• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Maybe it isn't the teachers so much as it is your kids that are able to get it done, my 2 in college for last quarter between them ended up with 4 - A's, 1 - A minus, and 1 - B plus
Anecdotal evidence or not, I think if research were out there that virtual learning was equally effective to in-residence learning for K-12 then our educational model in the U.S. would have started to shift a half a decade ago.

The issue isn't bright college students or honor roll high school students. The issue is young elementary school children who can barely read (because they're 6, not because they're disadvantaged) and need someone to coach them on how to do the work and what the directions mean, that they need to learn from someone to employ learning techniques that children respond to, that there are dozens more distractors at home than in the school environment that detract from learning, etc. There are millions of families right now where mom and dad have to juggle teleworking with getting 7 year-old Johnny to sit at a computer for 5 hours a day do to his work, and a good amount of families end up missing some assignments for one reason or another. Part of this is some teachers are not very good at organizing the assignment list and promulgating it in a one-stop-shopping location, which makes it difficult for both children and parents to figure out what needs to be done. My personal frustration is teachers who 'trickle' the assignments throughout the day vice just putting out a schedule in the AM...nothing like a 9 year old who thinks she's done with her work for the day at 1410 and then we get a notification of an assignment posted at 1430 and have to put her back into 'school' mode.

If we're saying that virtual learning is as effective as in-residence learning at the K-12 level, the implied conclusion is that we can save a whole lot of taxpayer dollars by permanently shutting down brick-and-mortar schools and that the education and training teachers receive to perform in their profession is superfluous.

There seems to be a movement for equality in education that focuses on dragging down the top performers rather than lifting up the bottom
In many states, schools at the elementary school level have shifted away from grades. We now get report cards that read like FITREPs on steroids. Teachers are even employing the 'forward progression over the course of the school year' methodology to giving out marks because they are supposed to be standardized to end of year expectations, which doesn't help me as a parent whatsoever determine what my children's weak areas are and what to focus on at home (and yes, we have to come up with it because sometime in the last 20 years we decided HW wasn't a valuable educational tool at the elementary school level). Like oh, my 3rd grader can't do end of year 3rd grade math in October? Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:

BigRed389

None
I’m comfortable that the truth is on my side, which is, we still cannot rule out that it wasn’t an accidental leak from the nearby BSL4 lab in Wuhan that we know for an absolute fact stored and studied bat coronaviruses.
And like I said, it’s entirely fine to say we can’t rule it out. That’s not inaccurate.

However, at the current level of uncertainty (1>P>0), it doesn’t really change anything or tell us much that is useful other than that in a general sense, bio agent research is risky and we should pay more attention to how it is done.

Which watching various disease thriller movies like Contagion could also tell you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Interesting indeed. A little disappointing that the article stopped short of producing a 'what-if analysis.' As in, "what if the 2020-2021 flu season was going to be similar to historical averages, and if 60 / 80 / 100% of the delta in flu cases are counted as COVID cases, how does that adjust the COVID-19 case and fatality rate over the last few months?" We could still be seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases and fatalities, albeit less than being reported.

taxi1

pilot
and yes, we have to come up with it because sometime in the last 20 years we decided HW wasn't a valuable educational tool at the elementary school level).
Thread drift, but you should watch Michael Moore’s Where to Invade Next. OK, just the segment on Finland, which has one of the worlds best education systems. I learned something new.

In Finland: education policy (almost no homework, no standardized testing)...
The segment on school meals in France was good too.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thread drift, but you should watch Michael Moore’s Where to Invade Next.
Anyone who takes Michael Moore seriously does so at the extreme risk of their own credibility. He probably has insane chiropractor bills, given what he must do to his back to be able to speak with his head so far up his own ass. It's like a 3-dimensional alimentary Moebius strip.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Bummer. I don’t have kids but according to my brothers (and pretty much everyone else I’ve heard) the virtual learning isn’t effective and the kids are miserable. There’s mountains of data worldwide that points to keeping kids in school. Teachers should go to work or get replaced, but in places like Fairfax the teachers union and local government prefer to sacrifice children’s education and well being. My brother makes enough money to hire tutors and make up the difference. Poor kids are just screwed.

You bring up a good point. The effectiveness of online learning doesn’t necessarily equate to the how much effort the teachers put in.

My sister in law was saying it’s like herding cats. No matter how much she tries to make it engaging, etc, it’s more work for her just to get the kids to do their work, pay attention during the lectures, etc.

I agree though, in person school is so much better for the kids.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
In many states, schools at the elementary school level have shifted away from grades. We now get report cards that read like FITREPs on steroids. Teachers are even employing the 'forward progression over the course of the school year' methodology to giving out marks because they are supposed to be standardized to end of year expectations, which doesn't help me as a parent whatsoever determine what my children's weak areas are and what to focus on at home (and yes, we have to come up with it because sometime in the last 20 years we decided HW wasn't a valuable educational tool at the elementary school level). Like oh, my 3rd grader can't do end of year 3rd grade math in October? Thanks for the insight!

That's BS, time to homeschool

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I take Finland seriously, and their kids don’t do (much) homework at all yet have better educational outcomes. And they really hate standardized tests.

Looks like he visited the best public school in Finland and tried to compare it to the worst public school in the states (metal detectors, facilities in disrepair, etc). It's not all doom and gloom at every public school.

Interesting to read that Finland spends around $13,865 per pupil (as of 2014) meanwhile Baltimore spends around $16,184 per pupil (3rd highest in the country) and yet Baltimore manages to be the worst district in the state of MD (the wealthiest state).