• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

taxi1

pilot
Looks like he visited the best public school in Finland and tried to compare it to the worst public school in the states (metal detectors, facilities in disrepair, etc). It's not all doom and gloom at every public school.

Interesting to read that Finland spends around $13,865 per pupil (as of 2014) meanwhile Baltimore spends around $16,184 per pupil (3rd highest in the country) and yet Baltimore manages to be the worst district in the state of MD (the wealthiest state).
I live in a place with great public schools, so I won't disagree.

If they've found a way to blow off homework and standardized testing and still churn out excellence, it's worth stealing their best ideas. The interesting thing is they cite us as an inspiration for those best ideas. Go figure.

Back to COVID, we were in-person in the Fall until the wave hit, and in fact they were unable to staff the open schools due to the numbers of ill and quarantined among the staff so they had to go remote.

The new variant of COVID from the UK appears to be more contagious for the K-12 ages then the plain old Mk1 Mod0 virus, which will complicate things for the Spring.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like he visited the best public school in Finland and tried to compare it to the worst public school in the states (metal detectors, facilities in disrepair, etc). It's not all doom and gloom at every public school.
Standard for his MO, and that’s the problem. Moore is to the left as James O’Keefe is to the right. Whether they’re right or wrong on any given policy issue, they’re still both dishonest peddlers of political agitprop regardless.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Standard for his MO, and that’s the problem. Moore is to the left as James O’Keefe is to the right. Whether they’re right or wrong on any given policy issue, they’re still both dishonest peddlers of political agitprop regardless.
Oh, I know. I believe I've never watched a single one of his propaganda films.

minor threadjack, back to spending money on education, why is it the cities spend the most, but have the worst results? Is it the educators, students/ home-life, parents (or lack thereof). Throwing more money at education isn't going to fix it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Oh, I know. I believe I've never watched a single one of his propaganda films.

minor threadjack, back to spending money on education, why is it the cities spend the most, but have the worst results? Is it the educators, students/ home-life, parents (or lack thereof). Throwing more money at education isn't going to fix it.
What schoolbubba said. Plus the simple fact that cities are typically expensive to begin with. The basic fact though is that ones potential is largely decided at birth. A caring, supportive, engaged, competent family can raise the ceiling a bit, but not as dramatically as the reverse can lower it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Decent article from BBC on the background of virology research. Gets to the point much better.
It's more than just a decent article- and thank you for the link!

It has decent background on the virology research, as you said, the what and why as well as the collaboration (who).

The article is also insightful for the passive-aggressive games the regime is playing with the foreign press. Yes, it's their sovereign country so they can do as they please with foreign press. This is the same regime that denies the Tiananmen Square Massacre ever happened, let's not lose sight of that.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The article doesn’t actually support that assertion with any facts.
The article links to the official Finnish educational standards page, which talks specifically about the importance of formal, standardized assessments.

The idea that students can go to school and never have to do HW to reinforce learning and never have to take examinations to determine if they meet minimum standards yet score the best on some multi-national standardized examination should make anyone throw the BS flag because it's contrary to hundreds of years of educational research. The fact that Michael Moore made a video about it just means you don't even have to go that far.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
I got offered the vaccine yesterday, seems stupid the Navy is vaccinating young healthy people while people actually at risk wait
Drifting the topic...I doubt you're a potential superspreader, but there's interesting arguments to be made to vaccinate the out-and-about people too, at least the superspreader types. The typical victims (old people) are at the ends of the social networks. You interrupt the nodes in the middle of the mesh, you interrupt the spread.

It's essentially what we did on our counter-terror stuff. where it was ideology instead of a virus. Find the nodes and eliminate them.

We should be offering free vaccinations at lady's night at Hooters. Maybe church bingo.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I got offered the vaccine yesterday, seems stupid the Navy is vaccinating young healthy people while people actually at risk wait
The difference is we have to maintain a deployable force capable of exigent operations and a defined battle rhythm. Grandma and Grandpa dying, while sad, does not have the global implications a carrier getting stuck in Guam or a unit being unable to deploy has.

We are more important than the average American, thus the reason we are at the head of the line.