• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

jackjack

You’re right dude, Australia sounds AWESOME!

So. Much. Winning.

Did you just read the headline again? A Murdoch/Daily mail/News Corp/Fox news/Sky australia, hit piece. People can leave and return for approved reasons, mainly business orientated. They can also leave without preapproval to get back in, through various methods. Getting back into Australia is the issue and they wait in the line for a spot for 14 day hotel quarantine.

We don't have a fixed date to open our borders. As said within the article
With over 23million cases still active across the world, Mr Morrison has made no apologies for playing it safe.
'It's not safe right now to open up our international borders. Around the world, COVID-19 is still rife,' he said on Monday.
'We are still seeing increases in daily cases, particularly in the developing world... but around the world, it is still a very dangerous situation because of Covid.'

"Australia's government professor Brendan Murphy also said vaccine efficacy would help relax borders as soon as the second half of 2021.
'In all likelihood they will have a significant effect on transmission,' he said in February.
'If that's the case they should allow progressively over the second half of this year, some relaxation of border measures and other measures."

Of which chart are you speaking? The one showing no correlation between mask mandates and death rates? But a strong correlation between mask mandates and whether or not schools are open?

So now your argument is we should just keep wearing cloth masks forever? Always? No matter what? I’ll keep waiting for your answer on South Korea and why Michigan is doing worse than Texas. I know it won’t come though, because you can’t explain it using your same old talking points.

Apparently the Australians never took stats classes either. They’re going to keep the country locked down regardless of vaccines. Sounds like it’s right up your alley. If human behavior doesn’t matter like you said earlier, why is Australia closing their borders?

You know, the deHavilland Comet flew in a wind tunnel and was aerodynamically sound and engineered enough to go into production. Turns out that once it had been operational it had some issues which hadn’t come up during its testing. It should’ve been fine, right? Just like masks, a simple science problem. Except the real world isn’t a wind tunnel, or a controlled laboratory setting. Surprising that a PhD doesn’t understand that.

Here’s a chart comparing normalized deaths between Sweden and the UK. No mask mandate, no lockdowns. And it worked out better for which country again? The one without masks?

Did the Swedish chart really look ok to you?
Still they are only the 23rd worst country in the world, but doing better than the UK at 11th and US 14th

Last edited:

johnboyA6E

None
speaking of Australia, one of the best things I read about Prince Phillip...

When he arrived in Australia one time, they made a big thing of following the same protocol as they do with all visitors, and didn't give him special treatment. So, they they asked him the standard questions,

"have you ever been convicted of a crime?"

Phillip says "I didn't realize that was still a requirement"

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
People in the least-active group, who almost never exercised, wound up hospitalized because of Covid at twice the rate of people in the most-active group, and were subsequently about two-and-a-half times more likely to die.

~600,000 covid deaths in the United States and it turns out the fatties die from it more than double what the health nuts do, that tells me at least a couple hundred thousand wouldn't have happened if more people would get off their asses (that and eating more vegetables and less junk food).

It's not really news but it's a respectable study that quantifies what we already knew. It's also interesting that NYT is running a story about it.

Oh, almost forgot- I will never again feel any guilt for fat shaming anyone.
Why did you ever feel guilt for fat-shaming? Fucking over-apologetic Canadians...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We had a kangaroo court in the VT and did a Karnak the Magnificent sketch.
Yyyyyyes!! (for the reference)

One of the RAG classes just ahead of mine had a gameshow-style skit (little different than Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon) in which one of the questions was about the radar cross section of a periscope, a cruiser, and LT ___'s forehead (he was one of those guys with a really big head).

SlickAg

pilot
Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
She probably saved some lives with that embroidered Fauci pillow though.
“Dr. Fauci’s refusal to consider the larger societal impact of his Covid advice is an ongoing national tragedy. As politicians were following his advice and locking down last spring, Dr. Fauci described the impact on Americans as “inconvenient.” Millions of lost jobs and more than $4 trillion in federal debt later—amid abundant evidence that lockdowns didn’t work—he’s still urging restrictions on normal life. Last year he also acknowledged that he did no cost-benefit analysis and really had no idea what the consequences were for students: “I don’t have a good explanation, or solution to the problem of what happens when you close schools, and it triggers a cascade of events that could have some harmful circumstances.””

SlickAg

pilot
“We analyze the tone of COVID-19 related English-language news articles written since January 1, 2020. Ninety one percent of stories by U.S. major media outlets are negative in tone versus fifty four percent for non-U.S. major sources and sixty five percent for scientific journals. The negativity of the U.S. major media is notable even in areas with positive scientific developments including school re-openings and vaccine trials. Media negativity is unresponsive to changing trends in new COVID-19 cases or the political leanings of the audience. U.S. major media readers strongly prefer negative stories about COVID-19, and negative stories in general. Stories of increasing COVID-19 cases outnumber stories of decreasing cases by a factor of 5.5 even during periods when new cases are declining. Among U.S. major media outlets, stories discussing President Donald Trump and hydroxychloroquine are more numerous than all stories combined that cover companies and individual researchers working on COVID-19 vaccines.”

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not surprised by the overall message of your quote. "When it bleeds, it leads..." has long been a media mantra, and there's plenty of (actually pretty interesting) evidence to prove that. But I think they're wording needs to be massaged when they say "U.S. major media readers strongly prefer negative stories about COVID-19, and negative stories in general."

I'd argue there's lots of people that prefer positive stories, but that doesn't equate to what people decide to watch/read. Just a like a crash on the side of the road...Generally people don't wish that on other people, but when it's there, it's something to look at.

Sadly, like lots of other portions of media stories throughout history, negative stories about COVID are expected by those more "afraid" of it, thus reaffirming their fears, and discounted by those that have either grown numb to the stories or seek more than one source for any given story.

I'm not saying COVID is something to ignore, especially for certain populations (and how it can be spread to those populations), but there has to be a happy middle ground. But none of that is new here.

SlickAg

pilot
I'm not surprised by the overall message of your quote. "When it bleeds, it leads..." has long been a media mantra, and there's plenty of (actually pretty interesting) evidence to prove that. But I think they're wording needs to be massaged when they say "U.S. major media readers strongly prefer negative stories about COVID-19, and negative stories in general."

I'd argue there's lots of people that prefer positive stories, but that doesn't equate to what people decide to watch/read. Just a like a crash on the side of the road...Generally people don't wish that on other people, but when it's there, it's something to look at.

Sadly, like lots of other portions of media stories throughout history, negative stories about COVID are expected by those more "afraid" of it, thus reaffirming their fears, and discounted by those that have either grown numb to the stories or seek more than one source for any given story.

I'm not saying COVID is something to ignore, especially for certain populations (and how it can be spread to those populations), but there has to be a happy middle ground. But none of that is new here.
The part about Trump and HCQ having more stories written about it combined than cover vaccine development is pretty telling to me about whether or not there were any ulterior motives in regards to media coverage of covid. Sure, if it bleeds it leads has always been a major part of the news, as a CNN technical director just admitted during an exposé. Just like how he admitted they keep up the covid death count specifically to keep people afraid. And then he talked about how climate change is the next big thing, except they’re going to label it instead “climate emergency”. Sure enough, right on cue...