• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
So today my county just came out with new health directives. So reading through, it literally says that mask use is continued and required due to... wait for it... you guessed.. Dr Fauci says so. ?. More science!

taxi1

pilot
Also, if 99% of South Koreans are wearing masks, why are their cases continuing to rise?

P.S. I’m not sure if you realized it, but I think @Treetop Flyer was being sarcastic.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

SlickAg

pilot
I’m not interested in comparisons to America. I’d like you to explain to me why cases in South Korea haven’t been eradicated despite 99% mask compliance. You keep talking about how effective they are, yet the curve appears to be the same pretty much anywhere. And if masking works, why isn’t there a clear correlation between states with mask mandates and deaths? What exactly are masks preventing again?

SlickAg

pilot
I tired of the mask debate here a long time ago. But lets be fair now. @SlickAg chart on the previous page was CASES. The one above is DEATHs. Providing both charts are accurate, it tells a far different story then the effectiveness of masks in transmission.
Correct. I’m trying to understand his position as being either: masks prevent just cases, masks prevent deaths, or they prevent both. He’s showing normalized death comparisons between different countries and I’m showing non-normalized case counts showing what essentially amounts to Hope-Simpson seasonality.

Here’s another chart showing masking and an increase in cases.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Correct. I’m trying to understand his position as being that: masks prevent just cases, masks prevent deaths, or they prevent both. He’s showing normalized comparisons between different countries and I’m showing non-normalized case counts showing what essentially amounts to Hope-Simpson seasonality.

Here’s another chart showing masking and an increase in cases.

Its all about money and politics! Gotta keep moving the goalposts so we can flatten the curve!

taxi1

pilot
To be fair, there is some great work by scientists supporting the use of masks. Like this one that found some detrimental effects from wearing masks during exercise. Their recommendation: exercise less. SCIENCE!
I think if you're wearing a mask while exercising, you're dumb (or you're just required to). But I also think you should exercise outside during a pandemic, or at least in a place with a a ton of ventilation.
I’m not interested in comparisons to America. I’d like you to explain to me why cases in South Korea haven’t been eradicated despite 99% mask compliance. You keep talking about how effective they are, yet the curve appears to be the same pretty much anywhere. And if masking works, why isn’t there a clear correlation between states with mask mandates and deaths? What exactly are masks preventing again?
I encourage people who think masks don't work to visit a COVID ward without a mask.

Given the number of people where I work who are coming up positive for COVID, either due to reported symptoms or due to popping on the randomized tests that we have going on, versus the number of transmissions at work (1), the odds that masks don't work in reducing transmission are essentially zero. Hard data.

Masks working or not is a physics/biology problem, but you keep bringing in human behavior to muddy the water.

SlickAg

pilot
I think if you're wearing a mask while exercising, you're dumb (or you're just required to). But I also think you should exercise outside during a pandemic, or at least in a place with a a ton of ventilation.

I encourage people who think masks don't work to visit a COVID ward without a mask.

Given the number of people where I work who are coming up positive for COVID, either due to reported symptoms or due to popping on the randomized tests that we have going on, versus the number of transmissions at work (1), the odds that masks don't work in reducing transmission are essentially zero. Hard data.

Masks working or not is a physics/biology problem, but you keep bringing in human behavior to muddy the water.
Uh...I don’t know how to tell you this, but covid is a human disease now so uh...yeah, turns out we’re not robots. To clarify, your position is now that there’s nothing we can do as humans to modify our behavior and it just “muddies the water”, so you agree that NPIs don’t work and viruses will virus no matter what?

Aside from that little flaw in your argument, you’re telling me that as a scientist, you are basing your conclusions on YOUR own personal experiences with your colleagues? That’s seriously your only data set?

Again, why won’t you answer the question about South Korea, Ontario, Michigan, etc? If masks are so effective, why do they have ANY cases with such high mask compliance?

