive is not because it is unhealthy.

Ultimately you seem to miss the point of my post. I am not questioning whether the government takes action for pubic health and safety reasons, or whether they even should. My point is, they do not do it in matters more deadly than COVID. It is left to the public to assess the risk on their circumstance. So why not now?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Perhaps it is the portion of the hospital designed and equipped to handle Covid patients that is reaching a limit? To take my friend for example, he was at one hospital but on a list to be transferred to a hospital that had specialized equipment, in this case something called an ECMO machine that oxygenates blood. It was a 5 day wait until a spot opened.