• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The difference is we have to maintain a deployable force capable of exigent operations and a defined battle rhythm. Grandma and Grandpa dying, while sad, does not have the global implications a carrier getting stuck in Guam or a unit being unable to deploy has.

We are more important than the average American, thus the reason we are at the head of the line.
Hahaha

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Drifting the topic...I doubt you're a potential superspreader, but there's interesting arguments to be made to vaccinate the out-and-about people too, at least the superspreader types. The typical victims (old people) are at the ends of the social networks. You interrupt the nodes in the middle of the mesh, you interrupt the spread.

It's essentially what we did on our counter-terror stuff. where it was ideology instead of a virus. Find the nodes and eliminate them.

We should be offering free vaccinations at lady's night at Hooters. Maybe church bingo.
The CDC estimates that as of Nov 30th 91 million Americans have been infected. Young people out and about are the bulk of that, and that’s a good thing. Having likely a third of the population with some immunity is a good thing, and if the goal is to save lives the vaccine needs to go to the elderly, not the people most likely to have already been exposed and face the least risk.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This would segue to a whole separate argument, if the goal is to save lives, should Americans get ANY of the vaccine ahead of countries with a less robust medical infrastructure?

I don’t think Americans are willing to wait while South/Central American, African, and many European nations get the vaccines first, because they are at more risk of dying than their counterpart here in the US.

At some point there has to be a valuation on life for more than just the sake of living. Prioritization has to happen, and I think the producers/protectors/caretakers should be at the head of the line.

Watching my family have to wait for the vaccine behind incarcerated criminals, merely because they are in a confinement facility and at higher risk, seems pretty ridiculous to me.

We have a finite resource, and I have a hard time justifying expending it on groups based on risk versus utility.

Of course, that slippery slope could lead to other healthcare decisions....

Treetop Flyer

pilot
This would segue to a whole separate argument, if the goal is to save lives, should Americans get ANY of the vaccine ahead of countries with a less robust medical infrastructure?

I don’t think Americans are willing to wait while South/Central American, African, and many European nations get the vaccines first, because they are at more risk of dying than their counterpart here in the US.

At some point there has to be a valuation on life for more than just the sake of living. Prioritization has to happen, and I think the producers/protectors/caretakers should be at the head of the line.

Watching my family have to wait for the vaccine behind incarcerated criminals, merely because they are in a confinement facility and at higher risk, seems pretty ridiculous to me.

We have a finite resource, and I have a hard time justifying expending it on groups based on risk versus utility.

Of course, that slippery slope could lead to other healthcare decisions....
You’re right, bringing up foreign countries is a whole separate argument.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Some doctors think that taking zinc plus an ionophore, such as EGCG or turmeric, can prevent SARS-COV2 from replicating in the body. It’s intriguing because those are basic vitamins/spices (no Rx needed), there is little downside to taking them, and it doesn’t prevent you from also getting the mRNA vaccine or taking other medication, if you wish.

BigRed389

None
The difference is we have to maintain a deployable force capable of exigent operations and a defined battle rhythm. Grandma and Grandpa dying, while sad, does not have the global implications a carrier getting stuck in Guam or a unit being unable to deploy has.

We are more important than the average American, thus the reason we are at the head of the line.

Or if we ever want to be allowed in by other nations to have port visits that are worth a shit for QOL while the pandemic goes on.

And for the process of deploying or flying through another nation to not be more of a pain in the ass than it needs to be.

Priority should only apply to operational/deploying forces though...I'm at minimal risk and on shore duty. Happy to go to the back of the line.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The CDC estimates that as of Nov 30th 91 million Americans have been infected. Young people out and about are the bulk of that, and that’s a good thing. Having likely a third of the population with some immunity is a good thing, and if the goal is to save lives the vaccine needs to go to the elderly, not the people most likely to have already been exposed and face the least risk.

Does being infected make one immune? From what I've seen there it is still unknown if it does or for how long.

Some doctors think that taking zinc plus an ionophore, such as EGCG or turmeric, can prevent SARS-COV2 from replicating in the body. It’s intriguing because those are basic vitamins/spices (no Rx needed), there is little downside to taking them, and it doesn’t prevent you from also getting the mRNA vaccine or taking other medication, if you wish.

That's nice, they have any proof?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Does being infected make one immune? From what I've seen there it is still unknown if it does or for how long.

That's nice, they have any proof?
I’m sure there are varying degrees of immunity but lots of studies agree that most people have lasting immunity. Also 4-5 to 1 infections to reported cases implies that a LOT of people had little to no symptoms so it’s unlikely those people would get a severe case the second time around.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m sure there are varying degrees of immunity but lots of studies agree that most people have lasting immunity. Also 4-5 to 1 infections to reported cases implies that a LOT of people had little to no symptoms so it’s unlikely those people would get a severe case the second time around.

I don't think we can make statements like that with any certainty with a virus that is only months and not years old. I don't think anyone can say how much or how long immunity lasts for folks or whether or not folks can be reinfected, especially given that variants are already appearing around the globe. Not only that, without much more widespread and better testing I don't think we can say with much confidence how many folks have been exposed or infected and to what degree they have been.

SlickAg

pilot
I don't think we can make statements like that with any certainty with a virus that is only months and not years old. I don't think anyone can say how much or how long immunity lasts for folks or whether or not folks can be reinfected, especially given that variants are already appearing around the globe. Not only that, without much more widespread and better testing I don't think we can say with much confidence how many folks have been exposed or infected and to what degree they have been.
Wait a minute...so you’re saying the WaPo isn’t omniscient??