• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

SlickAg

pilot
Holy moly, it's a Festivus miracle- the judicial branch and journalism both serving a purpose!
More miracles: CNN joins the New York Times in writing a piece critical of a Democrat.

Coronabros, if the WaPo piles on, will that be enough for y’all to accept it as the truth? Or will Fredo I mean Chris Cuomo have to say something too?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
More miracles: CNN joins the New York Times in writing a piece critical of a Democrat.

Coronabros, if the WaPo piles on, will that be enough for y’all to accept it as the truth? Or will Fredo I mean Chris Cuomo have to say something too?

Well, it’s not an election cycle anymore, so those media outlets are just seizing the opportunity to reset their reporting senior’s average, so to speak, with regard to pretending to be unbiased.

taxi1

pilot
So how would you compare and contrast the US response vs Europe?
Focusing on results...since we are about the worst in the world, we are definitely worse than Europe. But even then, Europe is not monolithic. The Scandinavian countries, Greece, and a few others have fared far better than us with respect to both the economy and avoiding deaths, even with lots of borders. That chart I grabbed doesn't have all of them.

We're the richest, most technologically advanced country in the history of the planet. To then also be one of the worst on the planet in protecting its own people is deeply saddening to me.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
People don’t necessarily want to “be protected” and that’s a huge difference between our form of government/independence and that of governments who are more restrictive/authoritarian.

Also, see the number of countries at the top that are islands (Australia/Taiwan/Iceland) or de-facto islands (SK/Rwanda) due to lack of direct migration across borders because of DMZ/location/population etc...

Kind of hard to compare the situation in Los Angeles, which has a larger/denser population than 5/10 of those countries, forget the US as a whole.

Not arguing our reaction was perfect, by any means, but comparisons like the above graph are stupid and over-simplified.

taxi1

pilot
People don’t necessarily want to “be protected”...
Have you seen the lines and fervor to get the vaccine? A lot of people sure don't want to get the virus.

With Covid too, the people spreading the virus mostly aren't the people dying from the virus.
Also, see the number of countries at the top that are islands (Australia/Taiwan/Iceland) or de-facto islands (SK/Rwanda) due to lack of direct migration across borders because of DMZ/location/population etc...
Yeah, it was a restrictive list of countries. This site has flexible plotting capability, although the curves are not mixes of metrics.
comparisons like the above graph are stupid and over-simplified
The fundamental number is how many die per capita. If we are orders of magnitude worse off from some comparable countries (we are) than I don't know how you spin it as something other than a failure.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Have you seen the lines and fervor to get the vaccine? A lot of people sure don't want to get the virus.

With Covid too, the people spreading the virus mostly aren't the people dying from the virus.

Yeah, it was a restrictive list of countries. This site has flexible plotting capability, although the curves are not mixes of metrics.

The fundamental number is how many die per capita. If we are orders of magnitude worse off from some comparable countries (we are) than I don't know how you spin it as something other than a failure.
They have the UK ranked above us with worse deaths per capita and a more draconian response. So no, it’s not about deaths, it’s a stupid study that you chose because it says what you wanted it to say.

taxi1

pilot
They have the UK ranked above us with worse deaths per capita and a more draconian response. So no, it’s not about deaths, it’s a stupid study that you chose because it says what you wanted it to say.
You just made zero sense. Are you arguing our response didn't suck?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You just made zero sense. Are you arguing our response didn't suck?
You said “The fundamental number is how many die per capita. If we are orders of magnitude worse off from some comparable countries (we are) than I don't know how you spin it as something other than a failure.”

While defending the study you posted. That study says the UK did better than us even though they have more deaths per million and have instituted stricter and longer lockdowns. I think our response was largely irrelevant other than mobilizing resources and vaccine production, which we did well at. It was coming here anyway. It was already here back when Fauci told us it wasn’t a threat. Since then, some states and localities have tried to “do something” and others didn’t. The end result is basically the same. Just like Western Europe.

taxi1

pilot
That study says the UK did better than us even though they have more deaths per million and have instituted stricter and longer lockdowns.
Yeah, in that chart they are mixing in other aspects, like testing, tracing, and vaccination rates. In those metrics, the UK is actually well ahead of most the globe.

But the new UK variant, more contagious and (likely) more deadly, has overcome the standard mitigations and now they screwed, as per the chart. It's here too, along with the Brazil and SA variants. We're going to be screwed too.

I think our response was largely irrelevant other than mobilizing resources and vaccine production, which we did well at.
We've done very well at the vaccine, for sure.

I'd say the rest of it we get a D- to an F+. Lack of PPE (even now), lack of testing, lack of genetic tracking, lack of consistent messaging, politicization, states competing with each other for resources, Hydroxychloroquine ratholes, simultaneously pursuing herd immunity while prepping vaccines. I struggle think of a more screwed up response short of just convincing everyone to attend a Covid party and get it in one week.

The Scandinavian countries and the modern Asian ones (Taiwan, Japan, SK, etc.) have all done far better than we have, in spite of the fact that it was going there too. Use that chart to see.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
“Yeah, in that chart they are mixing in other aspects, like testing, tracing, and vaccination rates. In those metrics, the UK is actually well ahead of most the globe.”

It’s fundamentally about deaths. They have more deaths, but they are doing great at testing and locking down so gold star for them. You are not a serious person.