P.S. if vaccines are so effective, why should I be afraid to visit a covid ward without a mask? They’re either effective or they aren’t.

SlickAg

pilot
The economy and mental health in the countries that have managed the pandemic far better than we have, is either better or far better than it is here. People in Australia and New Zealand are going out to sporting events and concerts, and they aren't burying their older relatives left and right.

On your "if you are at high risk - stay home" argument, are you saying all of the dead in the nursing homes got it while out and about? Of course not.

In any community where the prevalence remains high, it ends up finding the old, the fat, the diabetic, the immune-challenged, the just plain unlucky, etc. According to @SlickAg, our attitude should be "screw'em" but I'm not so sure everyone agrees with that.

And it's the people who aren't going to die from it, or even feel that bad from it (most of them), that keep the prevalence high. The ones who for some reason feel that depriving the rest of the community of their potentially virus-laden respiratory aerosols is somehow infringing on their freedoms. Might as well argue you should be able to go around coughing right in people's faces.
You’re right dude, Australia sounds AWESOME!

So. Much. Winning.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Visit a COVID ward? That’s your argument?

Yes if everyone wore real deal n95 masks properly fitted and changed them and had discipline to wear them correctly, it might help somewhat. But the reality is that was never going to happen. Ordering chick fil a at the airport I got to watch over and over as customers and the employee stepped around the plastic barrier, leaned close to each other, and pulled their masks down to be understood with raised voices. It’s bullshit and it’s likely making things worse than if people did the actual thing that DOES work, stay the hell away from each other and stay home if you’re sick. Masks are simply the illusion of safety that politicians used to “allow” normal businesses to be open. It’s idiotic to compare to a hospital setting.

taxi1

pilot
To clarify, your position is now that there’s nothing we can do as humans to modify our behavior and it just “muddies the water”, so you agree that NPIs don’t work and viruses will virus no matter what?
You showed a chart that says absolutely zero about mask efficacy due to all of the confounding variables.

Where is the chart that compares the probability of death for people who wear a mask and are around others who wear them, as compared to ones that don’t, given that they are exposed similarly? Show me that one. That’s the test of NPIs.
P.S. if vaccines are so effective, why should I be afraid to visit a covid ward without a mask?
If you’ve been vaccinated, go for it. But the doctors and nurses in Covid wards still wear masks.

Because they work.
They’re either effective or they aren’t.
You never took a stats course?

SlickAg

pilot
You showed a chart that says absolutely zero about mask efficacy due to all of the confounding variables.

Where is the chart that compares the probability of death for people who wear a mask and are around others who wear them, as compared to ones that don’t, given that they are exposed similarly? Show me that one. That’s the test of NPIs.

If you’ve been vaccinated, go for it. But the doctors and nurses in Covid wards still wear masks.

Because they work.

You never took a stats course?
Of which chart are you speaking? The one showing no correlation between mask mandates and death rates? But a strong correlation between mask mandates and whether or not schools are open?

So now your argument is we should just keep wearing cloth masks forever? Always? No matter what? I’ll keep waiting for your answer on South Korea and why Michigan is doing worse than Texas. I know it won’t come though, because you can’t explain it using your same old talking points.

Apparently the Australians never took stats classes either. They’re going to keep the country locked down regardless of vaccines. Sounds like it’s right up your alley. If human behavior doesn’t matter like you said earlier, why is Australia closing their borders?

You know, the deHavilland Comet flew in a wind tunnel and was aerodynamically sound and engineered enough to go into production. Turns out that once it had been operational it had some issues which hadn’t come up during its testing. It should’ve been fine, right? Just like masks, a simple science problem. Except the real world isn’t a wind tunnel, or a controlled laboratory setting. Surprising that a PhD doesn’t understand that.

Here’s a chart comparing normalized deaths between Sweden and the UK. No mask mandate, no lockdowns. And it worked out better for which country again? The one without masks?

Last edited: